Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boot from portable dvd player

Options
  • 07-04-2015 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Could you use a portable dvd player to boot a bootable disk from as with an external cd dvd player?For example the DJIX PVS 705-74H - black - Portable DVD player on pixmania.It reads cd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Unfortunately this is not possible. You would need a dedicated external cd/dvd drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭TheCowboy

degsie wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is not possible. You would need a dedicated external cd/dvd drive.
    Thanks. Why will it not work? Also if you were to make an external hard disk bootable could a section of it be made bootable or would all of the disk have to be formatted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

TheCowboy wrote: »
    Thanks. ....Also if you were to make an external hard disk bootable could a section of it be made bootable or would all of the disk have to be formatted.

I have made a number of external hard discs (including 2.5 inch hd in housings and usb pen drives) bootable with linux. But, as far as I can remember, I had to back up the disc first and put back the files afterwards. I think it depends on what tool you use to manage/set up the disk.
    I have one 16 g usb flash drive that has a single ordinary FAT partition with a bootable linux (knoppix) operation system on it and I have also used it for many other applications including plugging it into my tv saor box and recording tv films without problems.

Advertisement