Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making a career change to Microbiology

• 07-04-2015 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi

I'm toying with the idea of doing a masters in Microbiology in the UK (Aberdeen or Northumbria). I'd be interested in working in QC/QA in a pharma or food company. I applied last year and got offered both places but I couldn't move over due to unforeseen circumstances.

I have a BSc in Environmental Science and I'm currently doing an upskilling course Level 8 cert in "Pharmaceutical and Medical Device manufacturing" (Syllabus: Aseptic processing & Utilities, Formulations & Packaging, Process analytical technology, GMP, Validations systems, Pharmaceutical processes).

I have to say that I really like the microbiology element of my previous degree (which was more diagnostic microbiology, testing environmental samples) and of the current course I'm on at the moment.

Though I think I might be in a catch 22. From what I hear in the grapevine is that it is difficult to get a micro testing position without a Micro degree. On the other hand postgraduate degree's might be seen as being over qualified to take up quality positions by an employer. Should I go ahead and study something I'm passionate about or could I be shooting myself in the foot so to speak?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

NUIG has a post graduate diploma in Applied Microbiology. It may be more convinient than the UK. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

NOS3 wrote: »
    NUIG has a post graduate diploma in Applied Microbiology. It may be more convinient than the UK. :)

Thanks. Yeah I actually applied for that last year but didn't get an offer. It says you need microbiology modules in third year. I had a micro module in third year and final years but the name of the modules were misleading. I contacted the course co-ordinator but I think they had their numbers at that stage. Maybe I'll contact them again and see if they'd consider me with the current course I'm on.

It looks like a great degree though, very focused! Oh and I'm free to move away this time

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murphd5

It can be challenging, people I know that worked in this sector have a hard time of it. Can you try through a company education assitance policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Murphd5 wrote: »
    It can be challenging, people I know that worked in this sector have a hard time of it. Can you try through a company education assitance policy?

Yeah it does seem to be very tough, I know a few of the guys on the course I'm on right now PhD's and masters in Biotech/Biochem/Micro so it does put me off a little. I'm not sure if it's a case that these guys can't travel or move abroad for work. To be honest I'm trying to get on a micro related internship at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Do you know anyone who works in this field already? I've found that training/education rarely matches the actual day-to-day aspect of working in a particular area.

Just make sure that you get as much detail as possible. It's the small things that can make a difference (sorry, couldn't help the pun!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement