Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6+ already out of memory

• 07-04-2015 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

My iphone 6+ 16G is almost out of memory:

Used: 11.3GB
    Available 258MB

Photos 3.7GB
    Word 455MB

The rest of the items are just apps. I was going to delete the photos from the phone but need to make sure they're back up on Google+ but can't believe so much memory is used by iOS 8!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Apple are being sued over it
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/02/apple_iphone_ios_8_lawsuit/
    "[Apple] fails to disclose to consumers that as much as 23.1 per cent of the advertised storage capacity of the devices will be consumed by iOS 8 and unavailable when consumers purchase devices that have iOS 8 installed," allege the plaintiffs, who both live in Miami, Florida.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

My iphone 6+ 16G is almost out of memory:

Used: 11.3GB
    Available 258MB

Photos 3.7GB
    Word 455MB

The rest of the items are just apps. I was going to delete the photos from the phone but need to make sure they're back up on Google+ but can't believe so much memory is used by iOS 8!

Remember too that Apple made a recent change in iOS 8, basically increasing the amount of space for apps from 2GB to 4GB.

Hence why Apple only offered 16GB, then 64GB (notice no 32GB).

This was highlighted first when the iPhone 6/6+ was launched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

laoisfan wrote: »
    Remember too that Apple made a recent change in iOS 8, basically increasing the amount of space for apps from 2GB to 4GB.

Hence why Apple only offered 16GB, then 64GB (notice no 32GB).

This was highlighted first when the iPhone 6/6+ was launched.

I don't understand what you mean?

iniall wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean?

Since the very first iPhone/iPod Apple has had in place a 2GB size limit for apps.

Recently they changed that in iOS8. It has now increased from 2GB to 4GB which means developers can pack in more content into their apps e.g. games development for one.

Now think about it, especially with an iPhone/iPod which has only 16GB. Part of that 16GB is taken up with the OS for a start. Then with all your photos/videos etc. And now you potentially have app developers increasing their app size to 4GB? Some will, some won't, depends on the app. Pretty soon you are going to be hitting memory & space issues!

So...it really made no sense to go with a 16GB iPhone in the first place. Apple were cute in so far as they did not manufacture a 32GB phone, your first option after 16GB is the 64GB (more money for Apple), then you have 128GB (again...more money for Apple).

See where this is heading? And of course Apple offer the iCloud too :D

Edit: 4GB is the maximum size of the app package (used to be 2GB). This is not the same as the amount of memory the running app process consumes (separate matter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Since the very first iPhone/iPod Apple has had in place a 2GB size limit for apps.

Recently they changed that in iOS8. It has now increased from 2GB to 4GB which means developers can pack in more content into their apps e.g. games development for one.

Now think about it, especially with an iPhone/iPod which has only 16GB. Part of that 16GB is taken up with the OS for a start. Then with all your photos/videos etc. And now you potentially have app developers increasing their app size to 4GB? Some will, some won't, depends on the app. Pretty soon you are going to be hitting memory & space issues!

So...it really made no sense to go with a 16GB iPhone in the first place. Apple were cute in so far as they did not manufacture a 32GB phone, your first option after 16GB is the 64GB (more money for Apple), then you have 128GB (again...more money for Apple).

See where this is heading? And of course Apple offer the iCloud too :D

Edit: 4GB is the maximum size of the app package (used to be 2GB). This is not the same as the amount of memory the running app process consumes (separate matter)

You still aren't making any sense. If anything Apple are loosing money by dropping the 32gb, people were happy to pay €899 for 64gb 5s so they could have kept 16, 32, 64 and 128.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    You still aren't making any sense. If anything Apple are loosing money by dropping the 32gb, people were happy to pay €899 for 64gb 5s so they could have kept 16, 32, 64 and 128.

Apple are losing money!?! Seriously? Doubt that very much.

How am I not making sense? Perhaps you do not understand?

Apple are losing money!?! Seriously? Doubt that very much.

How am I not making sense? Perhaps you do not understand?

What do you think I don't understand? 5s 16gb was €699, 32gb €799 and 64gb €899. 6 16gb €699 64gb €799 and 128gb €899.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Hey guys im on the iphone 6 and 16gb my storage space is getting low is there some sort of way increasing this w/o deleting apps, dont get this icloud storage thingy :(

Hey guys im on the iphone 6 and 16gb my storage space is getting low is there some sort of way increasing this w/o deleting apps, dont get this icloud storage thingy :(

iCloud is basically Apple's version of Dropbox, Google Drive etc. You can store your videos/pictures there. They give you 5GB space free but if you want additional space you pay for it.

What do you think I don't understand? 5s 16gb was €699, 32gb €799 and 64gb €899. 6 16gb €699 64gb €799 and 128gb €899.

Oh I thought you did not understand my explanation of package space around apps and the changes Apple have made in iOS 8 etc.

And you've posted pricing for 5s and 6 and different sizes. So what? I bet Apple will still make money. That's what they do and they're very good at it. Apple made the app space changes AND got rid of the 32GB in the iPhone 6 to force people to go to the 64/128 version.....all to make money.

BTW...just for clarification...I use an Android so not defending Apple in any way shape or form. I might consider jumping over to them on my next upgrade though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Its a farce they are still selling 16gb, 32gb should be the base at the same price, there is already a hefty mark up. Flash memory doesnt cost that much and there is a huge markup on the "premium" 64gb models

Oh I thought you did not understand my explanation of package space around apps and the changes Apple have made in iOS 8 etc.

And you've posted pricing for 5s and 6 and different sizes. So what? I bet Apple will still make money. That's what they do and they're very good at it. Apple made the app space changes AND got rid of the 32GB in the iPhone 6 to force people to go to the 64/128 version.....all to make money.

BTW...just for clarification...I use an Android so not defending Apple in any way shape or form. I might consider jumping over to them on my next upgrade though.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say Apple don't make lots of money but the idea that they are making more by dropping the 32gb is laughable. The 64gb is at the same price point of the 32gb in previous models so anyone that usually got a 32gb is getting extra for the same money

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say Apple don't make lots of money but the idea that they are making more by dropping the 32gb is laughable. The 64gb is at the same price point of the 32gb in previous models so anyone that usually got a 32gb is getting extra for the same money

True but this could be some strategic thinking on Apple's behalf as it moves from a 32-bit iOS to a 64-bit iOS, move people on bigger storage devices and continue to make money at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

iCloud is basically Apple's version of Dropbox, Google Drive etc. You can store your videos/pictures there. They give you 5GB space free but if you want additional space you pay for it.

You still need the storage free on the iOS device though. So having 20GB iCloud storage doesn't necessarily benefit someone with a 16gb iPhone in regards to saving space. When it comes to photos, iCloud is nothing like dropbox as you still need the photo's stored on the device too. Now I know you can use it to optimise storage and keep the full resolution in the cloud but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

who buys 16gb and actually uses their phone.....

who buys 16gb and actually uses their phone.....

16gb can be plenty for some. I have spotify, all my pics are backed up to carousel and I have all the apps I need or want. I have 5.5gb left with another 1.5gb used on pics and videos.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    You still need the storage free on the iOS device though. So having 20GB iCloud storage doesn't necessarily benefit someone with a 16gb iPhone in regards to saving space. When it comes to photos, iCloud is nothing like dropbox as you still need the photo's stored on the device too. Now I know you can use it to optimise storage and keep the full resolution in the cloud but still.

Hence why Apple offer 64GB and 128GB.

Advertisement