Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould Removal (Waterford City)

Options
  • 07-04-2015 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Could anyone suggest anywhere I could get a reasonable quote for removal of mould from my bathroom ceiling? Its a small enough bathroom with poor ventilation and black mold spots have covered the ceiling. I need them removed asap and due to breathing issues can`t remove them myself.

Can anyone suggest anyone who could do it?

(The well known company who appears near the top of the google search results is going to be too expensive for me.)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Its an easy fix just need to wash it with some domestos or bleach then repaint the ceiling, no need to get someone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Could anyone suggest anywhere I could get a reasonable quite for removal of mould from my bathroom ceiling? Its a small enough bathroom with poor ventilation and black mold spots have covered the ceiling. I need them removed asap and due to breathing issues can`t remove them myself.

Can anyone suggest anyone who could do it?

(The well known company who appears near the top of the google search results is going to be too expensive for me.)

Thanks

Quick cheap but temporary solution is to use this bleach in a spray bottle. Use goggles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

If its a small area and a recurring problem, paint it yourself with an anti mould paint(Woodies or Morris's) Did this years ago in an ensuite and never had a problem again. Clean first as advised above

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

Its not a small area, its all over the bathroom ceiling, atlhough the bathroom is quite small. I suffer from breathing difficulties and am concerned about the effects of exposing myself to black mould spores since I have had severe allergic reactions in the past. I could use vinegar to get rid of it because I cannot tolerate the fumes from bleach, but again, I cant do it myself. I may even just pay someone to come in and do it for me, who doesn`t have breathing issues, a handyman or something but I dont know where to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Why not get a cleaner for a few hours to do it, you can also try something like this:
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/product/hg-mould-spray-500ml/15988/3.11.5#.VSP0itzF8fY

If you need the ceiling repainted make sure you use an appropriate product (there are loads in places like woodies or homebase) get a handyman to do it.

eg:
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/ronseal-antimould-paint-750ml/17927/2.20.7.0#.VSP0i9zF8fY

You can look for handyman and cleaner services in places like adverts.ie or gumtree there are loads of adds!
    Or even ask here on boards for recommendations (based on where you live of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Whilst I appreciate you are looking for a quick fix, you really need to address the underlying problem which is poor ventilation and lack of insulation. If you don't address the cause, mould will continue to appear on your ceilings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Whilst I appreciate you are looking for a quick fix, you really need to address the underlying problem which is poor ventilation and lack of insulation. If you don't address the cause, mould will continue to appear on your ceilings.

1000% on this reply you need ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

wellboytoo wrote: »
    1000% on this reply you need ventilation.

Agreed..... painting will only be a temp measure till you sort out the actual issue...
    insulate the ceiling and put in ventilation.

Yes Boss wrote: »

Yes the ventilation is practically non-existent. Its limited to one small slit of a window and there are several sources of dampness. I am only renting the flat and moving out in a few months so just want to get the mould off the ceiling and the landlord can address the underlying issues. Its something I am not able to fix myself and I am leaving soon enough.
    From what I understand black mould is toxic. I am allergic to mould and I also have asthma and other chronic respiratory problems (I have had an allergic reaction which nearly killed me once and I'm not taking any chances. Me scrubbing at that mould myself is simply not an option)

So I agree with you totally on the cause but that's not my issue. I do need a quick fix until I can leave. I might think about paying a cleaner if they can safely remove the mould for me. Does anyone know where I can call to get someone to remove this mould? A cleaning agency or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

your landlord should clean it to be honest

• Advertisement

Why not get a cleaner for a few hours to do it, you can also try something like this:
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/product/hg-mould-spray-500ml/15988/3.11.5#.VSP0itzF8fY

If you need the ceiling repainted make sure you use an appropriate product (there are loads in places like woodies or homebase) get a handyman to do it.

eg:
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/ronseal-antimould-paint-750ml/17927/2.20.7.0#.VSP0i9zF8fY

You can look for handyman and cleaner services in places like adverts.ie or gumtree there are loads of adds!
    Or even ask here on boards for recommendations (based on where you live of course).

Anybody have any recommendations? :)

your landlord should clean it to be honest

I know but I cant bring myself to ask. Ill just handle it myself in case it creates trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

Ok, first get a bottle of HG Mould Spray.

Simply spray on the affected area, leave for a half hour and wipe of with a damp cloth (or just hose with shower where appropriate).

HG Mould Spray works a treat at removing the mould and it keeps mould away for longer than using plain bleech and water.

Ask your landlord if he will pay for the bottle upon receiving the receipt (its tax deductible for him).

Ask a friend to spray and wipe if needs be or get a cleaner. You can also ask the landlord to pay for the cleaner again it is a tax deduction for him/her.

If you are looking for a short term fix you might not have to paint the ceiling.

HG Mould Spray is also excellent for removing black mould from the wall tile grout.

Google a few reviews and you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ok, first get a bottle of HG Mould Spray.

Simply spray on the affected area, leave for a half hour and wipe of with a damp cloth (or just hose with shower where appropriate).

HG Mould Spray works a treat at removing the mould and it keeps mould away for longer than using plain bleech and water.

Ask your landlord if he will pay for the bottle upon receiving the receipt (its tax deductible for him).

Ask a friend to spray and wipe if needs be or get a cleaner. You can also ask the landlord to pay for the cleaner again it is a tax deduction for him/her.

If you are looking for a short term fix you might not have to paint the ceiling.

HG Mould Spray is also excellent for removing black mould from the wall tile grout.

Google a few reviews and you'll see what I mean.

walking dead!

Advertisement