Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Unwanted Bees!

Options
  • 07-04-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Over the past few days with the warm weather, we have noticed that bees appear to be "sunbathing" on the side of our new house. At worst I counted over a dozen, spread out randomly and they only appear when the house is warm, late afternoon. I have observed them, I do not know what type of bee they are and they seem happy enough just basking in sunshine. They are not swarming around a certain area either. Some come and go and they have not gone near plants or for example washing on my clothes line and much to my alarm, they have even flown straight by me to land high on the house wall. The house is 2 storey and they are always well above the ground floor level.
    I am really concerned as I am allergic to bee stings and get real sick if stung. As a result of this I am terrified of them and will never open a window or door if I think bees/wasps are around.
    If anyone could suggest anything I could spray on our wall to deter them, I would be so grateful. The best I can describe the wall is that it is plastered with a stippled effect and painted. The house is semi detached and I saw no bees on next doors wall either? It's so strange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

These are probably solitary bees, they have no interest in humans and will not sting unless really provoked, they're very important in the ecosystem, enjoy their company, if you can:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

rje66 wrote: »
    These are probably solitary bees, they have no interest in humans and will not sting unless really provoked, they're very important in the ecosystem, enjoy their company, if you can:D:D

Thank you for your reply rje, you are probably right in what you say. I observed them again yesterday aftrenoon and when they leave, they just go out high into the sky so at least I am satisfied that they are not getting into the house itself. Am still terrified though!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

We need more bees ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Do you have an EpiPen from your doctor in case you need it? The bees you mentioned have no interest in stinging you and shouldn't be a cause for alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

bmm wrote: »
    We need more bees ...

qrLEV.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any chance you could take a picture of the bees? A lot of bee species aren't even capable of stinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Had a similar problem last year. A large swarm of bees gathered on a tree outside the back door. The swarm on the tree was aboout the size of 2 footballs approx. Got local beekeeper in who managed to get the queen isolated and brought back to his hive. Bees moved on then over a few days.
    Amazing some of the things he was saving about the bees behaviour.

kylith wrote: »
    Any chance you could take a picture of the bees? A lot of bee species aren't even capable of stinging.

They are really high up the wall, at 2nd storey level and I am too scared to get closer to them anyway. Pardon my ignorance but they are not the furry type that's black and yellow. They are chunky little feckers about the size of a 2 euro coin, very dark in colour against cream paint on the wall. They resemble a cockroach but they fly and buzz like bees. That said, I have done nothing but observe them and when I got home tonight [still hot and sunny 17 degrees] there was only one there, so am hoping I was worried about nothing!

Effects wrote: »
    Do you have an EpiPen from your doctor in case you need it? The bees you mentioned have no interest in stinging you and shouldn't be a cause for alarm.

Will look into the Epipen, Thank you for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

whatswhat wrote: »
    They resemble a cockroach but they fly and buzz like bees.

They sound nothing like bees to be honest. If you are allergic to bee stings you should identify what bees look like that are most likely to cause you to have a reaction. Talking to your doctor about getting an EpiPen sounds like it's more a priority than getting rid of whatever is flying about your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

rje66 wrote: »
    These are probably solitary bees,

mason bees perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

There's a beekeeping forum on here if you'd like any more help/advice
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1633

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

It's a bit early for them but they could be Cockchafers if they are very beetle like.

They make a buzzing sound but are more brown than black. The warm weather might have brought them out early and the might use the wall heat to keep themselves mobile.

Thank you all for the advice, I am getting clued up!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

whatswhat wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice, I am getting clued up!

Post a picture if you can. Get someone else to take it if you're worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have noticed quite a few big bruiser bees around the last few hot days, real brutes.

Harmless though, wish I could convince my kids of that fact.

lk67 wrote: »
    Post a picture if you can. Get someone else to take it if you're worried!

Thank you, I will do that if they do come back. Since its dropped cold, there is nothing to be seen at all now. Will see what the summer brings!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have noticed quite a few big bruiser bees around the last few hot days, real brutes.
    probably queens scouting for a nest?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bubble bees

Advertisement