Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changed chain - Now have rear dérailleur issue

• 06-04-2015 6:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I changed the chain on my bike but now have a rear derailleur problem.

The bike hasn't been used for a good few months now but worked fine last time it was used.

Big cog on front derailleur
    DSCN0500.jpg

Small cog on front derailleur
    DSCN0501.jpg

As you can see when I'm on the big cog on the front derailleur it's ok (ish) but when I changed to the small cog on the front derailleur the rear derailleur falls back in on itself.

I got a 9 speed chain assuming that it fitted a 9 cog cassette.

Any ideas as to what's going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Looks like your chain is too long, measure it against your old one and you'll know for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As monkeyslayer said.

Did you measure it against the old one. Have you still got the old one?

If you don't have the old one you'll need to put it on both extremes to check the length - i.e. needs to fit largest rear on large front and smallest rear on small front. If in doubt remove one link at a time (measure twice-cut once).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just to add that chains are sold to accommodate a large rear sprocket such as a 30 coupled with a 53 at the front. The vast majority of set-ups don't require that length and the chain is shortened to the required size.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yup the chain is too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd say you have 4 or 5 links too many on the chain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd say you have 4 or 5 links too many on the chain.

Good guess!

Advertisement