Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Manure Pellets Question

Options
  • 07-04-2015 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭

Picked up a bucket of this stuff (organic) in pellet form.
    Would it be ok to use this on salad crops, lettuce, spring onions, beetroot etc?
    Never used it before...any idea of how much to use on an 8x4 raised bed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Picked up a bucket of this stuff (organic) in pellet form.
    Would it be ok to use this on salad crops, lettuce, spring onions, beetroot etc?
    Never used it before...any idea of how much to use on an 8x4 raised bed.
    Organic simply means it's derived from living matter as opposed to chemical fertilisers. Personally I don't see an issue with using them for your crops, although if you want your food to be organic (free from chemicals and pesticides), then I'd buy organic certified fertiliser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Organic simply means it's derived from living matter as opposed to chemical fertilisers. Personally I don't see an issue with using them for your crops, although if you want your food to be organic (free from chemicals and pesticides), then I'd buy organic certified fertiliser.

Sorry, I wasn't worried or wondering about the organic aspect, just is it ok to use this. I was wondering could it affect the taste of delicate plants like lettuce etc. It has quite a whiff! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't worried or wondering about the organic aspect, just is it ok to use this. I was wondering could it affect the taste of delicate plants like lettuce etc. It has quite a whiff! :)
    No because it's organic it breaks down in the soil and only the nutrients are taken up by the plant, rest assured you won't be eating chiken poo scented vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I use them on everything OP, go for it. As to how much dont go mad and cover every cm, just scatter it about. Poor quality soil would need more. What are you using to make the raised bed with? - if you bought the topsoil hopefully its decent enough already. As its a natural product I wouldn't worry too much about overdoing it within reason.
    oh and goes without saying, wash your hands afterward , especially if you are going to be handling food!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Supercell wrote: »
    I use them on everything OP, go for it. As to how much dont go mad and cover every cm, just scatter it about. Poor quality soil would need more. What are you using to make the raised bed with? - if you bought the topsoil hopefully its decent enough already. As its a natural product I wouldn't worry too much about overdoing it within reason.
    oh and goes without saying, wash your hands afterward , especially if you are going to be handling food!

Cheers!
    Watched a video last night on GIY on growing celery. I noticed the adice was to throw a handful around them throughout the growing season.

I have a new stinky friend! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I need to get another bucket of this stuff, as it made a huge difference last year. I would highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

only problem is the dogs keep eating them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

enumbers wrote: »
    only problem is the dogs keep eating them :(

not uncommon but to prevent this happening, try wetting area after application, usually dissolves the pellets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there any veg or fruit chicken pellets shouldn't be used on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

fryup wrote: »
    is there any veg or fruit chicken pellets shouldn't be used on?

Carrots are one crop that are better when they do not get too much fertilizer as the roots can "fork" into multiple small roots chasing after the nutrients rather than focusing on producing one standard carrot root.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

And pay attention on how you spread on the plants ,trees or vegs.
    Do not touch them directly as that will burn the living thing !
    Do it gradually and in small quantity, maybe 2-3 small pieces around the plant.
    Use some gloves for your own protection.
    Re the smell, i used to tell my junior that this is the first smell of the food that goes on the table...

I'm having the small bottled water plastic and cut them on top.
    Inserting few pellets in there and then fil up with water. Drop in the soil, beside the tree and let the water slowly go off, gravity, down to soil.
    Repeating every couple of days until all pellets fully dissolved.
    Do it again every couple of weeks, depending on the weather or the growing stage of the plant / trees.

Good luck...

Advertisement