Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenSparkz - already dead in the water?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Firstly 'Yob' .. I don't know where your getting your 65% increase from .. a difference between 700,000 and 1,000,000 is 300,000 which works out at about a 43% increase !

It could well see an increase of 43% within 2 to 3 years ... which isn't necessarily a reflection of how 'property values in Mayo' will go per say ... but a reflection on this particular 'property deal' which I understand has seriously undervalued the property in the first place !

The main mover and shaker' on this 'deal / proposal' came about supposedly between a chance meeting by 'Cyril Burke' (Mayo FG Co. Councillor and brother of Sen Paddy Burke), and the main people behind Opensparkz (which is only in existence as a Limited Co. since February of this year). This is the same Cyril Burke who is also a Director of Western Premier Properties (estate Agents in Castlebar). It was he who initially proposed for Mayo County Council to buy it in the first place .. when all along he seems to have been in discussion with Opensparkz directors ??? .. so why didn't they (Opensparkz) buy it themselves at an even lower price ??

Mayo Co. Co. took the bait and bought it for 610,000 and then arranged to sell it on for 700,000 to Opensparkz, with the 'buy back clause' inserted ! In my opinion this is all a bit Odd !

I'll take it that Yob was a typo.
    You were the one to state "Mayo County Council and its Rate Payers will have been 'turned over' for almost 400,000 ", so thats where the % comes from.

Its all speculation on what it is worth, true value and what people think are 2 different things. So I think more likely a 10% increase in more realistic based on the property growth in the county in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

yop wrote: »
    I'll take it that Yob was a typo.
    You were the one to state "Mayo County Council and its Rate Payers will have been 'turned over' for almost 400,000 ", so thats where the % comes from.

Its all speculation on what it is worth, true value and what people think are 2 different things. So I think more likely a 10% increase in more realistic based on the property growth in the county in the last 5 years.

Hi there 'Yop' .. yes indeed .. it was a typo .. apologies ..

I was trying to get across the difference on what Mayo Co Co paid (610,000) versus what Opensparkz have supposedly paid (700,000) ... and what I suspect the premises could be worth in a couple of years, and why did Mayo County Council have to get involved in the 'purchase' in the first place ? when there seemed to be a perfectly good 'buyer' in Opensparkz before MCC got involved.

**Don't post anything like that again please. Won't be warned again **

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Seen a buck doing a bit of strimming along the road there they other day. The hundreds of jobs should be rolling in any minute now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Seen a buck doing a bit of strimming along the road there they other day. The hundreds of jobs should be rolling in any minute now.

Just like the huge employment northgate have brought.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Just like the huge employment northgate have brought.

We'll have to build more houses

• Advertisement

**Don't post anything like that again please. Won't be warned again **[/QUOTE]

What may I ask does ths 'Warning' mean or refer to ? If it was me making a typing error in his / her 'user name' .. it was a genuine 'typo error' .. nothing else .. so in my view this 'Warning' is a bit 'OTT' ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

**Don't post anything like that again please. Won't be warned again **

What may I ask does ths 'Warning' mean or refer to ? If it was me making a typing error in his / her 'user name' .. it was a genuine 'typo error' .. nothing else .. so in my view this 'Warning' is a bit 'OTT' ?[/QUOTE]

It wasn't about a username, it implied corruption, warning wasn't OTT, in fact it was light handed.

It wasn't about a username, it implied corruption, warning wasn't OTT, in fact it was light handed. [/QUOTE]

To state the facts as they are presented by the parties themselves .. and question the 'Value' or otherwise of any deal .. is hardly an accusation of 'Corruption .. 'Implied' or otherwise.

It hard to understand the sequence of events that was given to the media on how the whole project came about and then the decision to locate such a project in Castlebar is justifiably questionable in itself !

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Serjeant Buzfuz

To say it's already dead in the water would be to imply that it ever started...

Opensparx Opensparx where for art thou Opensparx?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Serjeant Buzfuz

To say it's already dead in the water would be to imply that it ever started...

No more news?

No more news?

the council meeting was today so maybe something might come out this week if the matter was raised.

The agenda states mayo co co cant vary the LPT therefore so we wont be getting a LPT reduction for 2016.

Apparently Opensparx is all going according to plan. Cyril Burke is optimistic no less. Read it in the Connaught so it must be true

Apparently Opensparx is all going according to plan. Cyril Burke is optimistic no less. Read it in the Connaught so it must be true

so was northgate and thats created a huge employment of 5 a huge 3% of the jobs promised.

so was northgate and thats created a huge employment of 5 a huge 3% of the jobs promised.

Stop telling lies Irishgeo, understating the wonderful job opportunities fetooned on us by our Taoiseach and this wonderful FG government.......6 jobs have been created :)

yop wrote:
    Stop telling lies Irishgeo, understating the wonderful job opportunities fetooned on us by our Taoiseach and this wonderful FG government.......6 jobs have been created

4% of the total

yop wrote: »
    Stop telling lies Irishgeo, understating the wonderful job opportunities fetooned on us by our Taoiseach and this wonderful FG government.......6 jobs have been created :)

I think you should revise that back to 5 as it would appear that Ms Suzanne Antwoon, who was supposedly appointed as "Ireland Services Coordinator" last February, has remained with her previous employers in Tuam (SalesSense International), and to be honest .. when a "Jobs Announcement" is made these days it always gives the impression that these are "NEW JOBS" when in reality they are jobs for people moving from existing employment elsewhere, whose positions might not be refilled or were going to end due to other Job Losses !

I think you should revise that back to 5 as it would appear that Ms Suzanne Antwoon, who was supposedly appointed as "Ireland Services Coordinator" last February, has remained with her previous employers in Tuam (SalesSense International), and to be honest .. when a "Jobs Announcement" is made these days it always gives the impression that these are "NEW JOBS" when in reality they are jobs for people moving from existing employment elsewhere, whose positions might not be refilled or were going to end due to other Job Losses !

an article last week said northgate had employed 10.

an article last week said northgate had employed 10.

Yeah .. saw that .. but I'd take it with a pinch of salt ... the same article said they had moved into their New premises (Old Eircom Depot) .. yet its still covered in cobwebs ..it was also stated by Northgate themselves that they would NOT be increasing their workforce in Castlebar unless they managed to get further Contracts (sounds like a form of coercion to me ??)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yeah .. saw that .. but I'd take it with a pinch of salt ... the same article said they had moved into their New premises (Old Eircom Depot) .. yet its still covered in cobwebs ..it was also stated by Northgate themselves that they would NOT be increasing their workforce in Castlebar unless they managed to get further Contracts (sounds like a form of coercion to me ??)

Contracts that they do not have a division in anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They should of had everyone employed 18 months ago, the CEO is still going through a lot of legal wranglings with investors, a lot have pulled out since the original announcement.

Xenji wrote: »
    They should of had everyone employed 18 months ago, the CEO is still going through a lot of legal wranglings with investors, a lot have pulled out since the original announcement.

I remain sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I remain sceptical.

Lads, it will all be grand. Keep saying that until close of poll on Friday:).

Whinging may then resume

nuac wrote: »

Whinging may then resume

lol very true! :)

Its incredible we've had so many new jobs.
    What I have to laugh at is in the Connuaght Telegraph we have a statement that FG have created 35% of the job outside Dublin in Mayo!!! If anyone gets a chance read that and make sure I have got that right.

Didn't see numbers on that OpenSparkz with regards the number of jobs.
    The 10 jobs in BMI is really 4 as they have 6 already. I'd wonder how many will be scambridge like some of the other job announcements in Mayo over the last few years.

Whinging may then resume
    the "whinger" won a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

the whinger won a seat

The winner of the former FG seat was Lisa Chambers of FF. A highly qualified self employed barrister working in the Western Circuit ( Mayo and Galway )
    As she has achieved a lot so far in her 29 years I doubt if she would have had the time or inclination for whinging.

The remark cost FG some votes. Their expensive PR suits made it worse with cackhanded "clarifications"

The winner of the former FG seat was Lisa Chambers of FF. I doubt if she would have had the time or inclination to do any whinging.

it was on video/radio

at 40seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WestNewPort

Has anyone heard anything about this recently?

I see there is very little activity over there anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Has anyone heard anything about this recently?

I see there is very little activity over there anyway..

Signs for TimKelly Group went up there a few weeks ago, I assume they are doing work in there with electrics or some such thing.

It's been tidied up and pained inside but not a lot else as far as I can see.

The whole idea behind it is preposterous.

Advertisement