Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Guy!

Options
  • 07-04-2015 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Probably 40,000 threads like this and against many charter rules but to heck with it!

Considering starting cycling, mostly for fitness. My work has the B2W scheme so I could use that too to help me get a decent bike.

5'11'' and about 14 stone if that makes any difference.

Could anybody recommend a good bike for starters that won't break the bank.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

9bred4 wrote: »
    Probably 40,000 threads like this and against many charter rules but to heck with it!

Considering starting cycling, mostly for fitness. My work has the B2W scheme so I could use that too to help me get a decent bike.

Could anybody recommend a good bike for starters that won't break the bank.

What money do you have to spend, we'll spend it for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

See I dunno what a realistic budget is! (Nor do I know exactly how the B2W scheme goes)

Is 400-500 enough? Or will that only buy me one wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You'll most likely get plenty of advice to spend between €999 and €1000, i.e. use up the full BTW allowance. The arguments will be that basically the government is paying for half of it, you'll only pay a small amount over the course of a year, and that once you get going you'll want to buy a new/better bike almost immediately.

I'm new to cycling too, I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Ok so how do I avail of the B2W? And what is it exactly? I live 15km from where I work so it'd be a trek but nice over Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Once you're up an going 15km will be nothing to you. Should be able for it in about 30-40 minutes in no time.

You need to talk to your employer about how they operate. Some will give you a check some will use One4All vouchers. Check is better as the shop loses about 10% of the value on vouchers as commission to One4All. Shops will give you a better deal if you are paying by check.

Basically the company pays for the bike up to 1000, you then either pay it back at once or over the course of 12 months directly out of your wages. It is taken out before tax so you are not liable for PAYE on it be that at 21% or 52% depending on your earnings (I may have the % wrong).

You pick a bike at a shop and negotiate the deal, get a quote and bring it to work, they give you the money and then you get the bike.

You can also contribute so if the bike is over 1000 you can pay the balance yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

See I dunno what a realistic budget is! (Nor do I know exactly how the B2W scheme goes)

Is 400-500 enough? Or will that only buy me one wheel?

Think if it costs you 1000 euro you get 420 back in tax or something. Not sure myself. Depends on whether or not your on the top bracket.

Are you going Hybrid or road bike? Any plans to do regular spins.

Thanks for that! Really informative. So if I ask to see what they offer here at work. Will more than likely opt to have it out of my wages.

yop wrote: »
    Think if it costs you 1000 euro you get 420 back in tax or something. Not sure myself. Depends on whether or not your on the top bracket.

Hybrid? I live in Waterville so any of ye who are familiar with the Ring of Kerry cycle might be able to advise me on what bike is suitable. I'm doing this more so for fitness at the start, then hopefully turn it into a hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

That's a low enough weight that it doesn't make any difference. As you're interested in potentially turning this into a hobby then get a road bike. One with drop-bars rather than flat handlebars.

They give you more positions to put your hands which helps with comfort over longer spins. They also allow you to get lower down which is nice if there's a head-wind.

The Giant Defy range goes from 600e to 1250e and any of them would be a good place to start. As you go up the range you get more gears, better wheels and things like a lighter (carbon-fibre) fork. Nothing wrong with the cheapest of them though. I'd be inclined to spend the full 1000e on the B2W for the reasons already given. Unless you'd miss the money then it's a kind of false economy.

[edit]And budget for a really good lock. Something like 80 euro or so. A solid u-lock, not a cable lock whatever you do.[/edit]

It comes out of wages, your pre tax element, which is how the savings are calculated. i.e. otherwise you'd be paying tax on that element.

If you are relatively fit I'd recommend a road bike. It's not as comfortable as a hybrid, but it is lighter and faster, and makes all elements of cycling more enjoyable for most people that want to cycle on roads, once you have got used to it.

• Advertisement

And do bikes have sizes and such? Like do I need to know what size I need or is that kinda done when you buy

If you are relatively fit I'd recommend a road bike. It's not as comfortable as a hybrid, but it is lighter and faster, and makes all elements of cycling more enjoyable for most people that want to cycle on roads, once you have got used to it.

I'd guess you mean it's not as comfortable when first getting used to one as a hybrid? For me my road-bike is more comfortable than my hybrid and gets relatively much more comfortable as the distance goes up.

And do bikes have sizes and such? Like do I need to know what size I need or is that kinda done when you buy

They have sizes but any competent bike shop should be able to tell you what size you are when you go in to buy it.

You're likely a M/L in the Giant Defy range I mentioned (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ie/bikes/model/defy.5/20115/79371/#geometry) but it depends on the relative proportions of your legs, upper body and arms. A bike shop should be able to tell by sticking you on a couple of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Without being sneery your question is slightly analogous to "I'm thinking of buying a car, which one should I get?" :)

So think about how you'd respond to someone asking you that?

Probably:
    1. What's your budget (BTW BTW covers up to 1k)
    2. What do you plan to use it for (This is the question that will help you tell estate vs 4x4 vs tiny hatchback if we stretch the analogy!!)
    3. How often/how far.

So in answer to what you have said already a couple of points:
    1. Remember that you can only use BTW once every 5 years, so if you are planning a minimal spend you might be better buying something secondhand until you figure out where you really want to spend your money and then use BTW
    2. What type of cycling do you want to do, that decides if you are going road bike, mountain bike, hybrid etc.

My personal experience was that set out like you thinking I'd "try a bit of ould cycling, but I'd never go for that fancy dan racing bikes and lycra nonsense at my age" and went and spend €500 on BTW on a hybrid.

Spent a couple week last summer riding the roads around Meath in the evenings after work, was pretty soon hooked, joined a club and was in a lather trying to stay on back of a group of lads me on the hybrid, them on the road bikes.

That convinced me that I needed a roadbike, so ended up at that stage blowing the 1k without BTW on a road bike.

Love it and all that, starting to longer distances and the road bike is the business, hybrid gets used sometimes for commuting to work, but if I had my time again I would eiither (a) figure out up front what I was really after or (b) spend €200 on a used hybrid, give it a lash for a while and then decide how to spend my BTW.

Or of course you could short circuit this by saying "I want to spend my full BTW on a road bike, please help me in this activity", because ultimately we all end up wanting a road bike and the best we can possibly afford, don't we!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

A lad started a thread today about a new trek 7.3 he bought, smashing bike and you'd have change from 650e. It's a good bike to commute on as you'll feel safer then being on a road bike...

Then next year buy a road bike and use the trek to commute and road bike for weekends.

quozl wrote: »
    I'd guess you mean it's not as comfortable when first getting used to one as a hybrid? For me my road-bike is more comfortable than my hybrid and gets relatively much more comfortable as the distance goes up.

That's what I meant but I take your point. As I say, I'm new to this and perhaps have an ill-fitting bike and/or a body that is taking time to get used to road bike/mileage/tiny saddle etc

Oh and also for more info on Bike to Wrok than you can shake a stick at, there is a megathread here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

yop wrote: »

If your on top rate of tax/prsi then a €1000 bike will cost you €480 (spread over a year so approx €9.25 a week)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

any good LBS will fit you for the bike or you can get a bike anf=d take it for a spiin and if it needs adjusting, they can do it prior to purchase.

So I just got the form for the B2W off the boss but it doesn't mention anything about any tax reductions? Only how much I want taken out of my salary a week

• Advertisement

So I just got the form for the B2W off the boss but it doesn't mention anything about any tax reductions? Only how much I want taken out of my salary a week

The deduction is taken from your gross (pre-tax salary). That is how you get the saving, which is dependent on the marginal rate you are paying.
    Please refer to the bike to work mega thread where you will find all required info on how BTW works.

Advertisement