Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race Etiquette

• 06-04-2015 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Pet Hate at moment. Riders who snot and spit without any regard for the riders behind.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Or whipping out their lad and taking a slash and the wind sending it into your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Or the 10 or so lads who whipped there lad out for a pee on a footpath in full few of cars going by at the Ras Connemara. Bad considering there was a country lane just a few yards away. Racing is getting such a rough time at the moment with races being canceled. This can't help, can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

tossing gel wrappers. Comes in 3rd behind nebulised pee and airborne snot bombs.

Regarding the gels, can someone explain to me why you need them in a 100k 3rd cat race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

not sane wrote: »
    Regarding the gels, can someone explain to me why you need them in a 100k 3rd cat race?

Well 100km will take about 2.5 hours of medium to high effort, it not unrealistic to assume you need to take some "food" on board. I could certainly bonk or get close to it even with a good breakfast with a warmup and then the race without a bar, gel, banana or whatever. That said I have done 6 x 85km races without any gels etc this year, but I can see why people with a different metabolism would need them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Wrappers are my pet hate @ the mo.
    Not a snitch or loudmouth type who gives out in the pack but fuk sake lads!

And who the F@@K is "UP UP", He's always up the road but never wins a race?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

not sane wrote: »

Why they need them doing the ring of Kerry charity cycle is more mind baffling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Never mind the ROK - there are gel wrappers tossed around the floor of Drury St bike park. Commuter racing taken to a new level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Ah a lot of sportive riders are new cyclists/inexperienced riders and take their lead from older more "wiser" heads. If they are told make sure you have gels and always take one at the foot of a large climb they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

They can take them if they want, even for breakfast, just don't throw the damn things on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

When did Gels up the leg of the shorts become a thing btw ? Are people that bad at bike handling they can't reach their back pockets ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

my pet hate when racing is that no one waits for me. They all feic off up the road. Grrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Junior wrote: »
    When did Gels up the leg of the shorts become a thing btw ? Are people that bad at bike handling they can't reach their back pockets ?

Triathlon thing. Arm behind the back is not aero ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

I need gels (or some kind of food) above 50k! If you're naturally skinny like me (at least I was until I hit 40 :)) I can't do without food for very long. The ROK would have me loaded up like a hamster :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Deagol wrote: »
    .. If you're naturally skinny like me (at least I was until I hit 40 :)) I can't do without food for very long....
    ....and there was me thinking all along that it was the fat people who couldn't do without food for very long! :confused:

....and there was me thinking all along that it was the fat people who couldn't do without food for very long! :confused:

Fast metabolism=no reserves perhaps?! I don't know the reason, I'm speculating I guess, but I do need to eat a lot when cycling. How anyone could do a ROK length cycle without eating is beyond me.

Anyway, to go back on topic, I definitely never throw the wrappers on the ground. I have three pockets, one is the dustbin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

When did Gels up the leg of the shorts become a thing btw ??

When guys started racing in skinsuits with no pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Deagol wrote: »
    I need gels (or some kind of food) above 50k! If you're naturally skinny like me (at least I was until I hit 40 :)) I can't do without food for very long. The ROK would have me loaded up like a hamster :)

You don't need gels for the ROK...the food stops are well stocked with Home made Sandwiches, Cake, Biscuits, mars bars, Tea, Coffee ...why would you want Gels when you can have real food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I presume you're all taking the piss with respect to people pissing off the sides of their bikes? Excuse the pun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

At the foot of a climb? Sure you'd be at the top before it sinks in no? I take supplements as my diet can and job hours can be very erratic, so it's more for balancing rather than topping up my energy, had my first snot bomb on Sunday, scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You don't need gels for the ROK...the food stops are well stocked with Home made Sandwiches, Cake, Biscuits, mars bars, Tea, Coffee ...why would you want Gels when you can have real food?

My husband sometimes resorts to gels on sportives as he is allergic to gluten. Brings his own food, with gels as a backup.

Don't see why people have such a problem with what other people eat on the bike. If they want to have gels leave them to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

nak wrote: »
    My husband sometimes resorts to gels on sportives as he is allergic to gluten. Brings his own food, with gels as a backup.

Don't see why people have such a problem with what other people eat on the bike. If they want to have gels leave them to it.
    I blame the paelonazis. They won't be happy until we're all cycling around at 25kph eating seeds and taking bites out of passing cows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have my glucometer there so I can test my blood sugars on the bike, I do want to get a garmin style mount for it though as would look smarter. It's when you pull an insulin pen out of your pocket on a climb that you really get the dirty looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have my glucometer there so I can test my blood sugars on the bike, I do want to get a garmin style mount for it though as would look smarter. It's when you pull an insulin pen out of your pocket on a climb that you really get the dirty looks.

You should start singing the EPO song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaZLlrwvzPQ

07Lapierre wrote: »

Ah, of course if there's real food available I'd have that over the gels anytime! A lot of the sportives I do only have bananas at the stops and I hate bananas :)

My only issue with gels is when you take one and put the wrapper in your back pocket. You didn't quite empty it cleanly and about an hour later put your hand back in and it comes out with carb gel all over your fingers. The stickiness is a pain in the...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

My only issue with gels is when you take one and put the wrapper in your back pocket. You didn't quite empty it cleanly and about an hour later put your hand back in and it comes out with carb gel all over your fingers. The stickiness is a pain in the...

Worse when it sticks the shorts to your hairy arse, and when you rip them off after a long cycle, and give yourself a painful reverse Brazilian.

Yeah, try get that image out of yizzer heads for the rest of the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

buffalo wrote: »
    Worse when it sticks the shorts to your hairy arse, and when you rip them off after a long cycle, and give yourself a painful reverse Brazilian.

Ha ha ha :-) classic :-)

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »

Could be worse. Could be ripping your shorts off after an Eddy Planckaert situation :)

Advertisement