Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What monitor to get?

Options
  • 06-04-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, so over past 6 month's I've been weighting options some VR set or monitor.
    I decided to go with Monitor.
    Currently I have two monitors:

ViewSonic VA2248 - 1920x1080
    and some old BENQ monitor - 1366x768.

Some points:
    1) Budget is ~650 Euro.
    2) I do a lot of programming utilizing both screens.
    3) I sometimes lack space on my primary 1080 monitor and other monitor is being used.
    4) I do some 3D modelling form time to time.
    5) I love watching absolutely HD movies (Blu ray's on my 1080, I wish I could go bigger though for bigger immerssive effect kind of)
    6) I still must be able to handle games decently, so specs are:
    CPU: AMD FX-8350
    GPU: ASUS GTX 970.
    RAM: 8 GB.
    I think that's all that matters in relation to monitor.
    7) No need for stuff like in-build speakers etc..
    8) Preferably thin-ish bezel.

So, any suggestions?

P.S - Can I connect 3 monitors? I still have another DVI port on GPU free and some weird-ass port which looks like HDMI but doesn't fit in.
    I also love ultra clear images.

Also I know it's a lot to ask for such small budget but - Any chance to get good big monitor that is other than 60hz? (Not CRT)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I don't suppose the Korean IPS monitors are any good? Most are about €400 after taxes, 27" screens, 1440P. There's a thread here somewhere about them

The weird port you're describing is Display port I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I don't suppose the Korean IPS monitors are any good? Most are about €400 after taxes, 27" screens, 1440P. There's a thread here somewhere about them

The weird port you're describing is Display port I'd say

Well I prefer buying from Amazon, so whatever it sells.
    Been looking at ultrawide screens, can't decide though which ones are decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

if you can stretch a little on the budget rog asus https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-070-AS

I was looking myself recently, was especially keen on ultra wide but decided to just wait it out see where gsync prices go and how ultrawide takes off

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I bought this recently and its great, i also have one of those korean catleap 2560x1440 monitors and a dell U24 IPS but for me the LG is the better gaming screen and its well within your budget with plenty to spare.

But for that budget id also consider the acer predator 144hz screen or maybe the asus rog.

Dcully wrote: »
    I bought this recently and its great, i also have one of those korean catleap 2560x1440 monitors and a dell U24 IPS but for me the LG is the better gaming screen and its well within your budget with plenty to spare.

But for that budget id also consider the acer predator 144hz screen or maybe the asus rog.

Yeah I was considering that LG, however - I heard it's pixel density is a bit crap? Which makes it okay for games but for work it's bad? or is that false argument?
    Any other things you can say about it?

• Advertisement

Never heard the pixel density argument before,its 2560x1080.
    What makes it better for games to me is the superior contrast and brightness ratio aswell as much more vibrant colours not to mention response time is excellent and feels faster than the other two monitors i have not that either of the 3 i have are in anyway slow.

Dcully wrote: »
    Never heard the pixel density argument before,its 2560x1080.
    What makes it better for games to me is the superior contrast and brightness ratio aswell as much more vibrant colours not to mention response time is excellent and feels faster than the other two monitors i have not that either of the 3 i have are in anyway slow.

What about when working with documents? Is text sharp?

arleitiss wrote: »
    What about when working with documents? Is text sharp?

Yes very sharp, LG use some of the best IPS panels out there.

Well, I ended up with this:
    0CPfSRl.jpg

LG 34UM65, I absolutely love it.

Advertisement