Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 phase question

Options
  • 06-04-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have 415v 3 phase power in the shed. I am looking at a cnc machine which requires 380v 3 phase same 50hz frequency. Will it work with my supply or will it sizzle?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Should be ok, but check your documentation.

The ESB supply can vary from 360V to 440V.

See page 3

https://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/commercial-downloads/General-conditions-less-than-100kVA.pdf

I have seen some equipment that had tappings on a transformer for the control circuit that was supposed to be set to the exact local voltage. But most equipment these days is designed to be able to run on the permitted variation of voltages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Have you measured the voltage of the supply?

380v was the standard years ago giving single phase voltage of 220v. Its 400 these days giving s.p. 230v.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Of more concern is whether the supply in your shed is capable of the additional load!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It must be a fair sized CNC machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

burrellman wrote: »
    I have 415v 3 phase power in the shed. I am looking at a cnc machine which requires 380v 3 phase same 50hz frequency. Will it work with my supply or will it sizzle?
    cheers

As stated it is actually a 400/230V supply, with a tolerance of +10% - -6%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

burrellman wrote: »
    cheers

Yes it will work. 415 volt was a system based on 240 volt , single phase.
    Then there was 380 volt old system based on 220 volt single phase.

Now, in Europe all harmonised at 400 volt, based on 230 volt single phase.

Basically no difference, as stated earlier, the voltage is nominal only 380 to 415 volt are all within the tolerence of the newish nominal voltage of 400 v

Advertisement