Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stainless steel gardening tools

• 06-04-2015 7:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭

are stainless steel forks and spades a bit more brittle than other forms of steel?
    i managed to snap our fork today - was doing some reasonably heavy work with it digging up some plants, but it snapped under a load i would not have thought was enough to cause it to fail.
    it had replaced another stainless fork where i snapped a tine, and i once broke a stainless spade, albeit digging in heavy clay soil.

am i just expecting too much from the tools?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

are stainless steel forks and spades a bit more brittle than other forms of steel?
    i managed to snap our fork today - was doing some reasonably heavy work with it digging up some plants, but it snapped under a load i would not have thought was enough to cause it to fail.
    it had replaced another stainless fork where i snapped a tine, and i once broke a stainless spade, albeit digging in heavy clay soil.

am i just expecting too much from the tools?

There are a lot of cheap stainless steel tools on the market at the moment and I'm pretty sure there's a zillion grades in quality or composition. This could be the issue.

It could also be the amount of stress you are putting the tools under. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the one today was a true temper one - i was surprised to see the join was not completely solid:

344256.jpg

Is that a weld? That's the problem with a lot of spades and forks now, the are welded at what will be weakest point!

I think from memory that TTs Darby range are one piece so might be better for you. Not stainless steel but they are long handled, which I find easier to use. The handle will snap before the join will I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

It's just cheap quality tools even a good brand named tool is mass produced now... I've had good few odd bits that have broken easily enough even under normal working conditions... in my opinion the quality ain't there...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lk67 wrote: »
    Is that a weld? That's the problem with a lot of spades and forks now, the are welded at what will be weakest point!
    yep, in the centre (the slightly rusty section) there was no join; just welded around the edge.
    would be interesting to find out who distributes them in ireland.

• Advertisement

yep, in the centre (the slightly rusty section) there was no join; just welded around the edge.
    would be interesting to find out who distributes them in ireland.

True Temper are now owned by Ames an American company I think, but I think they have a distribution centre around Cork.

Have a Google!

already been on to them - they responded quickly and have asked to see it.

lk67 wrote: »
    I think from memory that TTs Darby range are one piece so might be better for you. Not stainless steel but they are long handled, which I find easier to use. The handle will snap before the join will I'd say!
    well, i can certainly recommend true temper based on after sales service - i've just had a courier at the door with a replacement fork - a darby; and they unexpectedly threw in a decent pair of gardening gloves, a darby trowel, hand fork, and a decent pair of secateurs.

Advertisement