Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking treatment

• 06-04-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi have decking in the back garden of the house we bought. Manged to clean away all the moss and flaking but still in a pretty bad way. Fence posts are very dark and I'm struggling to find a suitable treatment, oil or stain. Also as its a big enough deck it's going to cost a bit. All thoughts or suggestions welcome. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NewArklow2012

Also any ideas how to post photos from iPad?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Not sure how to post from iPad, I imagine you're simply adding attachments as normal?

I'm researching decking treatment too. Depending on the state of your deck you may need a treatment to remove algae, possibly even sand it down or scrape off old flaking paint.

I use Ronseals decking stain, it's very good, the wood soaks it up so requires 2 or 3 coats but looks great and lasts well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NewArklow2012

Thanks Darren got the ronseal oil today so hopefully will turn out ok. Thanks for reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I dont think you have enough posts to post photos.

Let us know how you get on with the ronseal, I've a huge decking to do too..

I've just looked online at that ronseal decking oil, £40 for a tub that does 5sqm, holy sh!t. I've 40sqm of decking to do!!!

• Advertisement

Cancel that - its 5sqm per litre.. phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

I pressure washed and then treated ours this time last year with Ronseal total wood preservative followed by Cuprinol anti-slip deck stain and it has weathered the winter well and should be good for a while to come yet. Also the anti slip stain has made a huge difference to the deck when it's wet, so if it is stain you want as opposed to oil I'd go for the Cuprinol.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

How would you recommend manage mine? Mine has a lot of green algae so need to remove that. I read online that a chlorine wash would be needed but have never cleaned a deck before. Have to stain it afterwards, used Ronseal to date for that. Not actually sure what the difference is between staining and other types :)

Edit: Oh wait, I've been using Ronseal's decking oil each year. Should I continue with oil or should I switch to staining I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

How would you recommend manage mine? Mine has a lot of green algae so need to remove that. I read online that a chlorine wash would be needed but have never cleaned a deck before. Have to stain it afterwards, used Ronseal to date for that. Not actually sure what the difference is between staining and other types :)

Edit: Oh wait, I've been using Ronseal's decking oil each year. Should I continue with oil or should I switch to staining I wonder?

You'll definitely need something to kill off the algae- I think most of the products for this are bleach/chlorine based alright. I'd probably go with an oil initially after using the bleach to try minimise the effect of it on the timber - I'm no expert at this, but we did this with our table and chairs and it worked ok. Took around 3 coats of oil to restore the colour after though so be wary of that downside.

Advertisement