Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike serviced ,couple of questions

• 07-04-2015 5:39pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So i dropped the bike in to get a service today in prep for what i hope to be a summer of many cycles and sportives,i was expecting to need new chain atleast and maybe cassette.
    Turns out i needed a new bottom bracket ultegra,cassette 105 [went with 105 instead of ultegra to keep cost down] and chain.
    Cost me €170 in total ,the bike is only 10 months old so im wondering what sort of mileage i should be getting with these components?

When i bought the bike eurocycles sold to me as full ultegra yet the cassette was 105 and bottom bracket claris :eek:
    Ive clocked up maybe 5-7k kms in this time,is this wear and tear normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That does seem initially like excessive wear and tear to me, but that's a very odd set of components to be sold on one bike. Sounds like poor form from Eurocycles if they told you it was full Ultegra.

Anyway - Claris is bottom of the range, and in my limited experience the quality of that groupset is mixed. The shifters and derailleurs are pretty fine, but the brakes are noticeably inferior. I suspect that considering the BB is such an unassuming component, Shimano may have cut corners on it too. If it's the upper end of 5k - 7k mileage, that sounds about right to me. The Ultegra BB should last a lot longer.

As for the chain and cassette, wear and tear does sound premature. However, good mechanical practice says that cassettes and chains should be replaced at the same time. Brand new chains don't work as well as they should with older worn cassettes. However, it sounds like you knew something was wrong with the chain at 5k - 7k, which I would think of as being a little on the early side for replacing a 105 chain. Do you think you might have been under-maintaining or over-maintaining the chain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

From my entry level components I replaced them at about 6k, BB another 4k after that. So for 105 I would say you should get even more mileage from them if they were well maintained.

Since then, I bought a toolkit and replace these parts myself, its really quite easy with the help of youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭Zippe

Hey,

Are you sure it had Claris bb ? From what I know Claris bb is a bolt on crankset, sora,tiagra,105,ultegra,dura-ace chain sets are hollow-Tec bb's, tiagra and 105 cassettes are a common part to see with a kmc or tiagra chain, I myself would have changed these parts at this stage anyway, I change my chain at 1000 to 1500kms, if you don't keep the chain/cassette clean and oiled well (not over oiled) it will ware more,if to much oil more dirt will stick to it also and not good for it, I don't know anything about the shop you got the bike from but I don't think you can fault them for it, yes the sales man should have pointed out the mix of parts but a mix of parts like this a common thing now on bikes to keep cost down (and profit up)

Cheers zip,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Zippe wrote: »
    Hey,

Are you sure it had Claris bb ? From what I know Claris bb is a bolt on crankset, sora,tiagra,105,ultegra,dura-ace chain sets are hollow-Tec bb's, tiagra and 105 cassettes are a common part to see with a kmc or tiagra chain, I myself would have changed these parts at this stage anyway, I change my chain at 1000 to 1500kms, if you don't keep the chain/cassette clean and oiled well (not over oiled) it will ware more,if to much oil more dirt will stick to it also and not good for it, I don't know anything about the shop you got the bike from but I don't think you can fault them for it, yes the sales man should have pointed out the mix of parts but a mix of parts like this a common thing now on bikes to keep cost down (and profit up)

Cheers zip,

Yeah Claris is an octalink bb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks guys,
    @ darkglasses i may have over-maintained the chain if anything used wd40 quite a bit probably shouldnt have?
    Got a recommended lubrication from the guys in Bikology in Naas today so that should help in the future.
    Either way i felt the chain needed to be changed at around the 6-7k mark,may have read it here or elsewhere.
    @Zippe the guy in Bikology said it was a claris anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-105-5800-11sp-cassette-chain-bundle/rp-prod126502

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-ultegra-6800-bottom-bracket/rp-prod108701

Buy a chain tool, cassette tools for about 30 and do yourself. It's not difficult. Also buy a tool to check wear.

Without being too precious easy enough to get 5k out of a chain and 15k from a cassette. At least double that from chainset.

If running 10 speed just run tiagra, just as durable.

Advertisement