Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe Interrailing August

Options
  • 02-04-2015 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, I wanted to go inter railing this summer but after asking my friends, nobody I know is going. I just wanted to get people's opinions and experiences on traveling alone. Is it worth it or should you go as part of a group? I'm kind of a shy guy at first so traveling alone is a little scary to me buy I need to get out of my comfort zone and gain new experiences. Any opinions would be grately appreciated, thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tonntaa

Hi Lanigan1991,

I can't say I've any experience in travelling alone, but I'm in the same boat as you! I was hoping to also go inter-railing this summer, when were you thinking of going? I would love someone to travel with, stranger or not, to take the fear out of it XD

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

So, having the month of August completely free I decided to plan this trip with 2 of my friends. Take a look at the route, if you have any tips, advice or suggestions let me know.

The plan goes as follows:
    1. Indiependence Music Festival in Mitchelstown Cork
    2 Fly From Dublin Airport a day after the festival (the 4th)I know we're gonna be in bits)
    Then Work my way through the following areas:
    • Prague
    • Bratislava
    • Budapest
    • Zagreb
    • Zadar
    • Split
    • Dubrovnik

Then Fly back home to London. Major thing I want to do on the trip is meet lots of people and I'm writing a book of cocktails and drinks (Not like a book more a personal journal)Also hope to see a lot of sights during the term get up to a bit of messing and divilment. I'm leaving it as 24 days available to fit in everything.
    The map of the route is attached.

So again if any of you have tips or advice or even if you are likely to be in any of the points during August give us a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

If it's meeting people you want to do, then I highly recommend staying in small, high rated hostels and also stay in dorms. Most good places will arrange to get everyone together in the evening to play games, chat, drink etc. and it's impossible not to meet people. Out of your destinations I would highly recommend Bubble hostel in Budapest and Hostel One Home in Prague. I haven't been to the rest of your destinations but if you check on hostelworld.com and sort results by rating and read the reviews it will give you a good indication of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 adam104

Similar plan, also going to Indiependence, how ****ing mint is the lineup?
    But then I have college exam repeats so we're not heading off till the 22nd. Probably do a similar route to you. I've always wanted to go and I'm well excited

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kieraheff

Hi! I'm planning on heading interrailing in August this Summer, would love some travel buddies for along the way. Thinking of starting in Berlin and finishing up in Croatia :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lhen93

Kieraheff wrote: »
    Hi! I'm planning on heading interrailing in August this Summer, would love some travel buddies for along the way. Thinking of starting in Berlin and finishing up in Croatia :)

My intentions were to start in Berlin aswell and stay away for 3weeks but all my friends found something better to do this summer lol. Kind of still unsure whether to go on myself or not though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

Just do it is my advice, but forget about interrailing. That's rubbish, what you want to do is hitchhike I'm guessing your a young enough Irish lad. Then your sorted, you can go directly from home and hitchhike the ferrys too in fact. Just be a bit patient, maybe pack a sleeping bag too, compass and a kindle. Ive hitchhiked hundreds of rides through romania (transylvania is mind blowing, so beautiful), austria, hungary, ukraine, transnistria, moldova, poland, germany, turkey, georgia, bulgaria, bosnia, serbia, croatia, slovenia, czech republic, slovakia, em maybe more if I remember and currently in the US hitchhiking about (more difficult but doable). As you can see I focus on the cheap countries in europe (ryanair to hungary is like 50 euro), mainly because there super easy to thumb, camping out isnt an issue and the people are friendly. Generally in europe the poorer the country then the easier it is to get around quickly for free and hostels are cheap too if you want to meet some drinking buddies. A lot of hostels are just full of interrailing Brittish folk on ipads who generally bore me, try couchsurfing and attend couchsurfing events instead for showers. Its important to keep clean shaven and smell decent. Dont become one of those typical travellers like the auzzie guy with a guitar and dreadlocks talking about horoscopes. Your not travelling to brag about it or change the world, just do it to see places and step outside the comfort zone everyday and you will be fine, seriously. If you are low on funds then use workaway or help-x for some free board while travelling in exchange for the kind of works country irish lads can do without breaking a sweat.
    I have been travelling a lot for the last 3 years or so, became like completely broke in the US found a construction job in new orleans to make up some cash and im off again next month with my new hammock and lifesaver bottle to colombia. I dont regret any of my travels and I roll by myself. I have meet others on the road around petrol stations and such and maybe travelled with them a day or two. There exists fb groups to find hitchhiking partners too, you can find a girlfriend on the road too probably a lot easier then sitting at home since your constantly meeting strangers everyday.
    Check out hitchwiki and i have a wee blog too, which I dont update often enough but it should get more interesting once i figure out spanish and get to the amazon! Dop me a fb message through the blog if you want more info
    Hitchhiking Blog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

kieran--f wrote: »
    Just do it is my advice, but forget about interrailing. That's rubbish, what you want to do is hitchhike I'm guessing your a young enough Irish lad. Then your sorted, you can go directly from home and hitchhike the ferrys too in fact. Just be a bit patient, maybe pack a sleeping bag too, compass and a kindle. Ive hitchhiked hundreds of rides through romania (transylvania is mind blowing, so beautiful), austria, hungary, ukraine, transnistria, moldova, poland, germany, turkey, georgia, bulgaria, bosnia, serbia, croatia, slovenia, czech republic, slovakia, em maybe more if I remember and currently in the US hitchhiking about (more difficult but doable). As you can see I focus on the cheap countries in europe (ryanair to hungary is like 50 euro), mainly because there super easy to thumb, camping out isnt an issue and the people are friendly. Generally in europe the poorer the country then the easier it is to get around quickly for free and hostels are cheap too if you want to meet some drinking buddies. A lot of hostels are just full of interrailing Brittish folk on ipads who generally bore me, try couchsurfing and attend couchsurfing events instead for showers. Its important to keep clean shaven and smell decent. Dont become one of those typical travellers like the auzzie guy with a guitar and dreadlocks talking about horoscopes. Your not travelling to brag about it or change the world, just do it to see places and step outside the comfort zone everyday and you will be fine, seriously. If you are low on funds then use workaway or help-x for some free board while travelling in exchange for the kind of works country irish lads can do without breaking a sweat.
    I have been travelling a lot for the last 3 years or so, became like completely broke in the US found a construction job in new orleans to make up some cash and im off again next month with my new hammock and lifesaver bottle to colombia. I dont regret any of my travels and I roll by myself. I have meet others on the road around petrol stations and such and maybe travelled with them a day or two. There exists fb groups to find hitchhiking partners too, you can find a girlfriend on the road too probably a lot easier then sitting at home since your constantly meeting strangers everyday.
    Check out hitchwiki and i have a wee blog too, which I dont update often enough but it should get more interesting once i figure out spanish and get to the amazon! Dop me a fb message through the blog if you want more info
    Hitchhiking Blog

I literally envy your life mate, but would never have the balls to do it myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kieraheff

lhen93 wrote: »
    My intentions were to start in Berlin aswell and stay away for 3weeks but all my friends found something better to do this summer lol. Kind of still unsure whether to go on myself or not though:)

I've been looking around and think I'll get what I want covered in a short interrailing ticket; the 5 journeys in 10 days ticket. Starting in Milan with some friends but then they're off home then thinking on to Budapest, Kraków, Prague and finishing in Berlin for about a week around the 20th August! How're your plans coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coolstoryphil

Hi guys, I'm on the same boat as yous. I want to go interrailing in the last week of August (starting the 26th for 3 weeks) and since none of my friends are able to go, it's looking like a solo flight. Has anyone experience going interrailing this late (August-September)? My main concern is perhaps the lack of people to meet?

Anyway, my planned itinerary are:
    Fly out from Dublin to Berlin --> Prague --> Vienna --> Budapest --> Zagreb --> Ljubljana --> Bled --> Amsterdam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Hi guys, I'm on the same boat as yous. I want to go interrailing in the last week of August (starting the 26th for 3 weeks) and since none of my friends are able to go, it's looking like a solo flight. Has anyone experience going interrailing this late (August-September)? My main concern is perhaps the lack of people to meet?

Anyway, my planned itinerary are:
    Fly out from Dublin to Berlin --> Prague --> Vienna --> Budapest --> Zagreb --> Ljubljana --> Bled --> Amsterdam

I'm going myself next week for the first time anywhere on my own, on not far off the same the route as you mate and I've heard off friends who have done it that meeting people is no problem in hostels, Just go with it man what's the worst that can happen :D

Advertisement