Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VSS to Subversion training?

Options
  • 07-04-2015 6:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a course in Dublin on using /administering Subversion?
    Most of us are moving from VSS (some from TFS).
    Mostly just want a kick start on the client tools and branching/tagging vs labelling strategies.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

There is a free book called the Red Book

I never used VSS or TFS but I think they're conceptually similar to SVN so really it's just a question of syntax. But many now opt for one of the distributed VCS [git, mercurial, bazaar etc) and that does mean a big rethink... at least it did for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Skip SVN completely if you can, for your own sake. Try git or mercurial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Had been looking at Git alright but we've already got a shared SVN server where I work.

Don't have a definite need "distributed" functionality but Git does seem to be the popular choice these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The biggest benefit to you will be the branching model, especially git-flow, branching in SVN is a horrible thing that I would never go back to. I would setup a free Gitlab server and never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

croo wrote: »
    There is a free book called the Red Book

I never used VSS or TFS but I think they're conceptually similar to SVN so really it's just a question of syntax. But many now opt for one of the distributed VCS [git, mercurial, bazaar etc) and that does mean a big rethink... at least it did for me!

I wish that were true. VSS/TFS are conceptually quite different to SVN. There is no notion of a single checkout in SVN (or if there is i havent found it). I've been forced to use SVN for one client and i hate it. For that client it is mostly used for reporting services RDL files. I dont want to imagine the pain of trying to resolve conflicts if somebody else edits one at the same time as me.

• Advertisement

There is no notion of a single checkout in SVN
    It's the commit that's important not the checkout. I would typically checkout a branch, revision or project. I need the whole project to compile it! The fact I have it checked out does not impact others. I commit the file(s) I changed when I wish.
    the pain of trying to resolve conflicts if somebody else edits one at the same time as me
    I cannot see how any version control system could be considered version control if it could not even manage that! I've used it on open source projects why many many developers and its merge could manage this.

I meant they were similar in the sense that they're not distributed version control systems where every change is in essence a new branch. Of course the big difference is with a DVCS my checked out project is in itself a repository so I have the power of the repo even if I do not have access to the companies/projects repo.

Giblet wrote: »
    The biggest benefit to you will be the branching model, especially git-flow, branching in SVN is a horrible thing that I would never go back to. I would setup a free Gitlab server and never look back.
    It's also very fast!

Advertisement