Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three/O2 Merge

Options
  • 06-04-2015 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

I'd wager I'm not the only one thinking about this, but here goes - I signed a 24 month contract with O2 this time last year. Rarely had any trouble with them and have recommended them to friends on numerous occasions such was my satisfaction with them. Fast forward a year, and Three take them over. I think it's been about a month, give or take a few days, that Three are now my provider and though I received countless notices of "nothing will change on your end", my 3G connection is now terrible to the point where it is often unusable. Can't log on to various apps, cant send mails, receiving mails in bundles etc. Just incredibly frustrating inconsistencies in coverage.

I'm sure they've covered themselves somehow, but when I chose O2 I chose them because of their good reputation on both coverage and customer care, which were the 2 same reasons - but on the other end of the scale - I specifically avoided Three for.

How is this allowed, and is there no way out of this contract without having to pay 12 months worth of bills in cancellations fees up front?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It is possible to terminate the contract due to poor performance by the provider however you need to give your case credibility by demonstrating you have complained to the provider and that you have allowed them reasonable time to resolve or compensate for the issue and that they failed to do satisfactorily. If you're experiencing problems in a particular location, e.g inside your home, but not elsewhere then that is unlikely to be sufficient reason.

Mod mode : If you wish I can move your query to the Talk to... Three forum where an official rep will try to assist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Not that 3 customers will notice the difference but http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/three-network-down-for-many-of-2m-customers-nationwide-31121744.html

Many of the company’s 1.5m customers have been unable to text or make calls since around 3pm this afternoon.

The company's official account tweeted:

"Some customers may be experiencing issues with their service. We’re working on getting this fixed ASAP. Sorry for any inconvenience caused."

Customers of Tesco Mobile, which uses Three's network, are also affected by the ongoing outage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That outage was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

I'd like to move network but is there an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

dvdman1 wrote: »
    I'd like to move network but is there an alternative?

Vodafone - can't remember their last big outage.
    Meteor / e-mobile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree. I never had a problem with O2 as my broadband provider and if they ever needed to do any upgrades to the network they told you first and said if it would be off for a while or not. They even told you the times it would be of from. I had been with O2 at least 5years if not more and not once did the price change.
    3 takes over O2 and sends out a letter saying nothing will change. Then they send out another one saying the price is going up by 5euro,s a month how is that nothing. Then yesterday the network was down for the whole or most of the day.
    Instead of making things better they are making it worse.
    I certainly will not be staying with them.
    Anyone else here besides me and the OP missing O2 already.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

AMKC wrote: »
    Yes. As night follows day.
    But I'm using my Vodafone smartphone to type this.
    Also did a survey for 3 the other day.There was also a competition with a cringeworthy question about a certain TV show and host. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be fair, the outage yesterday was unplanned. Big difference to a planned outage.

If Three have notified you that your price plan is changing, then you can cancel the contract, citing the change in T&Cs as a reason. You have a month from the date of notification to cancel, otherwise you are deemed to have accepted the changes.

Ironically, in comparison to most of the posters, I deliberately avoided O2 due to their hefty prices and poor service from years back. I've been with Three for over 4 years and am very pleased with them overall. Different experiences for different people. If I had to change, I'd go back to Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Paulw wrote: »
    Vodafone - can't remember their last big outage.
    Meteor / e-mobile

Both Vodafone and Meteor have had outages in the past. I don't think it'll be the last time a network has outages either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

All the complainers about the outage seem to be ignoring the fact that it was a former o2 data centre that failed.

Basically Telefonica had agreed to sell the o2 business to Three almost 2 years ago (June 2013) - and once they knew the sale was imminent, you can be sure that investment in infrastructure and upgrades would be minimal.

With technology moving at a fast pace and useage of phones for data streaking ahead, then unlesss capacity was increased, outages were bound ot happen.

The fact that it happened so soon after the official handover is just down to bad luck. But if you have any gripes about it - it should be directed to telephonica who failed to keep the infrastructure up to date. (including its 4g service which was almost non existent!)

The good news is Three is owned by one of the largest companies in the work (Hutchinson Whampoa) and they have the cash to invest in the network and have stated they want to become the largest mobile operator in Europe. (they are buying o2 uk too).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

The outage by itself doesn't bother me too much but it's the latest in what has been a significant drop in service for me since I was moved over to Three. It's just frustrating coming from a service I was very happy with. Technically, I couldn't tell you why it's gotten worse as I don't know enough about that side of things, all I know is that it has deteriorated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

The outage by itself doesn't bother me too much but it's the latest in what has been a significant drop in service for me since I was moved over to Three. It's just frustrating coming from a service I was very happy with. Technically, I couldn't tell you why it's gotten worse as I don't know enough about that side of things, all I know is that it has deteriorated.

from what I know through someone who works in the area, Three have made no major changes yet, except if you are out of coverage of an o2 mast you roam ona three mast - likewise three customers will roam on o2 masts if out of coverage of a three mast. Otherwise o2 customers are still on o2 masts and using o2 datacentres.

My guess is the lack of investment by Telefonica for the past 2 years is catching upon the system and without immediate upgrading there's be a lot more problems. In telecommunications, 2 years is a long time.

From news articles they had expected the deal to conclude last summer - but regulatory delays and appeals held that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

Interesting thread, OP.

I deactivated my voicemail two years ago, while with o2. But it suddenly sprang to life yesterday.

The guy in Three(yes, I got through pretty much straight away, and yes, he was very courteous) could not tell me why it suddenly reactivated itself. He assured me that it is now deactivated and confirmed that it had been deactivated also in 2013.

I'm wondering if this is a mere coincidence with Three takeover? And if it's only happened to me by some fluke?

I also agree with posters expressing disappointment with the recent lengthy (approx 3pm-10pm for me) outage on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I was annoyed that pre pay could move to three deals unless we lost all our credit and got a new sim. The good thing is it made me look at other operators and we moved to Tesco (I know they use three but uts still not three I am paying). And prices are much better than O2....

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I been having a lot of hassle with three since the switchover! Like the OP, I chose O2 for a specific reason and had been with o2 with no problems for 10 years! One week with three and I already have a ton of issues.

The main one being that I cant avail of their payplans. They were hammering on for months on radio that they have "1 million new customers" yet we are not treated as new customers. In fact, the reason why I cant avail of the three payplans is because all our sim cards (even if you got new ones) are registered to be o2 sims! So you have to go and get your phone unlocked in order to get anything three associated. If it was a merger, EVERYTHING should have been transferred. This o2 sim thing is a load of b*ll*x! If things don't change in the next few weeks, I will be moving networks!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Ashbx wrote: »
    I been having a lot of hassle with three since the switchover! Like the OP, I chose O2 for a specific reason and had been with o2 with no problems for 10 years! One week with three and I already have a ton of issues.

The main one being that I cant avail of their payplans. They were hammering on for months on radio that they have "1 million new customers" yet we are not treated as new customers. In fact, the reason why I cant avail of the three payplans is because all our sim cards (even if you got new ones) are registered to be o2 sims! So you have to go and get your phone unlocked in order to get anything three associated. If it was a merger, EVERYTHING should have been transferred. This o2 sim thing is a load of b*ll*x! If things don't change in the next few weeks, I will be moving networks!

Ask to get your phone unlocked, it's not a major process. They'll have to port you to 3 as they haven't finalized the merging of the networks which is a huge task, they're probably still using O2's billing system for O2 customers and just changed the branding on the bills themselves (moving every O2 customer to their billing system would be a huge task and would require a ridiculous amount of changes, changing the layout of a PDF is a relatively easy task).

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Ask to get your phone unlocked, it's not a major process. They'll have to port you to 3 as they haven't finalized the merging of the networks which is a huge task, they're probably still using O2's billing system for O2 customers and just changed the branding on the bills themselves (moving every O2 customer to their billing system would be a huge task and would require a ridiculous amount of changes, changing the layout of a PDF is a relatively easy task).

Thanks - makes sense! I have a blackberry and they told me it would take 21 days to unlock. I ended up buying a new phone yesterday (I was getting a new one anyway). But because I have an o2 registered SIM I have to activate this SIM first, make sure the SIM has been used for at least 10 days, then get onto three to unlock the phone and get a new SIM card then and activate that new SIM in order to get the pay plans.

I understand what you are saying but I wish they had sorted all this BEFORE the merger took place!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jimb433

AMKC wrote: »
    I agree. I never had a problem with O2 as my broadband provider and if they ever needed to do any upgrades to the network they told you first and said if it would be off for a while or not. They even told you the times it would be of from. I had been with O2 at least 5years if not more and not once did the price change.
    3 takes over O2 and sends out a letter saying nothing will change. Then they send out another one saying the price is going up by 5euro,s a month how is that nothing. Then yesterday the network was down for the whole or most of the day.
    Instead of making things better they are making it worse.
    I certainly will not be staying with them.

as soon as my contract is up , I'm gone o2 where great , 3 are a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They're spending 500 million with Nokia to move both networks over a new combined 2G and 3G platform. That hasn't happened yet.

The 3 4G network is Samsung gear and that's being integrated and expanded. There's no former O2 4G network as they never built one due to the impending sale cancelling the project! They've a couple of test cells and that's it!

The networks should see improvements as the next few months roll on. Combining two networks with different equipment vendors isn't as straightforward as you might think.

Telefonica didn't spend anything they didn't need to for the last couple of years. I agree, that's Joe showing up. The recent failure sounds like an air conditioner maintenance fault not an IT issue - the data centre overheated and tripped out.

To me that screams : no money was spent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They're spending 500 million with Nokia to move both networks over a new combined 2G and 3G platform. That hasn't happened yet.

The 3 4G network is Samsung gear and that's being integrated and expanded. There's no former O2 4G network as they never built one due to the impending sale cancelling the project! They've a couple of test cells and that's it!

The networks should see improvements as the next few months roll on. Combining two networks with different equipment vendors isn't as straightforward as you might think.

Telefonica didn't spend anything they didn't need to for the last couple of years. I agree, that's Joe showing up. The recent failure sounds like an air conditioner maintenance fault not an IT issue - the data centre overheated and tripped out.

To me that screams : no money was spent!

But three won't keep all the masts sites because they don't need them all so some people will end up with a worse signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Notice the 30 day prepay freedom plan benefits have been reduced for new customers since 3 took over 02. Someone joining now wont get calls to any network except at weekends. Some improvement! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

my3cents wrote: »
    But three won't keep all the masts sites because they don't need them all so some people will end up with a worse signal.

Why would they remove masts if it degrades service?
    Does not make sense to do this while investing in network upgrades. I would imagine most O2 mobile base station sites are shared and already have Three base stations. I can understand them decommissioning redundant equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Cerco wrote: »
    Why would they remove masts if it degrades service?
    Does not make sense to do this while investing in network upgrades. I would imagine most O2 mobile base station sites are shared and already have Three base stations. I can understand them decommissioning redundant equipment.

Because twice as much equipment costs twice as much, and the majority of masts aren't shared between O2 and Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

my3cents wrote: »

if there is an o2 mast close to a Three mast and they cover the same area why would they keep both masts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Can't get a 3G signal at all now. Between the middle of Dunshaughlin and in Ratoath. My contract doesn't expire until September or thereabouts.

Since they appear to be shutting down masts my question is, are old O2 and old 3 customers all using the same masts or can I go in to a 3 shop and ask them to replace my SIM so that I get better coverage?

In any event I will be moving provider at the end of my contract (been with O2 for 15 years).

Can't get a 3G signal at all now. Between the middle of Dunshaughlin and in Ratoath. My contract doesn't expire until September or thereabouts.

Since they appear to be shutting down masts my question is, are old O2 and old 3 customers all using the same masts or can I go in to a 3 shop and ask them to replace my SIM so that I get better coverage?

In any event I will be moving provider at the end of my contract (been with O2 for 15 years).

you might want to ask that in the Talk to Three forum. http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1367

This might be a total coincidence, but would there be any correlation between my moving from O2 to Three, and the Wifi connection on my phone suddenly being terrible? Not speed-wise, but in terms of actually establishing a connection to my home Wifi.

This might be a total coincidence, but would there be any correlation between my moving from O2 to Three, and the Wifi connection on my phone suddenly being terrible? Not speed-wise, but in terms of actually establishing a connection to my home Wifi.

is the wifi provided by o2/three? If not then its coincidence.

is the wifi provided by o2/three? If not then its coincidence.

Nah, regular UPC wifi. Couldn't think of any reason why they'd be related, just throwing it out there in case anyone knew of a setting I could have changed or a fix that I could have done! :o

• Advertisement

Nah, regular UPC wifi. Couldn't think of any reason why they'd be related, just throwing it out there in case anyone knew of a setting I could have changed or a fix that I could have done! :o

entirely coincidental then i would imagine. Though my own UPC broadband has been up and down lately. I have to restart the router nearly every day where as before i could leave it alone for weeks.

Advertisement