Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How are you preparing....

• 07-04-2015 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭

....for a world without rashers?

I watched Zombie land last night. I know, wrong forum, but it got me thinking. Yer man chasing down that last box of twinkies.

Rashers and Superquinn sausages would be my twinkies.

I need a solar powered deep freezer array, stocked fully with dead pig. I now have direction in my prepping life.

I feel like I've taken a giant leap forwards.

What is your twinky equivalent and how are you preparing for a world without them?

Forget the ammo and bunkers. This stuff is serious!

;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I'm in the middle of RUNNING my chest freezer on solar or hopefully small wind turbines. At the moment I have it running off 2 deep cell 12v batteries that are recharged by mains they last about 3 days without charge hoping the wind turbines work to keep them topped up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Rashers and Superquinn sausages would be my twinkies.

At least you won't need to stock up on salt tablets :pac:

I've thought about this a few times and tbh a decent loaf of bread would be top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lostboy75

ShadowFox wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of ruining my chest freezer
    interesting typo there, hopefully its not prophetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

I'm in the middle of ruining my chest freezer on solar or hopefully small wind turbines. At the moment I have it running off 2 deep cell 12v batteries that are recharged by mains they last about 3 days without charge hoping the wind turbines work to keep them topped up

Hi there - just out of interest what sort of wind turbines are you using?

Hi there - just out of interest what sort of wind turbines are you using?

I haven't got one yet due to price but this is the type I'm hoping to set up Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161645936607&alt=web

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

I haven't got one yet due to price but this is the type I'm hoping to set up Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161645936607&alt=web

Interesting - would 30Watts be enough to power a freezer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

If your 30watts is being generated continuously it might power a small chest freezer. They use about 100-150w while running but most of the time they're off.

Also the inverter you'd need would bring it up to about 45W, unless you manage to find a very efficient 12V freezer and there wouldn't be many of them. It's even hard to source a A+++ rated one in Ireland, the Germans and teh Swiss tend to shovel us the dog sh1t and keep the best for themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I would be wary of relying on a darrius turbine to keep my food safe. It's some years since I did turbine design but they have super poor self starting characteristics and don't handle choppy air well.
    I'd take/make a savonis based turbine over one of them.

And as for a 30w freezer, it doesn't need 30 All the time. It can charge a battery bank for supplying higher current than available from the turbine.
    The motor only runs when the temperature is over a set point. Worst case is you need to insulate the freezer with extra foam/hay/blankets to space out the cooling cycle to what the turbine can trickle into the batteries

Sorry for the late reply been up to my eyes . At the moment I have the chest freezer running off 2 deep cell 12v batteries which are recharged by mains power I hope to replace the mains power with the wind turbine to charge the batteries so hoping 30watts will be enough or by the time I have the cash I can get a higher wattage one

Advertisement