Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Contact and holiday leave

• 06-04-2015 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I was thinking about what would happen if aliens arrived in orbit and made their presence known. Specifically around what would happen in regards to work and entitlements around leave. My opinion is that since it's such a big event, you get the day off. You wouldn't even need to send in an email, it'd be understood most people would want to stay at home watching the 24 hour news coverage of the story. Actually I hope some fast food joints would be open, I don't have much stuff in for cooking.

Would you go to work or stay home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'd put down the bong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I reckon keep larder full of nachos and that in preparation for just that day. Unfair of fast food workers having to go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Birneybau wrote: »
    I reckon keep larder full of nachos and that in preparation for just that day. Unfair of fast food workers having to go in.

Good point. I always have an emergency stash of a toilet roll and a bottle of whiskey, I'll add to it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They can sort that out themselves, I assume? I have to go to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

If we just ignore them, they'll go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Id put on a chicken

efb wrote: »
    I'd put down the bong

Actually I think a smoke would definitely be called for. I'd probably watch the BBC live coverage, Sky would be making a balls of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Id put on a chicken

Like, as a hat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Store guns, ammo, food, water.

Wait for it to start playing out Independence Day style.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Finally a thread that combines stoner alien speculation with discussion of employee responsibility!

Put on the coffee boys! It's gonna be a long night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So... you have your first bank holiday off, and not content enough to wait for the next one, you instead start planning an alien invasion for the next holiday?

That is some strong stuff that you're smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

If it was women from Venus, I'd take the day off but if it was men from Mars, I'd probably go in to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm make sure to go to work. Fecking aliens would be only coming here looking to take our jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It'd be like when Moaty was on the loose a few years back. People would be doing ****all work anyways but you'd still have to be in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

c_man wrote: »
    Hey guys, I was thinking about what would happen if aliens arrived in orbit and made their presence known. Specifically around what would happen in regards to work and entitlements around leave. My opinion is that since it's such a big event, you get the day off. You wouldn't even need to send in an email, it'd be understood most people would want to stay at home watching the 24 hour news coverage of the story. Actually I hope some fast food joints would be open, I don't have much stuff in for cooking.

Id go to work. But it'd just be like 9/11, nobody would really be working, just gathered around tvs watching the news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Id go to work. But it'd just be like 9/11, nobody would really be working, just gathered around tvs watching the news

Apart from the NYFD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

bb1234567 wrote: »

Watching Tv's!? *scoffs*

What's this? 2001!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

c_man wrote: »

We come In Peace...

Would you go out n about? Would you join the crowds & Welcome them? What music would you suggest would kill them off op?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Was any of this arranged?

Who told them they could visit on a weekday/schoolnight?

You need to get on to the mothership...'there's fcuking rules down here boy..'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I'd go to the nearest tall building and hold up a sign asking them to bring back Elvis or Opal fruits.

the_syco wrote: »
    So... you have your first bank holiday off, and not content enough to wait for the next one, you instead start planning an alien invasion for the next holiday?

You have to admit, it's a possibility for the morning coming that we may be faced with. Better to have this as a reference rather than start a thread then, I imagine AH will be clogged with threads on the matter. I hope the mods have a plan in place to deal with the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I'm make sure to go to work. Fecking aliens would be only coming here looking to take our jobs.

And our women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The only reason they'd allow themselves to be seen is if they were planning an invasion,otherwise they'd do it covertly.
    Probably not worth while going to work.

Advertisement