Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build advice

Options
  • 06-04-2015 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am currently looking to build a new PC as I have started editing Go Pro videos and using Photoshop for photographs too and the current (old enough) PC is struggling.
    I guess I'm looking for something with good ram and a decent graphics card that makes it a bit more pleasant while working with the photos and videos - the thing I have now goes into fits and it's not worth upgrading at this stage.

I was just wondering if anybody has any recommendations. I'd need everything besides a monitor and windows and would be hoping to keep it under 500 quid!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What're the specs of the older PC? As much as you can provide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭batman_oh

What're the specs of the older PC? As much as you can provide

It's an 11 year old Dell Inspiron 5100 desktop. Basic in 2004, it's only good for looking at the Internet now.
    Haven't used it in a few months as I didn't take it when moving but pretty sure it's a pentium 4 with rubbish integrated everything.

Pulling a video editing PC on that budget is going to be a struggle, I'll try to throw up a build later.

You're looking at an i7
    Cheap mobo
    8gb ram
    €40 case (maybe less)
    Small PSU
    HDD if the one you have is Ide
    And a cheapish GPU if budget allows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Pulling a video editing PC on that budget is going to be a struggle, I'll try to throw up a build later.

You're looking at an i7
    Cheap mobo
    8gb ram
    €40 case (maybe less)
    Small PSU

It would be just so it can handle Adobe Premier Pro in a fashion that doesnt take hours and keep crashing :pac:
    Cheers

Item|Price
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 CL9 Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600|€€ 58
    MSI H81-P33 ATX LGA 1150|€€ 44
    Antec One, ATX, no power supply|€€ 45
    Thermaltake Hamburg 530W|€€ 48
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb / s|€€ 54
    Intel Core i3-4160 3.6 GHz LGA1150 3MB cache Boxed CPU|€€ 116
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€380

There's your parts, and a second hand Radeon R9 270X, R9 270 or Radeon HD 7950 or 7970 from adverts are around €150, bringing you in a little over €500.

The i3 has hyperthreading so it'll act like a quad core chip, giving you more power. Should definitely stand up to your old PC anyways :p

The motherboard only has two RAM slots, which is why I chose one stick of 8gb ram, if you need 16gb in future you can easily add another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Brianconway_

You're looking at an i7
    Cheap mobo
    8gb ram
    €40 case (maybe less)
    Small PSU

If the HDD in your old PC is any reasonable size at all, a IDE to sata adapter might be a good option at this budget. With the free money you could upgrade the CPU or maybe add a SSD to make up for the slower IDE drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Brianconway_

What do you think of this?
    About 100euro left for Graphics Card.
    FX 8350 supposed to be good for editing and rendering because of 8 Cores.
    If you had the money I'd add a decent CPU cooler as they create a lot of heat!

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£128.63 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£39.59 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.37 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 750GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£25.08 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Cooler Master K350 ATX Mid Tower Case (£21.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£33.59 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £293.84 = € 404 on 11/04/2015 @ 20:00
    PRICE'S CHANGE!!!!!!!
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-11 20:00 BST+0100

Advertisement