Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Egan

Options
  • 07-04-2015 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

How does he get away with it?

Surely there is a quota on how many 'interviews' of Gerard Keane / Lisa Murphy and Virginia Macari he can do in a year???

Is this what celebrity is in Ireland??

Read the Sindo for the first time in ages this weekend and there it was again, does he just cut and paste this stuff??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

That guy is the reason I stopped reading the Sunday Indo years ago. He thinks he's some kind of Irish "socialite", and the smug scribbles of rubbing shoulders with "Irish celebrities" is just sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Who? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Who? :confused:

Ginger long haired guy, writes utter garbage for the Sunday Indo. Common symptoms of reading his work includes vomiting and the desire to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Barry Egan has been a yeoman on the front line of showbiz reportage for 25 years, he has put in the hours, all hours in arduous conditions while your sleep soundly in your beds.

You simply don't deserve him! :pac:

Barry Egan is one of the best educated, most generous, friendliest, big hearted, witty, wealthy, good looking, well read and travelled people you would ever wish to meet, with the widest circle of famous and influential friends in the whole wide World, including Gerald Keane - in the opinion of Barry Egan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Heroditas

An incredibly rude and unpleasant man unless you're a Z Lister

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Read the Sindo for the first time in ages this weekend
    There's your problem !

Barry Egan is awstruck by the likes of Gerald Keane, Lisa Murphy, Morah Ryan, Alison Doody etc etc etc.
    He's boring and repetitive writing and shows what a small pool of celebrity there is in this country if he just recycles the same hash week in week out. Either that or he is lazy.

(When Terry Keane left he took over from her and began using the exact phrases SHE coined in her time......the 2 most noteable being "but I digress" and "deep throat")

He is also the main reason I no longer read the Sindo.

But the magazine part of it is equally as bad. Sick of looking at airbrushed photoshoots of Miriam O Callaghan every Summer before her show begins on RTE, Rosanna Davidson, Kathryn Thomas.......same old same old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A no mark writing about no marks in a paper bought by no marks.

(When Terry Keane left he took over from her and began using the exact phrases SHE coined in her time......the 2 most noteable being "but I digress" and "deep throat")

But the magazine part of it is equally as bad. Sick of looking at airbrushed photoshoots of Miriam O Callaghan every Summer before her show begins on RTE, Rosanna Davidson, Kathryn Thomas.......same old same old.

I believe he started writing in her place long before she left, Sweetie.

• Advertisement

I believe he started writing in her place long before she left, Sweetie.

either way he used her exact phrases ;);)

either way he used her exact phrases ;);)

And is still stuck in the 80's rut!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Barry Egan is awstruck by the likes of Gerald Keane, Lisa Murphy, Morah Ryan, Alison Doody etc etc etc.
    He's boring and repetitive writing and shows what a small pool of celebrity there is in this country if he just recycles the same hash week in week out. Either that or he is lazy.

great, now i have the words Terry Keane and deep throat in my head at the same time. Its mind bleach time again i fear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

When Terry Keane left wasn't it revealed that she didn't even write the bloody thing?Probably the same with Egan.

darkdubh wrote: »
    When Terry Keane left wasn't it revealed that she didn't even write the bloody thing?Probably the same with Egan.

"Write" is such a strong word.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Surely there is a quota on how many 'interviews' of Gerard Keane / Lisa Murphy and Virginia Macari he can do in a year???

Is this what celebrity is in Ireland??

Read the Sindo for the first time in ages this weekend and there it was again, does he just cut and paste this stuff??

Can anyone explain to me what Virgina Macarri is famous for in the first place?All I know of her is that she used to be on Podge & Rodge and is (presumably) related to the crowd who run the chippers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Bobby Jones

Terry Keane...deep throat

That woman's only deep throats were in Kinsealy and Inishvickillane.

Egan's bile is symptomatic of everything that is wrong with this country. He spent years glorifying Virginia Macari, her Scandanavian beau and their kid...now look where yer man is! I don't even know who she is - Is she something to do with the chippers?

That woman's only deep throats were in Kinsealy and Inishvickillane.

Egan's bile is symptomatic of everything that is wrong with this country. He spent years glorifying Virginia Macari, her Scandanavian beau and their kid...now look where yer man is! I don't even know who she is - Is she something to do with the chippers?

still glorifying them in today's Sunday info mag.......her new swimwear range being launched in Saint Tropez, Marbella et al !!

FFS what an idiot!! Barry Egan is so out of touch (as is his ginger/grey straggly hairstyle)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

still glorifying them in today's Sunday info mag.......her new swimwear range being launched in Saint Tropez, Marbella et al !!

FFS what an idiot!! Barry Egan is so out of touch (as is his ginger/grey straggly hairstyle)
    She is probably more in the news now for her convicted drug smuggler husband(whos name escapes me now because he uses several alias) more recent criminal trials where he has being convicted but Barry still thinks they are fabulous and part of Irish society royalty.

Shows you what the SI is all about when you see spreads lauding these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Can anyone explain to me what Virgina Macarri is famous for in the first place?All I know of her is that she used to be on Podge & Rodge and is (presumably) related to the crowd who run the chippers.

Maybe he just really really likes those chips??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I've no idea how anybody could put their name to such drivel. It wouldn't surprise me if all the staff took turns in writing it, just for kicks. Je Suis Terry / Barry.

Absolutely no idea, see her name all over it but never bother to read the articles. Stuff like that really demeans the credibility of the (S)indo. For all its faults it does have some really good writers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

jungleman wrote: »
    That guy is the reason I stopped reading the Sunday Indo years ago.

To be honest, I can think of at least half-dozen reasons why the Sindo is objectionable to me, most of them higher on the list than the floppy haired scamp Egan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

She isn't the only scion of a chipper family to gravitate to official Sindo-endorsed Oirish celeb status, there's also socialite and former top model (TM) Bernie Cafolla.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

porsche959 wrote: »
    She isn't the only scion of a chipper family to gravitate to official Sindo-endorsed Oirish celeb status, there's also socialite and former top model (TM) Bernie Cafolla.

I can honestly say I've never heard of her.I'm guessing shes married or engaged to some businessman and "socialite" I've never heard of either.Am I getting warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I can honestly say I've never heard of her.I'm guessing shes married or engaged to some businessman and "socialite" I've never heard of either.Am I getting warm?

Can't believe I even looked this up!!! The below is from her Drunk driving case (thrown out as garda didn't show up) as reported in the Indo

Ms Cafolla is a sister of one-time boss of Lillie's Bordello nightclub and now PR guru Valerie Roe and singer Patricia Roe, as well as Gillian Quinn, the wife of former Ireland football player Niall Quinn.
    Ms Cafolla separated from her husband Lorenzo after nearly 25 years of marriage last year. The couple have two adult sons and a teenage daughter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Can't believe I even looked this up!!! The below is from her Drunk driving case (thrown out as garda didn't show up) as reported in the Indo

Ms Cafolla is a sister of one-time boss of Lillie's Bordello nightclub and now PR guru Valerie Roe and singer Patricia Roe, as well as Gillian Quinn, the wife of former Ireland football player Niall Quinn.
    Ms Cafolla separated from her husband Lorenzo after nearly 25 years of marriage last year. The couple have two adult sons and a teenage daughter

I often think the Sindo lifestyle section is soley aimed at a handful of nightclub owners,ex models,Leinster rugby players and their extended family who all live in South Dublin.How could this woman possibly be of any interest to anyone who dosen't know her personaly.

I often think the Sindo lifestyle section is soley aimed at a handful of nightclub owners,ex models,Leinster rugby players and their extended family who all live in South Dublin.How could this woman possibly be of any interest to anyone who dosen't know her personaly.

are you sure she is even of interest to those who do know her?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Good god

What is wrong with this man?, what is wrong with the independent editors?, how does he get paid for this?

do you ever notice everyone is "jetting " off somewhere... or they just "jetted" to Marbella or wherever the hell they're going.

I mean WTF....... we live on an island....how else do you get off it?????
    It is so passe to be going on about jetting here and there. FFS we all do it...some of us even have to "jet" to work in the UK these days. Get over it!

He makes me want to weep :-( :-(

• Advertisement

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Good god

What is wrong with this man?, what is wrong with the independent editors?, how does he get paid for this?

Oh, Thank You, Lord. Now we'll have something to read for the next 2 weeks, before they break up again.:rolleyes:

Advertisement