Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship Qualifiers

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Arthur, I understand you are more than amazed. But there's no need to post the same things multiple times lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

GeneralC wrote: »
    I think Ken should really pack it in, he's been playing some awful stuff lately.

Hasn't played well in ages but ended up just 1 win away from playing at the Crucible. He's only 45 I think so a bit too early to be thinking about packing it in yet. Will get to at least 1 more for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,522 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Loving the new graphic bbc have this year. It shows how many points are left on the table and how many they need to leave the opponent needing snookers. Great idea. It was up in the first frame but looks to be gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mess2success

I liked the graph too, but there seemed to be a huge backlash on Twitter to it and after that they seemed to stop using it. I'm terrible at doing the maths so I found it very useful. I thought it was up a little too much in the first frame but if they could strike a better balance I would like for it to continue. But if they go by the feedback on Twitter we will never see it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Mc Gill seems to be doing very well. He's not giving maguire many chances and the ones he does maguire isn't capitalising on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

8-8 now in the Selby Macklin game. Crucible curse about to strike again? I like Macklin's style. Very positive player. His positioning has been a bit iffy at times but he's going for his shots. Selby having no luck with the run of the ball last couple of frames and his long potting has gone AWOL. Very important frame coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

9-8 Macklin!:eek: Although if there's any player that you'd fancy to pull this out of th ebag Selby would be high up on the list. This is gonna be tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

Brilliant, gripping match.

Feel a bit sorry for Selby with his run of luck. He seemed to pot the white every 2 minutes there for a while. Christmas Bloopers DVD run of luck, especially combined with Maflin fluking snookers every time he ballsed up a pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I've never seen a player as cursed as Selby in the last few frames. And like a previous poster said, he has a great style of play. Very attacking. But luck has been on his side and you need more than luck to get far in the crucible.

No sooner had I written that down and he hit those two howlers. If Selby doesn't win on this visit he doesn't deserve to..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

Great stuff. I was glued to it. Wouldn't usually be cribbin' if I miss a Selby match but there was great drama tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Gripping alright for a first round matxh. Can't see selby going too far this year. It wasn't just the lucky breaks that got maflin back in.

I liked the graph too, but there seemed to be a huge backlash on Twitter to it and after that they seemed to stop using it. I'm terrible at doing the maths so I found it very useful. I thought it was up a little too much in the first frame but if they could strike a better balance I would like for it to continue. But if they go by the feedback on Twitter we will never see it again!

I was wondering where it went. Most people watch snooker with one eye on something else. The graphic would allow you to know exactly where the frame is straight away.

Who would object to it? Bloody hardcore fans with nothing else to do on a Saturday but sit around and work out the maths. Fair play to bbc for the idea. Shame on those who objected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Bloody hardcore fans with nothing else to do on a Saturday but sit around and work out the maths.

There is not a lot to work out in fairness. 1 red, 2 reds, 3 reds, 4 reds etc is 35, 43, 51, 59, 67, 75 and so on. A glance and its known what is left without much maths.

No harm having displays of whats left and whats needed to win the frame too though.

Bruthal wrote: »
    There is not a lot to work out in fairness. 1 red, 2 reds, 3 reds, 4 reds etc is 35, 43, 51, 59, 67, 75 and so on. A glance and its known what is left without much maths.

No harm having displays of whats left and whats needed to win the frame too though.

Yeah fair enough it doesn't take Stephen Hawking but factor in a scoreline of odd numbers like 37-13 with reds left and I'd appreciate a graphic to tell me how many more the player needs.

but factor in a scoreline of odd numbers like 37-13 with reds left

One minus the other shouldnt be any more confusing whether odd or even I would have thought.

Bruthal wrote: »
    One minus the other shouldnt be any more confusing whether odd or even I would have thought.

I don't mean odd like odd and even. I mean not round numbers are more difficult to subtract at a glance.

I don't mean odd like odd and even. I mean not round numbers are more difficult to subtract at a glance.

If both players can still win, then its likely going to be at most a score in the 70s minus a lesser one, so not a complex calculation. Or, of one player gets to the late 70s or early 80s, they will have usually left the other player needing snookers. Although if it was a mad one like a break of all reds and yellows, it will be snookers required at 40-0, where as all reds and blacks, its snookers required at 73. So there is a variation alright.

It might take a few seconds, but after a while of doing it, frame ball becomes almost instinctively known.

But like i said, i dont mind any graphics etc showing whats needed. For most snooker fans though, its part of the viewing process, to know where the frame is as it progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

In the old days they only put up the scores every so often, where the scores are up there all the time now
    So you had to do a bit of carol vorderman maths while watching the snooker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Good win for Dott. Shame to see Ricky Walden exit early though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

whats the story with the thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

syngindub wrote: »
    whats the story with the thread title?
    Yes, are we really using a thread called "World Championship Qualifiers", to talk about the actual tournament, the biggest one of the year for Snooker?

This thread should be one of the most, if not THE most popular thread for this forum for the whole year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Can the moderator or someone start a new thread, this was one I started for the qualifiers!

Glenman wrote: »
    Can the moderator or someone start a new thread, this was one I started for the qualifiers!

You can start a new one yourself, or have the name of this one altered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Maybe if the moderator could change the name of this one to "World Championships 2015", that might be best. Then the qualifiers & the championships themselves would all be contained within the same thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Glenman wrote: »
    Maybe if the moderator could change the name of this one to "World Championships 2015", that might be best. Then the qualifiers & the championships themselves would all be contained within the same thread.

Just report your first post in the thread by clicking the red triangle beside the post, and explaining the thread title change you want. Any of the sports catmods will be able to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

will create a new thread before evening session tonight if not changed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I was wondering where it went. Most people watch snooker with one eye on something else. The graphic would allow you to know exactly where the frame is straight away.

Who would object to it? Bloody hardcore fans with nothing else to do on a Saturday but sit around and work out the maths. Fair play to bbc for the idea. Shame on those who objected

I certainly would have objected.

It was constantly there during the first match, made it look like a bloody computer game. Was far too intrusive and took focus off the table.

The normal graphic popping up at the bottom saying how far ahead the player is and what's left on the table or the commentators saying three more reds and colours to the snookers required stage is more than enough I think for people who aren't able or too lazy to work it out for themselves.

Advertisement