Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR Bay 10k : Monday Aug 3rd (Dún Laoghaire)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

A really good road race, it's my local and a pleasure to run that route once a year with no cars etc. not a fast one but a good challenge with great support along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Always enjoyed this and would recommend it. Their decision to defer my entry in 2013 after injury the week of the race to 2014 with no questions or quibble was very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Heading to a meeting for this later in the week - shout if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

I've signed up for this. It's my first organised race. I know the area pretty well but I am have a bit of a hard
    Time working out the map from the course info. Will it be well signposted on the way? Obviously there will be hordes of people ahead of me but I could do with the reassurance for my first go :)

uberalex wrote: »
    I've signed up for this. It's my first organised race. I know the area pretty well but I am have a bit of a hard
    Time working out the map from the course info. Will it be well signposted on the way? Obviously there will be hordes of people ahead of me but I could do with the reassurance for my first go :)

Course is pretty straight forward, fully closed roads and well marshaled on the 60+ junctions :eek:

1-3k relatively flat.
    Starting at Newtownsmith, make your way up past Teddy's Ice Cream and onto Queen's Rd.
    Turn down onto the lower road at the yacht club and continue until Crofton Tce, where you turn back onto the main road.
    Keeping going until Seafield Ave and then turn up to the Monkstown Rd.

3k - 5.5k you are making your way up to the high point, but it's not consistent you have as much flat as up in that section.
    Up into Monkstown, turn up Carrickbrennan Rd at the church, left at the roundabout onto Mounttown Upper and then Lower.
    From there Glenageary Rd (halfway) up to the Sallynoggin Roundabout.

5.5k - 9.2k pretty quick, mainly downhill with a few flat sections
    Down to Killiney Towers, Albert Rd, right turn at St. Catherine's, back through Eton Pk and down to Glasthule, turn down Link Rd at you are back at the start.

9.2k - Finish back through the start line and a cheeky little climb up past Teddy's Ice Cream Parlor then the last 400-500 is flat if not slightly downhill.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Course is pretty straight forward, fully closed roads and well marshaled on the 60+ junctions :eek:

Thank you! I have a much better idea now.
    I can look forward to running past the ice cream parlour at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

1-3k relatively flat.
    Starting at Newtownsmith, make your way up past Teddy's Ice Cream and onto Queen's Rd.
    Turn down onto the lower road at the yacht club and continue until Crofton Tce, where you turn back onto the main road.
    Keeping going until Seafield Ave and then turn up to the Monkstown Rd.

3k - 5.5k you are making your way up to the high point, but it's not consistent you have as much flat as up in that section.
    Up into Monkstown, turn up Carrickbrennan Rd at the church, left at the roundabout onto Mounttown Upper and then Lower.
    From there Glenageary Rd (halfway) up to the Sallynoggin Roundabout.

5.5k - 9.2k pretty quick, mainly downhill with a few flat sections
    Down to Killiney Towers, Albert Rd, right turn at St. Catherine's, back through Eton Pk and down to Glasthule, turn down Link Rd at you are back at the start.

9.2k - Finish back through the start line and a cheeky little climb up past Teddy's Ice Cream Parlor then the last 400-500 is flat if not slightly downhill.

What time would we need to be down there to get parking in one of the car parks, bringing the family down, will make it a day out as they love the harbour and park down there.

What time would we need to be down there to get parking in one of the car parks, bringing the family down, will make it a day out as they love the harbour and park down there.

What side are you coming from or ideally would like to head towards afterwards?
    I would get there before 10 and park up on the main street (McDonalds side) or one of the side roads from there leading down to the front. The Newtownsmith (near the start) will probably be full by 9:30, but also subject to the road closure, so unlikely to open until around 12:15.
    If you want to pay you can park in the public park beside the Royal Marine.

What side are you coming from or ideally would like to head towards afterwards?
    I would get there before 10 and park up on the main street (McDonalds side) or one of the side roads from there leading down to the front. The Newtownsmith (near the start) will probably be full by 9:30, but also subject to the road closure, so unlikely to open until around 12:15.
    If you want to pay you can park in the public park beside the Royal Marine.

Be coming in from black rock side and should be there till at least 3

Be coming in from black rock side and should be there till at least 3

Plenty of parking near by then or as I said you can pop it up in the Royal Marine and you have pedestrian access down to the finish area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Really looking forward to this race! I did it last year and thought it was the nicest and best organised 10k I'd ever done. So much going for it. Good luck everyone taking part. If you start to find any of the hills tough, Just think of the teddys ice cream waiting for you at the finish line :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this race! I did it last year and thought it was the nicest and best organised 10k I'd ever done. So much going for it. Good luck everyone taking part. If you start to find any of the hills tough, Just think of the teddys ice cream waiting for you at the finish line :-)

Were there many walkers can you remember? :rolleyes:

Fudge74 wrote: »
    Were there many walkers can you remember? :rolleyes:

Last year's results had about 150 > 70mins, make of that what you will.
    http://www.precisiontiming.net/result.aspx?v=2123

Hi,

Can another person collect someone number on Sunday?

Thanks

Hi,

Can another person collect someone number on Sunday?

Thanks

Hi, yes - ideally with your confirmation letter or they could be asked for some personal info such as DOB or mobile.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anyone know what time collection is possible from on Monday morning, or if there is a Saturday collection time? Thought I collected on sat last year, but can't make it on Sunday...

copacetic wrote: »
    Anyone know what time collection is possible from on Monday morning, or if there is a Saturday collection time? Thought I collected on sat last year, but can't make it on Sunday...

Sat - no
    Monday until 10am

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Thanks for that, checked last years thread and I did collect on the Sunday alright. Woke up with sharo pain on left side when breathing or turning. That's new! feels like a muscle problem of some sort, number pickup might not matter now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Excellent event. Nice route. Very Well marshaled. Thanks to all the volunteers who made it an excellent 10km. One for the diary next year.

Very tough course, marshalls were great, as were the crowd. Even gave me a second medal for my two kids. Some small things:
    - The corals were a disaster, need a sub 45 one as first k is too much of a bottle neck.
    - No drinks at the finish line or did I miss that?
    - First k marker was way off.

Well done on arranging the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

- No drinks at the finish line or did I miss that?

Well done on arranging the weather

Yes the water and nature valley bars were down closer to the ferry terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Excellent event as always. Tough course but the support makes up for the hills.
    Thanks to Marshall, Garda and volunteers on great work. Special mention to local kids with water,oranges and jellies at the 8 km marker!

Yes the water and nature valley bars were down closer to the ferry terminal.

Ah ok, would of thought they be at the finish line. Especially with that weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Had to fun of organising a group of stewards from my club at this ha, have to say fair play to BB for making my job easy and as smooth as he could. The race is always bad timing for me but some year I might get to race it ha.

My first organised event, and first run after almost a month of injury.

There really is nothing like Dun Laoghaire in the sunlight. The bay was lovely.

Running a race like that was a very different experience to my normal, solo, early-morning runs. I'd be interested in any tips about the first km: I found it hard to get up to speed because I was weaving around people and being overtaken as well.

I think I might try another event some time soon: what's next in the calendar for the Dublin area?

Thanks for the feedback, weather was a bonus.
    Restricted to where we can put the water etc as they need that road open as quickly as they can.

Times are up: http://www.precisiontiming.net/result.aspx?v=2859
    Some pics here for facebookers

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Great race as always. I've still got a chest virus/infection so I'm almost 10 mins slower (55 mins today :( ) on my 10kms this past 2 weeks. Dreading Frank Duffy now if I don't recover in time.

Thanks for the feedback, weather was a bonus.
    Restricted to where we can put the water etc as they need that road open as quickly as they can.

Times are up: http://www.precisiontiming.net/result.aspx?v=2859
    Some pics here for facebookers

Thks for answering the water question, other races should take note from Ye guys on how to answer questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Great race today, great organisation, stewards and crowd were great but those inclines???? OMG those hills were tough and way to much praying for sun, it was roasting!

My first time doing this race and I really enjoyed it - I liked the route, I need more hill training, and I'll be back next year. Great tshirt too.

Negatives:
    water - I couldn't find it at the end and when I did it was cups! Small bottles would have been better
    goodies after the race - a bit chaotic - volunteers trying to poor water in cups and open Nature Bars at the same time with crowds around them and huge queues for yoghurt - I passed on the yoghurt and headed to Teddys - delish.

Nice to meet Beepbeep and nice vibe about the whole race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Great event. Really enjoyed it. Well organised. Hard to prevent but the walkers at the front of the second bin was just annoying. Lucky no one was hurt trying to avoid them and kids/buggies just after the start line.

Advertisement