Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three/O2 Merge

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

entirely coincidental then i would imagine. Though my own UPC broadband has been up and down lately. I have to restart the router nearly every day where as before i could leave it alone for weeks.

Funny you should say that because that's exactly what I have to do. Resetting the router when I come in from work every evening! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Can't get a 3G signal at all now. Between the middle of Dunshaughlin and in Ratoath. My contract doesn't expire until September or thereabouts.

Since they appear to be shutting down masts my question is, are old O2 and old 3 customers all using the same masts or can I go in to a 3 shop and ask them to replace my SIM so that I get better coverage?

In any event I will be moving provider at the end of my contract (been with O2 for 15 years).

hey, im in the same area. Got a free month off them as no signal ( €40), they said the problem will be fixes the following week. 6 weeks later and I got a mail yesterday....same as you my contract is over in Sept but they are willing to writeoff the balance c.€300 so I can move....!! so they aint fixing the problem and now ive to go to Voda or Metor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Can't get a 3G signal at all now. Between the middle of Dunshaughlin and in Ratoath. My contract doesn't expire until September or thereabouts.

Since they appear to be shutting down masts my question is, are old O2 and old 3 customers all using the same masts or can I go in to a 3 shop and ask them to replace my SIM so that I get better coverage?

In any event I will be moving provider at the end of my contract (been with O2 for 15 years).

You would need to get them to unlock your phone first. Try the Talk to Three forum as suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Nah, regular UPC wifi. Couldn't think of any reason why they'd be related, just throwing it out there in case anyone knew of a setting I could have changed or a fix that I could have done! :o

If it's an iPhone it's quite a common problem and is the wifi ic reaching burnout point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

If it's an iPhone it's quite a common problem and is the wifi ic reaching burnout point.

First I've heard of this issue? Could you provide any links so I can read up on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Try switching your router to a different wifi channel the most likely problem is noise (interference) or congestion. We'd loss of wifi issues because a neighbour was using a TV digisender to link a set top box to their bedroom TV. It uses the same frequencies as Wifi but it's not WiFi so it's just see as interference not another network.

You'd be better to post this wifi question in the networking forum of the talk to upc forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Gileadi wrote: »
    First I've heard of this issue? Could you provide any links so I can read up on it?

Google 'Iphone Wifi Greyed Out'. It's most common in older models like the 4S but I've seen it with iPhone 5 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Try switching your router to a different wifi channel the most likely problem is noise (interference) or congestion. We'd loss of wifi issues because a neighbour was using a TV digisender to link a set top box to their bedroom TV. It uses the same frequencies as Wifi but it's not WiFi so it's just see as interference not another network.

I think this was actually the problem. It was on Auto select, and usually selected Channel 6. I changed it to 1 last night and it worked straight away! :)

The only problem on is 3G. I can browse no problem, but anything that involves uploading (sending emails, uploading to imgur etc.) or downloading (Play Store, email attachments, any downloads) just wont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think this was actually the problem. It was on Auto select, and usually selected Channel 6. I changed it to 1 last night and it worked straight away! :)

It's common enough that those auto settings don't seem to avoid noisy channels. They can't see things like digi senders and baby monitors because they're just using the same frequencies and not the wifi protocol. It's the huge drawback of unlicensed spectrum- any consumer device can use it with any protocol. It's a bit of a free for all.

Advertisement