Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ribble race bike reviews?

• 07-04-2015 2:37pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone using a Ribble frame for racing, if so, whats your opinion?

i am looking at the 7005 ultralite race but wouldn't mind some opinion on it first.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I had a Ribble Sportive for a few years and loved it, great bike. However, I did notice a big difference between that and the Tarmac I have now, but suppose there should be as there is a big price difference between the two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nak wrote: »
    I had a Ribble Sportive for a few years and loved it, great bike. However, I did notice a big difference between that and the Tarmac I have now, but suppose there should be as there is a big price difference between the two.

Was the difference in comfort or was there alot of flex in the Ribble frame?

The ribble is in my budget and very convenient but I still don't want to spend that much if the frame is spongy. I can't seem to find any reviews of it online, or even any telling me what the difference is between the different 7005 race frames except for the weight. I would sooner get a heavier frame if it was alot stiffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

CramCycle wrote: »
    Was the difference in comfort or was there alot of flex in the Ribble frame?

The ribble is in my budget and very convenient but I still don't want to spend that much if the frame is spongy. I can't seem to find any reviews of it online, or even any telling me what the difference is between the different 7005 race frames except for the weight. I would sooner get a heavier frame if it was alot stiffer.

The main difference for me between the 2 is the handling, the Tarmac corners better and is definitely faster, but that isn't just down to the frame. The Tarmac is less bumpy, so more comfortable overall. I'm pretty small, so flex isn't as much of an issue for me. I avoided the S-Works version as the frame was too stiff for me.

My Ribble was from a few years back, so sure the new ones are improved, at the time it was the best bike I'd ridden, so was very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

You will find the Ribble Ultralite is the same frame as the Pro-Lite Cuneo (From 2010-2012 era). The frame drawing number from the geometry charts confirms this. The newer model uses a different grade of aluminium.
    cuneo.gif

Ribble7005UltraliteGeometry.jpg

I picked one up here the adverts subforum a couple of months ago and cannot fault it.

I have owned and ridden what are categorized as stiff bikes (BMC Racemaster, Cannondale CAAD 10 & SuperSix) and have not found the Cuneo (Ultralite) to be noticeably less stiff.

The cuneo has a good reputation on other forums as the weight weenie build option and although i have not raced mine, it is recommended as an alternative to the caad 10 and the canyon ultimate al as a race ready aluminium frame.

Advertisement