Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xeon, i5 or i7?

Options
  • 07-04-2015 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Im looking for suggestions on which is the better upgrade for me realistically.
    Im torn between an Xeon e3 1231 v3 , i5 4570 and an i7 4790k.

The rig will mainly be used for After Effects, Batch Photo Editing, Video Rendering with Premier and some light gaming (new games but wont be playing too often). Iv already chosen the ASRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer as my preferred board unless i go with the i7 then i could get an z97.
    I probably wont overclock so is the k series i7 worth the extra 100-150 over the xeon? Money really isnt a problem for me but i dont want to spend extra if needs be either.
    Other system specs are:
    GTX660
    16gb 1866mhz ram
    Corsair cx600.

Will probably replace the 660 soon enough aswell as its going to limit me but its not of immediate concern.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

Hmmm. Personally I'd Get the i7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I certainly wouldn't go with the Xeon. It's price comes from the fact that it is designed for a server environment. I think the i7 would be a good choice for the applications you will use.

vangoz wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't go with the Xeon. It's price comes from the fact that it is designed for a server environment. I think the i7 would be a good choice for the applications you will use.

And being from a server environment means it has a higer standard of quality control.is expected to run all day and night for a long time.

Apart from the lack of igpu. I don't see your point. Not said in a mean way more curious.

It is basically an i7.

It is basically an i7.

So you still recommend the i7 over the Xeon? Its looking like the difference in cost for chip and board at around 150 between the two. Im highly unlikely to overclock anyway so wont really use the features of the k series. I know the i7 is clocked slightly higher but thats not a major issue for me i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

So you still recommend the i7 over the Xeon? Its looking like the difference in cost for chip and board at around 150 between the two. Im highly unlikely to overclock anyway so wont really use the features of the k series. I know the i7 is clocked slightly higher but thats not a major issue for me i think.

Check out some Xeon vs i7 reviews to help decide if the extra 150 is worth spending.

No I was pointing out to the other poster that an xeon is basically an i7 minus the igpu and the price tag.

It is q great chip for someone like yourself no interest in overclocking and has a dedicated gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

It's a substantial difference in clock speeds. i7-4790k turbos up to 4.4 GHz in stock form. Even if you don't overclock it would be easy to lock the clock multipliers so it doesn't drop lower than 4.4. That Xeon only turbos to 3.8, but it will drop to 3.4 base clock with multi-core workloads (and nothing you can do to change that as it's not a K chip). That makes the i7 30% faster even without overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'm pretty sure you can lock all 4 cores to max turbo even on non K chips. Most modern motherboards support that.

It's down to you if the extra overclocked speed on the i7 is worth it bearing in mind the extra cost of an overclocking motherboard, cpu cooler etc.

You are running CPU heavy programs so if money isn't a problem and you want max performance then the i7 could be worth a shot.

If you really want to push performance you could go for the newer 6 core- 12 thread cpu's either but that means getting DDR4 which was pricey last time I checked.

The i7-5820K is only €50 more than the 4790k through the discount site Geizhals on Hardwareversand. The board and RAM prices are significantly higher though but you can give yourself support for 64GB of RAM and it is nearly 50% faster.

Didnt know I could lock the Xeon to 3.8, ill look more into that.
    Yeah Iv looked into x99 but just the price of DDR4 right now was putting me off of it for now.
    Its a straight choice between the 4790k and the Xeon now. I have a feeling I will probably go with the Xeon due to saving about 150 between it and the mobo. It means I can put it towards a nice keyboard like a k70 or a ducky or keep it aside for a 4k monitor.
    I spend about 20 hours a week between them programs and a little Modelling with Maya for college projects. I will most likely be using this system for about 3 years and will move over to the industry standard Mac Pro then and keep the PC for gaming and casual use. :)

Thanks for all the help everybody :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement