Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App for storing pin nos passwords etc

Options
  • 06-04-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good and secure app where one could store things such as. Usernames and passwords for say utility bill cos, mobile phones etc or is it a totally mad thing to do......is there anywhere in cyberspace safe for such data?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Have a look at 1Password.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

jimgoose wrote: »
    Have a look at 1Password.

Can you tell me if this app stores data on the phone only or is it stored on a 'cloud server' also.............if sorted on a cloud server, is the data which may or may not be of use, relatively easily accessible to hackers etc...........I'm no expert on encryption etc but if something is encrypted is it still 'retrievable' by those that 'hack'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Can you tell me if this app stores data on the phone only or is it stored on a 'cloud server' also.............if sorted on a cloud server, is the data which may or may not be of use, relatively easily accessible to hackers etc...........I'm no expert on encryption etc but if something is encrypted is it still 'retrievable' by those that 'hack'

1Password uses AES-256 bit "Encrypt-then-MAC" authenticated encryption, decrypted data is always in-core and never written to mass-storage, so I'd say that's pretty tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

jimgoose wrote: »
    1Password uses AES-256 bit "Encrypt-then-MAC" authenticated encryption, decrypted data is always in-core and never written to mass-storage, so I'd say that's pretty tight.

Thanks for that.....how would you rate 'Safe note' if you have ever heard of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I find Lastpass to be the best. Its a good price and out if the ones I have tried (1password, passwordbox, roboform) it's by far the best.

The way I understand is that lastpass does not store your plaintext passwords in the cloud. It stores encrypted data that can only be unencrypted by your PC/phone/iPad etc after you log in. Also 2 factor login is more secure.
    Read here
    https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=1096

I would be lost without it now.

Here is a good review.
    http://www.asecurelife.com/dashlane-vs-lastpass-vs-1password-vs-roboform-vs-keepass/

I like Lastpass as its easy to use but is mega secure. Have a look here and read the comments to get a good idea.
    http://lifehacker.com/is-lastpass-secure-what-happens-if-it-gets-hacked-1555511389

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

I like Dashlane...it syncs passwords between my phone, tablet, desktop and laptop. All encrypted up the wazoo!

Advertisement