Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing a model's texture size

• 06-04-2015 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Does anyone know off hand if you can reduce a 3d model's texture size in something like paint.net, and use the smaller texture with the model without any further manipulation? Say, a model with a 2048 texture, which you'd like to reduce to 512 or 256. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 oisincar

I could be completely wrong, but I think I remember just scaling the texture and it working fine. In unity that is. I'm sure there's loads of free programs to scale textures with, like Gimp.

If Gimp is anything like photoshop (which it is) it should be something like edit>image size>stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Tested it on a few models and it appears to work ok. Had done it before with planes, but wasn't sure about more complex shapes, or if it might cause problems that wouldn't be immediately obvious.

Advertisement