Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newtownards Incident

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Pedestrians along the shore path that runs alongside the airfield say the aircraft lost power on take-off.

Apparently an Ikarus with one person on board.

Thankfully the emergency services are coincidentally located close to the airfield so hopefully the pilot received prompt attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭windowspotter

RTE now reporting deceased as a result of a microlight accident.

RIP - and thoughts to family & friends

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

Sad news. Yes I believe the pilot was killed in the accident.
    RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

arubex wrote: »
    Pedestrians along the shore path that runs alongside the airfield say the aircraft lost power on take-off.

Apparently an Ikarus with one person on board.

Thankfully the emergency services are coincidentally located close to the airfield so hopefully the pilot received prompt attention.

Unfortunately, I've read that the mother of the pilot witnessed the incident. :(

Now confirmed as Ikarus C42 G-CEDR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soccercrew

arubex wrote: »
    Now confirmed as Ikarus C42 G-CEDR.

Was this a plane used to teach others? Asking because I was thinking of starting my license out of there this week but this has put me off :(

soccercrew wrote: »
    Was this a plane used to teach others? Asking because I was thinking of starting my license out of there this week but this has put me off :(

Yes the C42s are popular for training on microlights, either as first aircraft or conversion from larger full-PPL types.

I know it's hard to be rational at time like this, but I've lived near Newtownards airfield for four decades and I can count the number of serious accidents on one hand. It's an exceptionally rare event.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

soccercrew wrote: »

Not a training aircraft. This was a privately owned group aircraft.

Advertisement