Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rickshaws around Stephen's Green at night

Options
  • 06-04-2015 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Don't want to sound like a killjoy here but does anyone else have an issue with these rickshaw drivers on Stephen's Green? Is it legal for them to cycle on pedestrian footpaths and streets?

I have nothing against them on the road or the concept thereof, but just as with cyclists I don't enjoy nearly being bashed by one taking a sharp corner at high speed on the footpath of Stephen's Green. The footpath is called a footpath for a reason and these guys are always driving on them at high speed, curving around pedestrians without a thought to the discomfort this causes, I'm sure even more so in people with walking sticks / frames / crutches who can't dive out of the way and have to rely on the dubious turning skills of the aforementioned drivers.

Is it legal for them to be on the footpath, and would anyone else agree that they shouldn't be allowed to do this? Or am I simply being a dry sh!te bollocks about it?

Im genuinely considering writing to the council or the Gardai after last night. Fella missed me by centimetres and could easily have landeded me in hospital had he hit me at the speed he was barrelling along at. 'twas the corner which faces Grafton Street, I was coming from Baggot Street and him from the Harcourt Street direction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Yeah, I despise them on the footpaths (as with any cyclist) too. It's an unnecessary danger to create and they should be forced to follow the traffic around the Green. They should be banned from Grafton St itself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yeah, I despise them on the footpaths (as with any cyclist) too. It's an unnecessary danger to create and they should be forced to follow the traffic around the Green. They should be banned from Grafton St itself too.

But are they already banned in these areas and simply operating outside the law? I can't imagine that if it's illegal for cyclists to be on the footpath that it wouldn't cover these yokes as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

But are they already banned in these areas and simply operating outside the law? I can't imagine that if it's illegal for cyclists to be on the footpath that it wouldn't cover these yokes as well?

It probably is, but when have you seen a cyclist get stopped for cycling on a path?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Lux23 wrote: »
    It probably is, but when have you seen a cyclist get stopped for cycling on a path?

Yeah. The Garda love to stand on Grafton telling cyclist to only walk down Grafton with their Bike and not cycle. The Gardai are always around Dublin 2 handing out fines to cyclist for breaking lights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Had an incident with one of these rickshaws a couple of months ago. Three of us were walking down Dame Street outside of Central Bank, this rickshaw guy comes up behind me, excuses himself while pushing through, in the corner of my eye all I see is the front of a bicycle so I squeeze in to my friend to make room for him to pass, but no, it's a flipping rickshaw with a passenger on board :mad: The body of it wallops me in the arm while the wheel runs over my ankle and on to my foot. The only reason I didn't fall over was because my foot was so pinned by the wheel. Had a mighty bruise on my arm and my foot swelled up overnight and was tender for a couple of weeks. How he thought he had the space to get through I'll never know, the idiot.

I bollocked him out of it, needless to say, in fairness he took the bollocking and apologised. But still, there should be some sort of regulation in place for them, very difficult to monitor though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They were banned from pedestrianised streets in Galway 2 years ago: http://www.thejournal.ie/rickshaws-galway-city-promocabs-cork-galway-ban-830955-Mar2013/

Some of the drivers absolutely do need to cop on, have seen some serious disregard for the safety of pedestrians and other road users from them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Unregulated,uninsured and unlicensed, massive accident waiting to happen

I was nearly mown down by one on Grafton St last Thursday night
    It happened right in front of 2 Guards
    One of them gave him a bolloking and I asked him did he request to see his insurance cert or his PSV license?
    Guard looked at me like I had 10 heads

It's gonna take a massive accident before something gets done about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Funnily enough Thursday night on Grafton St. was the first time I have ever seen Gardai stopping the eejits driving rickshaws on the pedestrian street. They weren't arresting anyone or doing any paperwork, but they seemed to be having words and getting the drivers to dismount and wheel their rickshaws off the street which I suppose is better than nothing! They also told some other numpties who were cycling down the street to dismount - only the second time I have ever seen Gardai stop a cyclist who was clearly breaking the law. Again, unfortunately the Gardai weren't imposing any real sanctions on the cyclists (I'd love to see mandatory and hefty fines for anyone cycling on a footpath or pedestrian street), but nice to see them not turning a total blind eye to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Nearly got smashed by one of the dicks racing down Grafton Street last night. He had 2 fat young ones in the back and if he had to stop suddenly, he hadn't a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The problem for Gardai and DCC is that these yokes are not covered by existing Roads & Traffic legislation and changing this is not exactly top of the Dail's priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ollaetta wrote: »
    The problem for Gardai and DCC is that these yokes are not covered by existing Roads & Traffic legislation and changing this is not exactly top of the Dail's priorities.

I'm sorry but that's rubbish; the law specifies that "driving" and "driver" are to include the operation of a bicycle or tricycle which would include the rickshaws which have three wheels. It is unlwaful for someone to drive across a footway (the legislative name for a footpath) other than to obtain access to a property.

There is an absence of enforcement, not an absence of a statutory prohibition.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's rubbish; the law specifies that "driving" and "driver" are to include the operation of a bicycle or tricycle which would include the rickshaws which have three wheels. It is unlwaful for someone to drive across a footway (the legislative name for a footpath) other than to obtain access to a property.

There is an absence of enforcement, not an absence of a statutory prohibition.

My understanding is that currently it is a big pain in the ass for the Gardaí to enforce road traffic laws where cyclists are involved because each case has to be brought to court. Imagine having to bring everyone who broke a red light, cycled on a footpath or cycled the wrong way on a street in Dublin to court?! As far as I know there has been talk for quite some time now about introducing fixed penalties to fine these offenders without the need for a court appearance, but I have no idea when these fines are due to be introduced. The sooner the better in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Regarding cyclists, etc, I guessing that the problem is that the Gardai can't ID them if they don't have ID? With a car, there's a reg plate, but with a bike or rickshaw, there's probably too much paperwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The Master wrote: »
    Unregulated,uninsured and unlicensed, massive accident waiting to happen

really? they've been about for at least 10 years - what sort of massive accident are you predicting and how long should we wait. (I'm not excusing them or any other cyclist acting recklessly, but the hyperbole is unnecessary).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Yes they've been around for about 10 years but not in these huge numbers and as you can read above they've never been acting as dangerously before

The Master wrote: »
    Yes they've been around for about 10 years but not in these huge numbers and as you can read above they've never been acting as dangerously before

Yep, some of the stuff I have seen those guys do (cycling too fast, weaving around people and generally swerving all over the place) on the pedestrian part of Grafton St, and on the footpath around the outside of St. Stephen's Green is absolute madness and really is an accident waiting to happen.

The sooner Dublin City Council or the Government bring in Fixed Penalty Charges for bikes the better. As someone mentioned above, cyclists can currently only be summonsed to court for offences someone in a car would be fined for. In relation to names or id's, there is a power to seize the bike where there is a doubt to id. The rickshaws don't need a PSV licence as they are not a hire service, you are not obliged to pay, but you give them a tip. No insurance as it's a bike not an MPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

foreign wrote: »
    No insurance as it's a bike not an MPV.

Wait until someone tries to claim against one of these guys after a bang. With no insurance (and let's be honest, these guys probably aren't exactly minted so what would you get out of sueing them), the liability will end up falling on the council who will start bringing in insurance requirements fairly sharpish. Really surprised it hasn't actually happened already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

It seems the council are looking into this issue. http://www.thejournal.ie/rickshaws-dublin-2058647-Apr2015/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd be concerned as much for people inside them as outside them...

I saw once a rickshaw thing turn sharply left onto Camden St and out spilled a young lady from the seat into the middle of the road, lucky traffic was moving slowly so that she could pick herself up.

And people hanging off the side of them or following them/talking to their occupants and not looking where they are going...

• Advertisement
Advertisement