Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed accounts.

Options
  • 06-04-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

I regularly see posts and under the persons name it says Closed Account. Will these people have been banned or left by choice?

I saw it mentioned before about people leaving but setting up under a new username? Can you do that with the same email address or would you need to use a new one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

If you get banned, it doesn't say closed account, it says banned

And yes you need a different email address of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Mod: moved this to Help Desk. Seems like a better fit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I regularly see posts and under the persons name it says Closed Account. Will these people have been banned or left by choice?

I saw it mentioned before about people leaving but setting up under a new username? Can you do that with the same email address or would you need to use a new one?
    If you get banned from a forum, then you are banned from the forum. You cannot circumvent that ban by simply closing your account and opening a new one. That's not permitted, and usually results in a complete ban from the entire www.boards.ie site.

If you voluntarily close your account, and then change your mind and open up a new one, this IS permitted, but every new account you create is a new cookie on your machine, and doing this again and again may draw unwanted or unnecessary attention to you because it's highly irregular behaviour.

The words "Closed Account" under a user's name means they have voluntarily closed their accounts by clicking the necessary steps in their User CP. The word "Banned" under a user's name means they have been forcibly banned from the entire site, and that person is not permitted to skip along and create a new account just because they want to. For most of the time, these new accounts are just banned as well, and the user is asked nicely to just go away. Sometimes, a banned user can state their case in the Prison forum, and if certain conditions are met and agreed to, that person is allowed back on the site again.

Hope this helps.

-Shield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement