Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning up?

• 06-04-2015 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

The recent "Clean up Limerick " event was a worthwhile exercise but left me wondering, based on the seemingly massive volume of waste collected, are we still, perhaps, deserving recipients of that unwanted title, the "Filthy Irish".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Disgusting behaviour. Speaks volumes about a person's personality and ethics.
    I wonder is there any more simple test of a person's attitude to society than giving them a can of coke and a bag of crisps and waiting to see what they do with the rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

There needs to be better enforcement of the litter laws by the local authorities. The recruitment of extra Litter Wardens and increased use of warning signs at litter blackspot areas would help. It's like having police walking the beat. When there is a visible deterrent people are less likely to offend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Generalisation of a whole population or group of people can be considered racist, I've deleted posts, please don't make me issue cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I was astounded by the sheer volumes of rubbish collected in some areas but in many ways am not surprised, this is alot to do with the prices charged for rubbish collection, lack of public bins...and the removal of plastic bottle recycling locations.

I for one used to pick up 3 to 4 plastic bottles on my street every single day now I seldom bother as I get fed up being the only one willing to do so, I didn't mind when i could bring them to the bottle banks but now as it costs per lift I pick up only outside my own home.

Advertisement