Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair Toner

Options
  • 07-04-2015 12:26am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Excuse my ignorance on the topic here, Im nearly asking if my understanding is correct, as much as Im asking for advice..

I've been getting a full head of highlights for a while now, ive had maybe 4 sessions so my hair has gone from its naturally dark colour to quite blonde.
    I try to space out the highlights for as long as I can, about 10-12 weeks in between.
    However in this time my hair has gone this disgusting(I think anyway!) murky colour, quite brown and brassy, not to mention my roots will be halfway down my head.

I was wondering if I was to into a hairdressers after 6-8 weeks and ask for a toner treatment, would this help keep the nice blondeness? I dont want to get the highlights done before the 10ish weeks because Im so scared of how much damage Im doing already to it, without making it more frequent..
    Is toner what Im looking for? And do most hairdressers offer this, or is it something I should be buying in a shop myself?

Any info would be really appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I usually use a violet toning shampoo and/or conditioner to minimise yellow tone between hair appointments. These vary in the amount they can tone-deeper coloured ones work better. My current favourites are:

Wella Sp Silver Blonde Shampoo
    Joico Color Endure Violet Shampoo
    Redken Blonde Idol Custom Tone Violet conditioner
    Evo Fabuloso Colour Intensifying Conditioner in Platinum Blonde
    Goldwell Dualsenses Blondes & Highlights shampoo and conditioner-less toning than the others but leave hair in great condition.

To hide root regrowth I use Color Wow Root cover up powder in platinum blonde. This comes in an eyeshadow style palette with a small brush for precision application. For more global coverage of extensive regrowth I use a powder called Rootflage. This comes in a bottle with a round brush applicator on the top. The lightest shade is invisible on my hair, so I use Cool Blonde. This product also works as a dry shampoo.

Neither of these will completely hide regrowth 100 percent, but they blend mine giving a sort of ombre effect.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

sunbeam wrote: »
    I usually use a violet toning shampoo and/or conditioner to minimise yellow tone between hair appointments. These vary in the amount they can tone-deeper coloured ones work better. My current favourites are:

Wella Sp Silver Blonde Shampoo
    Joico Color Endure Violet Shampoo
    Redken Blonde Idol Custom Tone Violet conditioner
    Evo Fabuloso Colour Intensifying Conditioner in Platinum Blonde
    Goldwell Dualsenses Blondes & Highlights shampoo and conditioner-less toning than the others but leave hair in great condition.

To hide root regrowth I use Color Wow Root cover up powder in platinum blonde. This comes in an eyeshadow style palette with a small brush for precision application. For more global coverage of extensive regrowth I use a powder called Rootflage. This comes in a bottle with a round brush applicator on the top. The lightest shade is invisible on my hair, so I use Cool Blonde. This product also works as a dry shampoo.

Neither of these will completely hide regrowth 100 percent, but they blend mine giving a sort of ombre effect.

I have the Joico shampoo actually and tbf it definitely does help.. How often would you use it may I ask? I've been only using it once a week because I like to heap on the repair and moisturising shampoos and conditioners for the other washes!
    Also do you leave it sit in your hair for long?

Ive never heard of the Root Cover Up Powder, definitely going to google it now. I knew itd be a battle to keep my naturally dark brown hair blonde, but I never really realised how hard haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Out of all of the products mentioned above I would use the Joico shampoo the least often as I find it quite drying. I leave it in for up to 10 minutes.

The Wella SP is as deeply pigmented but definitely more hydrating. I'm currently rotating it with the Goldwell shampoo and conditioner and Pureology Strength Cure shampoo. I don't leave the Goldwell Shampoo in for very long, as doing so doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The matching conditioner does help the tone though and together they do great things for the condition of my hair.

If I'm in a rush I'll go for the Evo or Redken conditioners as I'd normally leave conditioner in for 3-5 minutes anyway. The Redken one is the only product to have stained my scalp purple. Thankfully it came out at the next wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

I was a big fan of the Provoke twice a week brightening shampoo while I was blonde. It always removed brassiness, didn't dry out my hair too much and costs less than €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

I use a purple shampoo called tone I put it in my hair dry once every two weeks leave for 10 min it works but can be very dry I also use 2phase spray conditioner which is great for rehydrating hair and protecting it from heated instruments like hair dryer or straighteners I get these from Hennessy's its a hair dressers suppliers you can order on line

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the replies!
    sunbeam wrote: »
    Out of all of the products mentioned above I would use the Joico shampoo the least often as I find it quite drying. I leave it in for up to 10 minutes.

The Wella SP is as deeply pigmented but definitely more hydrating. I'm currently rotating it with the Goldwell shampoo and conditioner and Pureology Strength Cure shampoo. I don't leave the Goldwell Shampoo in for very long, as doing so doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The matching conditioner does help the tone though and together they do great things for the condition of my hair.

If I'm in a rush I'll go for the Evo or Redken conditioners as I'd normally leave conditioner in for 3-5 minutes anyway. The Redken one is the only product to have stained my scalp purple. Thankfully it came out at the next wash.

Thats interesting about the Joico one, because its definitely the brand my hairdresser seems to be pushing, but yea I definitely dont love it.
    I might give the Wella one a go, hydrating sounds like what I need too!
    sibby wrote: »
    I was a big fan of the Provoke twice a week brightening shampoo while I was blonde. It always removed brassiness, didn't dry out my hair too much and costs less than €5.
    I've seen that in my local Dealz actually, no harm in picking it up at that price and giving it a chance :)
    crestglan wrote: »
    I use a purple shampoo called tone I put it in my hair dry once every two weeks leave for 10 min it works but can be very dry I also use 2phase spray conditioner which is great for rehydrating hair and protecting it from heated instruments like hair dryer or straighteners I get these from Hennessy's its a hair dressers suppliers you can order on line
    Never even heard of Hennessys before, but again Ill google it now and see what this spray conditioner is like!

Theres actually so much involved in keeping hair looking nice and blonde and actually feeling and being nice and healthy. Id really say I spend and worry more over my hair much more than a sane person would..

Advertisement