Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programs s gone off PC

Options
  • 07-04-2015 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

So I start up my PC and all my desktop icons are gone!

I look in start menu and see them there but when I click a folder its empty Check my program list and all are still there??

What the heck happened...tried a restore but not working!!

Running windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Right click on your desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

Sounds like it could be a problem with your profile. Have a look in c:\users and see if there's a user folder with temp in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Right click on your desktop

Tried that first....even the location folders are empty!
    bluferbl wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be a problem with your profile. Have a look in c:\users and see if there's a user folder with temp in the name.

Same as all the other folders, its there but empty. Strange thing is I can log off and on no problem and the PC is running fine bar all the missing programs!

Looks like I'll have to re-install windows 7 :confused:

Is your data still there?

Is your data still there?

All my pics, music, downloads are still there!

Browsers are gone off the desktop and task bar but they work from the location folders!

• Advertisement

Just to go back a step, you said "Same as all the other folders, its there but empty."

Is there a folder in c:\users called KwackerJack (if you were using that user name) and another folder called something like KwackerJack.temp?

Just to go back a step, you said "Same as all the other folders, its there but empty."

Is there a folder in c:\users called KwackerJack (if you were using that user name) and another folder called something like KwackerJack.temp?

Just one folder with a lock symbol....I can see all the other folders contained but there empty!

If I cant sort it soon ill re-install as I have an online exam on saturday

Just one folder with a lock symbol....I can see all the other folders contained but there empty!

I think I'd do the same...nuke and pave! I'd also run a chkdsk to make sure the drive is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Make sure you backup your data first ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I really don't think you'll need to re-install windows. Is it possible you could have just accidentally deleted'em? Or someone else on the PC?

After all they are just shortcuts. Create new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

run Malwarebytes just make sure ransomware isn't installed

mordeith wrote: »
    Make sure you backup your data first ;-)

Oh i did :)
    I really don't think you'll need to re-install windows. Is it possible you could have just accidentally deleted'em? Or someone else on the PC?

Nope, no shortcuts all direct links! Checked everywhere and im the only person on the PC as I live alone.

After all they are just shortcuts. Create new ones.
    Skerries wrote: »
    run Malwarebytes just make sure ransomware isn't installed

I ran malware and it found a few things but nothing major, still no change! I ended up re-installing and sent an email to Microsoft just to see if they know anything.

Advertisement