Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading PICO PC Connectivity

Options
  • 06-04-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I got two of these little VIA PICO PC with embedded XP on them that were inside machines from work. They are working fine and have 1GB ram and X86 1ghz proc (might be multi-core).

I am familiar enough with standard ATX PC's but i have never had one of these before. Since they are such low power i want to set them up and leave them running 24/7 for remote login to my own pc/HTPC server etc.

Biggest problem with them is that they have limited connectivity options and no USB connections. From looking at VIA's site they seem to have daughter boards that expand connection options but i am not sure what can work or even where it connects. Main thing i need are extra USB ports.

I have attached 2 photos of the available connections/headers on the boards. Can i ask you to have a look and advise on what i can get?, and where i connect these things to?.

I assume the big black 30pin connector on the side is used?

Thanks a lot!

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

pico2.jpg seems to show

1 x PATA connector to connect IDE drive or CD
    2 x SATA connectors for SATA HDDs or CD
    1 x Floppy connector

A better pic of the items to the left of the battery in pico1.jpg might help identify what is there.

Try to get a pic focused on the writing around those two items.

Also try to locate some identifying number or similar on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

Thanks John,

Here is a higher quality pic. I notice just to the right of the battery in the new pic is a "JUSB2" text written onto the board. This would suggest there is the ability to add a usb port.

It looks like you might have two USB headers there side-by-side with two more headers up the side of the battery .... one for a COM port?

You might be able to get a better idea having the board in hand. Pics are never great for reading this stuff .... shadows and shines which can be eliminated by varying the angle of the board in hand.

Any luck finding a board identification number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are those not USB ports on the bottom left? Appears to be USB headers underneath the battery though no ground.

It would be old and slow with a very old VIA cpu, something like a 30 euro Raspberry Pi 2 would offer far more connectivity and performance - 4 native USB ports for example.

Are those not USB ports on the bottom left? Appears to be USB headers underneath the battery though no ground.

Seems more likely to be Eth ports .... 2 x RTL8101L chips just behind them.

It would be old and slow with a very old VIA cpu, something like a 30 euro Raspberry Pi 2 would offer far more connectivity and performance - 4 native USB ports for example.

Yeah ... but where is the fun in that? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement