Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Lunch in Drumcondra

Options
  • 07-04-2015 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Anyone any advice on best spots for lunch around this area. Sit in or take out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

Andersons Cafe on The Rise is very nice. It's very small though so there can be queues. There's also Andersons Creperie on Carlingford Road but they don't do proper lunches there, they do pancakes, cakes, omelettes, salads, sandwiches.

http://www.andersons.ie/
    Cafe menu: http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/north_dublin/glasnevin/andersons_foodhall/menu
    Creperie menu: http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/north_dublin/drumcondra/andersons_creperie/menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The lovely food company on drumcondra road is excellent. It's across the road from the bishop's palace. The breakfast is so good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

+1 for the Lovely Food Company.

Myself and my sister ate there a few weeks back for breakfast and it was delish.

However, my mum and dad went there a few days later on our recommendation and did not have such a good experience. The waitress was very cutting towards them and also towards another girl who came in looking for a table, to the result that the girl left.

When my parents left, they stopped into bread and butter a few doors down as they are under the same ownership. My mum spoke with the owner and informed him of how they were treated and he was not impressed.

I hope they arent going to get the same rep as the andersons staff have..snappy!

But over all, for food, the lovely food company is....lovely :)

cruais wrote: »
    I hope they arent going to get the same rep as the andersons staff have..snappy!

I've never had a negative experience with the staff in both of the Anderson's.

VG31 wrote: »
    I've never had a negative experience with the staff in both of the Anderson's.

Not in the rise, however, Carlingford Road is different. I have heard numerous reviews of bad attitude.

• Advertisement

cruais wrote: »
    Not in the rise, however, Carlingford Road is different. I have heard numerous reviews of bad attitude.

OK, I haven't been to that one as much but I haven't heard any one I know complain about it.

I live local to Carlingford Road, but head to the Rise when I want an Andersons, as the food is delish.

Neighbours and friends including myself have had bad experiences with Carlingford, that I purposely go out of my way and drive to the Rise.

Although, the lovely food company is probably going to take my business from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Yeah, lovely food co is delicious! It's very small though so it's sometimes hard to get a table. There was a 20 minute wait for a table for 6 of us so we decided to go to Anderson's but really wish we had just waited.

I'm happy other people mentioned staff in Anderson's. I find the rise fine but in the other one they are awful, I thought it was just me!

Mc mahons ( I think that's the name?? ) opposite the pyramid church is also meant to be very nice. I haven't been myself but I've heard good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Only place I have ever eaten in Drumcondra was in the Cat and Cage pub. Only once mind, but i though the food was fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

The cheese pantry opposite the Skylon hotel is excellent.

• Advertisement

Mc mahons ( I think that's the name?? ) opposite the pyramid church is also meant to be very nice. I haven't been myself but I've heard good things.

I heard that it's nice as well. Again, it's very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Andersons on The Rise isn't in Drumcondra. It's off Griffith Avenue in Glasnevin. It's not a million miles away, but if you only have an hour for lunch and you are coming from the town end of Drumcondra, you'd be hard pressed to make it, given the traffic you have to deal with on the airport road & the wait for a table at busy times.

The food is great though. Sadly, I agree about the staff....very surly, especially at the Carlingford Rd branch.

The food in the Botanic Gardens cafe is good too, but its usually jammers at lunch. Get there before 12 noon, or go after 2 if you want to be sure of a table.

The Croke Park Hotel (on Jones Road) is an option too.

Mick Wallance's Asti Trattoria is just up the road from the hotel. If you can set aside who owns the place for a sec, the pasta specials are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Diep is lovely. The do specials at lunch time that are pretty reasonable and taste great

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Andersons on The Rise isn't in Drumcondra. It's off Griffith Avenue in Glasnevin. It's not a million miles away, but if you only have an hour for lunch and you are coming from the town end of Drumcondra, you'd be hard pressed to make it, given the traffic you have to deal with on the airport road & the wait for a table at busy times.

I know it's not in Drumcondra but it almost is and I thought it was worth mentioning since I mentioned the one on Carlingford Road.
    The food in the Botanic Gardens cafe is good too, but its usually jammers at lunch. Get there before 12 noon, or go after 2 if you want to be sure of a table.

The Botanic Gardens is in Glasnevin as well.

I know they are. I just thought I'd mention that they were in Glasnevin and not Drumcondra, given the oftentimes brutal traffic that you can run into on the airport road. If you only have an hour for lunch, it could be a problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

There's Nelly's cafe for sandwiches / salads/ hotpot / homemade cakes. It's inbetween the station and Quinns.

Is The Porterhouse at the top of Whitworth Rd open for lunch? It's a massive place, so I've never had a problem getting a table there. I've only ever been there for dinner though. The food is ok, 'nowt spectacular, but ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

Is The Porterhouse at the top of Whitworth Rd open for lunch? It's a massive place, so I've never had a problem getting a table there. I've only ever been there for dinner though. The food is ok, 'nowt spectacular, but ok.

That's Glasnevin/Phibsboro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Arsenic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The food is great though. Sadly, I agree about the staff....very surly, especially at the Carlingford Rd branch.

The Croke Park Hotel (on Jones Road) is an option too.

Mick Wallance's Asti Trattoria is just up the road from the hotel. If you can set aside who owns the place for a sec, the pasta specials are really good.
    I know they are. I just thought I'd mention that they were in Glasnevin and not Drumcondra, given the oftentimes brutal traffic that you can run into on the airport road. If you only have an hour for lunch, it could be a problem. :)

:confused:

• Advertisement

Yes, some of the places mentioned are in Glasnevin / Phibsborough, but they are in the position that they arent a million miles away. 5 minutes in a car from Drumcondra, if the person is familiar with the area, to use side roads, which saves a heck of a time on traffic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

A little closer to town but still in that general direction is Kavanaghs on Dorset street. Near the Mater Private. Probably not Drumcondra per se, but close enough. I. Haven't been myself but have heard very good things about it from a few people. I have been to its sister, Mulligans in Stoneybatter, many times which is excellent. Mulligans is the only reason I wish I still lived in da batter.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Just to let you know, L. Mulligan's owners left Kavanagh's a couple of years ago. Don't know what the food is like there now under the new management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's of a similar standard for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

nosietoes wrote: »
    Just to let you know, L. Mulligan's owners left Kavanagh's a couple of years ago. Don't know what the food is like there now under the new management.

I pass by it a lot and don't think I've ever seen any punters in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

nosietoes wrote: »

Really? They only took it over themselves about 3 or 4 years ago.

The Porterhouse at the top of Whitworth Rd

Since we're going in that direction, the Brian Boru (opposite the Porterhouse) and Kavanagh's (the "Gravediggers") at Prospect Square are worth a mention.
    The Gravediggers was one of two Irish places to feature on the Lonely Planet Secret European Spots lists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

May as well mention Kennedy's in Fairview if we're going a bit out of the way too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Gibney's in Malahide worth a look too :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Very nice place called The Gallery in the grounds of the Regency hotel.

Advertisement