Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A chance to scrap the Angelus - Nutella, Croissants and Pineapples.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Thanks for that.
    Five minutes?
    Took me half an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Took me a bit too, but glad I got a chance to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I have a quicker way, change the channel :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

How about we include the Muslim call to prayer and other prompts to pray for all religions in existence? And sure, can't we just change the channel for them too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

And aren't there plenty of Educate Together schools that all the non-religious can go to? Sure what's the harm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

robindch wrote: »
    And aren't there plenty of Educate Together schools that all the non-religious can go to? Sure what's the harm?

Actually there are zero non-religious schools in Ireland. Even ET is multi-denominational rather than non-denominational although, to be fair, they do act more like non-denominational.

However, all of the places in ET schools are being taken by the religious and non-Catholics can't get into other schools because of their discriminatory practices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have an ideal solution. as well as broadcasting the angelus on RTE1, they should broadcast it on RTE2 simultaneously - but with the audio track phase inverted.
    that way, their *combined* output is one minute of silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hear Hear!
    Imagine being that pernickity that having the angelus on telly bugs you. Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Hear Hear!
    Imagine being that pernickity that having the angelus on telly bugs you. Sad really.

Imagine both paying state taxes and a license fee which are then used to pay for advertising of an iron age belief system during prime evening viewing time Every. Single. Day. Of. The. Year.
    Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hear Hear!

The sadder part is the desire for people to hear a clanging bell with a plethora of confused folk staring into the distance on their TV every single evening.

Makes loads of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Hear Hear!
    the outrage!!

license payers making use of a feedback survey to suggest changes they would like to see on the publicly funded television station.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It's only a minute ffs, who watches rte at 6pm anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Doesn't take that long to fill the survey. There are 26 questions. You can skip through if you wanted and just leave the comment to get rid of the Angelus.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Its 1 minute out of your life,big deal.
    I like the minute to stop and pause during a busy day. Your wish for it to not be broadcast is as valid as my wish that it should be broadcast. Live and let Live!!
    Why not just change the channel??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Aiel wrote: »
    I like the minute to stop and pause during a busy day. Your wish for it to not be broadcast is as valid as my wish that it should be broadcast. Live and let Live!!

I take it you don't mind RTE being interrupted five more times a day for the Islamic call to prayer, then? After all, you can just change the channel.

Your wish for it to not be broadcast is as valid as my wish that it should be broadcast. Live and let Live!!
    Grand, if the RCC is allowed to broadcast its call to prayer on national television, then RTE should either (a) allow all other religious beliefs and non-beliefs to broadcast something of their choice too; or (b) stop allowing the RCC to broadcast its call to prayer.

What it can't do is provide privileged access to one group while denying access to everybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Sam Kade wrote: »
    It's only a minute ffs, who watches rte at 6pm anyway?

nobody...because they know well to avoid the dreadful racket taking place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I like the minute
    to stop and pause during a busy day. Your wish for it to not be broadcast is as valid as my wish that it should be broadcast. Live and let Live!!
    This is the problem, and the argument put forward by supporters of the angelus which seems practical and fair; except it's not. You can enjoy the angelus and still see how it makes sense for it to be scrapped, similar to how one can be religious and still support separation of church and state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Your wish for it to not be broadcast is as valid as my wish that it should be broadcast.

No it's not, and this is the point. RTE is a state broadcaster, in a (supposedly) secular state, promoting one particular religion by having space for a catholic prayer twice a day. This is the problem. It is not a catholic station and yet is promoting catholicism, even if it is only for a couple of minutes a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is a lot more 'religious programming'* than the two minutes a day. Masses/services, Would You Believe, that Gay Byrne yoke, etc. Joe Duffy where anyone who says they don't want to send their child to a catholic school / do catholic sacraments is portrayed as some sort of sociopath.

* programmes in the schedule which are religious, not programming minds with religion - or is it?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

nobody...because they know well to avoid the dreadful racket taking place

So what's all the fuss about then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What do you think about replacing it with the Muslim call to prayer? Would you be so understanding and accepting then?

You can still stop and pause for that one min

Grand, if the RCC is allowed to broadcast its call to prayer on national television, then RTE should either (a) allow all other religious beliefs and non-beliefs to broadcast something of their choice too; or (b) stop allowing the RCC to broadcast its call to prayer.

What it can't do is provide privileged access to one group while denying access to everybody else.

If you as an atheist have a suggestion of something that sums you up then why not let RTE know what it is.

Do you have anything other than catty remarks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

If you as an atheist have a suggestion of something that sums you up then why not let RTE know what it is.

Link to petition to scrap Angelus is in the first post on this thread.

Cabaal wrote: »
    What do you think about replacing it with the Muslim call to prayer? Would you be so understanding and accepting then?

You can still stop and pause for that one min

I would have no problem with the muslim call to prayer.What I do have a problem with is when people go out of their way to feel offended.

Do you have anything other than catty remarks?

What do you mean?

Your crappy one-liners, obviously.

There is a lot more 'religious programming'* than the two minutes a day. Masses/services, Would You Believe, that Gay Byrne yoke, etc. Joe Duffy where anyone who says they don't want to send their child to a catholic school / do catholic sacraments is portrayed as some sort of sociopath.

* programmes in the schedule which are religious, not programming minds with religion - or is it?

But you are living in a country that is 96% Christian. Are you suggesting the 1% that are non believers should dictate to the rest of the country?

• Advertisement

Your crappy one-liners, obviously.

Like the angelus on TV, you could choose not to read them but then again I get the feeling that you prefer to feel offended by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I would have no problem with the muslim call to prayer.What I do have a problem with is when people go out of their way to feel offended.

the definition of offended is "resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult." I dont see anyone saying they are being insulted, more so that its viewed as being either sectarian or promoting Catholicism

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

But you are living in a country that is 96% Christian. Are you suggesting the 1% that are non believers should dictate to the rest of the country?
    Dan - do you intend to continue supporting an irrelevant point with false statistics, or do you want to address the actual issue at hand, that of unequal treatment by a state/semi-state body?

The Angelus is there because the majority of R.T.E.'s viewers want it there. This survey/petition is not going to be worth the paper its printed on. If the majority of R.T.E.'s viewers were Muslim I would expect to see some sort of Muslim programming. If I didn't like it, I would change the channel. My five minutes filling out the petition would be much better served doing something useful like, say, email my local TD about indoctrination in schools. Moaning about 120 seconds of "BONG BONG...." makes people look petty. Most of the programs on R.T.E. are non religious, some could be considered blasphemous. I think its a fairly balanced schedule to be fair to them. Yes its the state broadcaster and in a state full of Catholics one must expect some Catholic TV. 120 seconds is not much really when you consider there are 86,398 more in the day. Why should my license fee go towards religious programming? Well I'm a vegetarian so should I complain when I see meat on R.T.E.? I think horse racing is cruel, should I complain about that? We can moan about petty things till the cows come home but in the end its better to just live and let live.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The Angelus is there because the majority of R.T.E.'s viewers want it there.

Do you have a source for that claim? Was there a poll carried out recently?

If you can read this, you're too close!

SW wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that claim? Was there a poll carried out recently?

No I don't have a source, its an assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

You have just offended me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Told them not to change it. Clearly some don't have enough to worry about in their lives.

Told them not to change it. Clearly some don't have enough to worry about in their lives.

And yet you were worried enough to tell them not to change it? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Get rid of RTE all together there is no need or point in a public broadcaster in this day and age.

If people want it, let them subscribe to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would suspect approaching the BAI would be a more fruitful method than a survey on RTE, largely because the number of complaints they get through the survey would probably be quite small.
    if the BAI enforce a 'equal time to all arguments' approach on issues like SSM, why not try to get their response on an argument that the angelus is a violation of that same principle.

• Advertisement

What really annoys me about the angelus is that I change back to 2 FM at 18:00 before the first bell chimes. Then in the morning, when I am getting the kids ready for school, I realise that something is annoying the behesus out of me (apart from the kids). Its bloody breakfast republic. Change back to RTE1 and start the cycle all over again.

I know, there are more than two radio stations and I have that internet thing.

Get rid of RTE all together there is no need or point in a public broadcaster in this day and age.

If people want it, let them subscribe to it.

That is actually a good idea. Let those who want it subscribe to a national channel dedicated to religious programming, and light entertainment. It could be called Religion Television and Entertainment.

Oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Impressive figures, where did you get them from?

Lucena wrote: »
    Impressive figures, where did you get them from?

According to the 2011 census 84% are catholic, 30% of whom go to mass weekly, 3% daily.

Non Christian religions and no religions are approx 9.5%

The [...] live and let live.
    Do you want to address the actual issue at hand, that of unequal treatment by a state/semi-state body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Was thinking that people who want to opt out of the angelus should have the 1 minute per day of their years worth of TV license refunded. Turns out it works out at only 11c :(

Do you want to address the actual issue at hand, that of unequal treatment by a state/semi-state body?

Be careful what you wish for. Personally I have no desire to hear the angelus. I also have no wish to be blasted by the shofar, the adhān, or mantras from various religions of the world.

Have you read the thread title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Have you read the thread title?

Have you?
    The Angelus is a call to prayer for Catholics.
    It is both unconstitutional to be broadcast by RTE and a waste of taxes and license fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

First of all, your stats are wrong.

Secondly, to use your logic, how can divorce be legal? It is clearly against the majority religion in the country. Ditto contraception, sex before marriage, homosexuality........ In fact, how are we even allowed to have a referendum in six weeks time about gay marriage, when such a thing is clearly opposed by the majority Christian churches. Surely, if we are living in 96% Christian country (your made-up figures, not mine), none of these things should be permitted, or even contemplated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement