Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower/water pump pressure

Options
  • 06-04-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, having a problem with water pump which is located in the hot press, can anyone recommend somebody to take a look at it , many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Could be due to low boiler pressure, if so top up your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

I am fitting a pump in a hotpress on Wednesday in charlesland if you like I will have a look at your pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What's the problem? not working or working intermittently?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dv8

Thanks for replies, its not working at all, tried topping up system also , have a guy to look at it this evening, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Your shower pressure and central heating system will have nothing to do with each other with regards supply. You might find the gauss on the pump connections are clogged and just needs cleaning. Either that or the pump has burned out.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

astrofluff wrote: »
    Your shower pressure and central heating system will have nothing to do with each other with regards supply. You might find the gauss on the pump connections are clogged and just needs cleaning. Either that or the pump has burned out.

I am not a plumber but just going from experience, when i topped up the system, pump started to work again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

markest wrote: »
    I am not a plumber but just going from experience, when i topped up the system, pump started to work again.

Coincidence. As above they are seperate systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dv8

Hi There, still having trouble with this, anybody know of someone who can take a look/fix the problem. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

I recently replaced the waterpump in my own house as the original one was leaking. It was also only ever supposed to be used for a shower but the "builders" hooked it up to the whole system.

Replaced it with one of these

Its relatively straight forward but dont make the mistake of having the rads on prior to replacing it as the tank will be full of hot water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

What is the noise level like on that new pump?

Plastic impellors? Seems very cheap for a pump to manage the whole house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Still noisy but not nearly as bad as original one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

dv8 wrote: »
    Hi There, still having trouble with this, anybody know of someone who can take a look/fix the problem. Thanks in advance

If it's the stuart turner pump there's an excellent website going through the likely causes http://www.plumbteamltd.co.uk/stuart.html

We had a problem with the one in the apartment (Charlesland). It was completely dead.

The PCB board was blown, the cause of the PCB board going was a power surge, in itself caused by a power cut. A replacement PCB board fixed it. The new PCB board design has surge protection.

The other likely problem with these pumps is a blown capacitor. In this case the pump makes a humming sound but will not pump any water. The capacitor is the white tube attached to the PCB board.

There are threads on boards about these pumps as well. Here is one
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59692116 but there was another one with more information

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭PreparationH

If the pump doesn't turn on, it could be one of two things:
    PCB board completely fecked
    Bearings or impeller in the pump gone.

If it's an intermittent issue it's most likely the PCB board that needs to be replaced, they cost about 45 pounds sterling and 30-50 for the fitting which takes 10 minutes (you can do this yourself, full instructions are included) .

If the pump is broken there's a place in north county Dublin that sell them (can't for the life of me remember their name), but a 1 year guarantee recon pump will set you back @ 250 Euro. (You can tell if a pump is gone by placing the sharp end of a screwdriver against the bearing housing on a pump and put your ear to the other end. If you hear grinding, its a bearing or grit in the impeller).

I'm not a plumber, I just know all of this as I've just stopped a rip-off merchant in Louth from trying to charge my GF an extortionate amount of money to replace a pump that wasn't broken. The douche wouldn't even break down the quote to labour and parts when questioned. Keep your wits about you when dealing with these guys. There are good ones out there, but there are also asshats too.

Advertisement