Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nils Frahm - NCH - 17.06.2015

Options
  • 06-04-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Just noticed this over the weekend, I cannot wait for this gig!

Room: Main Auditorium
    Price: €27
    10% discount for Friends of the National Concert Hall

Berlin based composer and pianist Nils Frahm’s heart lies in improvisation, in the magic of a moment where, inspired by the space and the audience, his fingers can create new compositions loosely based around his familiar melodies. Frahm is recognised for his unconventional approach to an age-old instrument – with surprise moments in the new album such as the sound of him banging a toilet brush on the piano strings to create a dub-sounding track. After his first solo piano works Wintermusik and The Bells, Frahm released

Felt to much critical acclaim in 2011 and his most recent album Spaces. Frahm has flourished from his Tschaikowski-schooled beginnings to embracing the minimalist tradition of classical greats (Steve Reich, Philip Glass), the boundless stagecraft of jazz legends (Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk), and electronic-minded admirers such as Thom Yorke and Four Tet. 2014 saw him sell-out venues such as The Barbican in London and the Sydney Opera House, confirming the arrival of a major composer and pianist.

Frahm creates something mesmerizing” The Observer

Presented by the National Concert Hall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Yell0 Man

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Lovely....just got tickets. There doesnt seem to be many left. Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I saw him at Forbidden Fruit festival recently. I was really looking forward to the gig, but there was too much bass bleeding through from another nearby tent at the festival that you really couldn't hear him at all. A very frustrating gig. You could see he was frustrated by the set up too, so much so I think he changed his set a bit on the day, leaving out many of his quieter tunes.I said at the time that I would love to see him in a proper venue in Dublin. Needless to say, ticket for NCH bought now! No better venue for this type of gig :)

I was at that ff,it wasn't ideal. I was also at the gig in Croatia posted above and while it was a lovely setting it didn't fill up till after Nils since he was first on the bill. The NCH should be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I don't usually go for this type of gig I thought I'd expand my music tastes, also I watched Blade Runner at the weekend and got that hypnotic vibe of a couple Nils tunes . I've never been to the NCH before also that was another good excuse!

Regarding seats, there was very few left last night so I went for seats in the single row balcony at the side of the stage. These are either brilliant seats or awful I can't really tell! Anyone here know the venue good enough to fill me in?

• Advertisement

lc180 wrote: »
    I don't usually go for this type of gig I thought I'd expand my music tastes, also I watched Blade Runner at the weekend and got that hypnotic vibe of a couple Nils tunes . I've never been to the NCH before also that was another good excuse!

Regarding seats, there was very few left last night so I went for seats in the single row balcony at the side of the stage. These are either brilliant seats or awful I can't really tell! Anyone here know the venue good enough to fill me in?

You will be closer to the act, and get a decent side view. The seats themselves are not angled so you will be facing the opposite wall, so you need to turn yoursel a bit to look at the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

NCH is a fantastic venue..

Seats are very comfortable and the sound quality is brilliant, and the building itself is grand in the old sense of the word.

Enjoy the concert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

The sweat coming off him in torrents at FF was unreal. The guy set out to perform to his fullest, noise pollution be damned!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I saw him perform in City Hall in Belfast before Christmas and it was probably the best thing I saw last year. He must have played for close to an hour and a half which is some going when you consider it's just him on stage. The music was absolutely mesmerising but he's also a very charismatic live performer. He'll be perfectly suited to the NCH. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alecanashag

If anybody is looking for tickets for Nils I have three that I'm selling! They're balcony seats too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I have a few spare tickets too, can no longer make it. Great seats in the Stalls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Nils Frahm will be on stage at 8:30pm sharp tomorrow!!!

I wonder how long his set will be tonight-maybe 1.5 hours or is that too optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adraigh

Have 2 fabulous tickets to tonight's concert in the NCH

Decent tickets, willing to haggle! Pm if interested!

Can meet you in lobby beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

thunderdog wrote: »
    I wonder how long his set will be tonight-maybe 1.5 hours or is that too optimistic?
    Going by setlist.fm, he plays about 6 songs, including an 18min one and a few other long ones

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Going by setlist.fm, he plays about 6 songs, including an 18min one and a few other long ones

Was told by NCH that he's playing for 90 mins, no interval. He played for a similar length in Belfast last year so sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GAVINBEALE

hey, interested in the tickets if theyre still available

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Well that was pretty amazing.

Brilliant as usual

I really enjoyed the gig. After Forbidden Fruit a few years ago, where you could really only hear the loud bits of his songs (due to bleeding from other tents) it was great to have him playing in the perfect setting of the NCH, where you could hear all the intricacies of his playing. Good crowd interaction too, which I was pleasantly surprised by-I was expecting a full set with little to no talking. Incredibly musical his playing, and the build up in his tunes are incredible.

My only gripe, and it was nothing to do with Nils Frahm himself, was the lights (house lights Im guessing). At the start,whoever was doing the house lights, was trying in vain to get them somewhat in time with Nils playing e.g. a flash on a bass/drum beat, but they didn't get the hang of it and it was quite distracting with it being constantly delayed after the beat. They kept trying this throughout the 2nd and 3rd song, and then gave up, just fading in out/flashing at random.

It would really add even more depth to his show if he had lights that were in sync with his own playing. It wouldn't even have to be a fancy set up, just 4 or 5 lights. I might suggest it to him ;)

Great to see that it looked like a sell out gig-I didn't think he was that popular (think the NCH holds approx 12 or 1300)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 hbo10

Anyone got the setlist?

Advertisement