Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing a messaging app?

Options
  • 07-04-2015 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Not a techie myself but find this forum really interesting, insightful and helpful.

Anyway, I am looking into developing a messaging app that I think could have fairly broad applications, but I do have one specific use case in mind for it with a view to testing the concept post-launch. I am looking to see what is involved in developing this and I’m hoping it will be fairly straightforward especially as it will basically only have a few fairly basic (I think!) features - profiles, profile search, and messaging.

It will need to launch on both iOS and Android at the same time realistically.

This is how it would work in the context of two people who meet for the first time (User A and User B):

Short version

Users are identified by means of a unique code they select at sign up, when they create their profile.

Each user can message another user, once they know that user’s unique code. They can also save each other’s profile.

Detailed version (how it would work in real life):

1. User A downloads app.

2. At sign-up, User A is prompted to add a profile photo and choose a unique username.

3. Once chosen, User A taps to complete sign-up and their photo is displayed above their username.

4. User B downloads app and follows the same sign-up process.

5. User A gives User B their unique code.

6. User B enters User A’s code into search field on app home screen, and is shown User A’s profile. User B can tap to save User A’s profile and / or message User A.

7. User B taps ‘Message’ to send a message User A.

8. User A receives message, and they can tap on User B’s profile to view it.

Aside from this, a user can block another user, delete messages and remove a user’s profile from their saved list.

What I’m guessing is that there are sure to be open source messaging frameworks for iOS and Android that a developer could customise for something like this, and sure enough I just found this one: http://spikaapp.com

All thoughts welcome. My budget is limited, so I'd be looking to MVP it if possible. Then again realistically I know it has to look the part and actually work to stand a chance. I would have lots of ideas like these but the tricky part is bringing them to life without having to spend a packet!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

route9 wrote: »
    I just found this one: http://spikaapp.com

Slightly O/T but that was last updated 2 years ago according to their git repo.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

Graham wrote: »
    Slightly O/T but that was last updated 2 years ago according to their git repo.

Yikes, thanks! Any other comments / suggestions for me? All welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Is this a business idea?

Sounds just like most other messaging apps available, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram and any XMPP based chat applications.

If this is a learning project you want to do, them I'm all for it. Sounds like you've got the basic idea of what's needed.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Is this a business idea?

Sounds just like most other messaging apps available, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram and any XMPP based chat applications.

If this is a learning project you want to do, them I'm all for it. Sounds like you've got the basic idea of what's needed.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I have since refined the concept - well actually more come up with a new one entirely that is based around chat as opposed to messaging. So I guess this might involve something different code / development-wise.

Basically people would open the app and chat with others immediately. There is more to it which I will keep to myself, but I have a clear vision in mind for it. I've no doubt there are open source chat applications I could use, but guess I will need to look into it. Any pointers most appreciated. Again it would need to launch on both iOS and Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've developed a real-time app that works in the manner you are taking about but instead of people chatting, it's people exchanging photos, so images instead of text.

It's surprisingly easy to do using a mix of phonegap, signalr, cloud web service and Google notifications. I'm only interested in android but the notifications could be easily replaced by something like azure mobile services or others for cross platform notifications.

The notifications are only needed to deal with your app not being active otherwise a websocket library like signalr is sufficient for live chat.

• Advertisement

I've developed a real-time app that works in the manner you are taking about but instead of people chatting, it's people exchanging photos, so images instead of text.

It's surprisingly easy to do using a mix of phonegap, signalr, cloud web service and Google notifications. I'm only interested in android but the notifications could be easily replaced by something like azure mobile services or others for cross platform notifications.

The notifications are only needed to deal with your app not being active otherwise a websocket library like signalr is sufficient for live chat.

Cheers for that! I believe that what I am looking to build should be very simple using a combination of existing frameworks, as you mention. In fact, the concept is based off of one that was developed a couple of years back in the space of 11 hours!!

I have a web dev agency (not Irish) currently looking into it with a view to giving me some details on what would be involved and a ballpark cost, but I think they may come back with a quote that is still too high (for me) - and especially for the amount of work involved. So I am thinking that seeking out a co-founder who might be interested in building it could work...

Your app sounds interesting, and pretty similar aside from images vs. text alright! Is it strangers exchanging photos and how do you moderate the content...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My app isn't actually central to the purpose. It's actually only used for moderation so only a couple of people would use it.

Originally I had intended to have another separate app for consumers to share the original images but I came across an existing app that does what I want so I opted not to reinvent the wheel for that.

So my app uses the data provided by that. However I will probably bring out my own version of the third party app to ensure I can manage the data should the third party app change outside my control. Also that app already had an IOS that I didn't want to get into so my development also provided mobile web to effect the same.

I'd be curious about the costs you might find from even a non Irish Dev team. The basic technologies are straight forward but it's the polishing off that is the significant factor.

Advertisement