Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-sleeving

Options
  • 07-04-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭

Folks, has anyone ever had a resleeving job done on side by side ? I've seen a lovely English gun for very small money but the barrels are in absolute ****e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Folks, has anyone ever had a resleeving job done on side by side ? I've seen a lovely English gun for very small money but the barrels are in absolute ****e.

Are you talking about the neoprene sleeves like camo type of stuff?
    I got them for me baikal last year and it looked cool for about a day so just cleaned the Shiite out the gun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Are you talking about the neoprene sleeves like camo type of stuff?
    I got them for me baikal last year and it looked cool for about a day so just cleaned the Shiite out the gun

Not really. The resleeving I'm on about is basically getting rid of knackered barrels but keeping chambers and locking mechanism where the new barrels are attached. Prices seem to be wildly variable when mooching around on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

teague chokes in the uk

.243 wrote: »
    teague chokes in the uk

I'll have a look. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

+1 on Teague. They do a great job, you will need to apply for an export licence though and also the carriage over and back is expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Steve

Toby Barclay at Heritage Guns in the UK does very good work, as does John Foster.

http://www.johnfostergunmaker.co.uk/
    http://www.heritageguns.co.uk

Thanks folks but it looks like I'll have to give this a miss. Sleeving job appears prohibitively expensive. When all added up similar guns in good condition can be bought for about the same cost as the one I seen plus work and shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It's a great idea if you have an heirloom gun that you just have to keep in shooting condition, but if it is not that kind of a gun, and talking to somebody here who does it, he opines that the work should be cost-effective only if the gun is worth eight to ten times the cost of the sleeving.

That lets out about 90% of all the guns we commonly encounter, I'd say.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    It's a great idea if you have an heirloom gun that you just have to keep in shooting condition, but if it is not that kind of a gun, and talking to somebody here who does it, he opines that the work should be cost-effective only if the gun is worth eight to ten times the cost of the sleeving.

That lets out about 90% of all the guns we commonly encounter, I'd say.

tac

That pretty much summarises it. I was looking at a Churchill s/s that would have been essentially a few hundred for the action and woodwork but barrels completely destroyed with deep pitting in forcing cones area. Spoke to a gunsmith who confirmed that it's technically a perfect solution but not making much economical sense.

Steve
    A Churchill side lock ejector or a box lock?

• Advertisement

Steve
    A Churchill side lock ejector or a box lock?

XXV box lock

They are a very well balanced, lively gun to be sure and I see them on the market for €2,000. - 3000.00 with a lot of life left in them. In pristine condition €5000.00 and up is not unheard of.

As you know a TIG weld sleeving job will run €2,000 - 3000.

Think I found a better price for the sleeving job through an Irish gunsmith but it'll still leave me north of 2k in total to have a serviceable gun. Extremely balanced and manoeuvrable gun alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

Think I found a better price for the sleeving job through an Irish gunsmith but it'll still leave me north of 2k in total to have a serviceable gun. Extremely balanced and manoeuvrable gun alright.

Can you pass me on his details,im looking for someone to replace a hinge pin on a browning trap

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

If you go ahead with this project you should weigh the gun before work commences and stipulate that it should come back weighing the same.

Re sleeved shotguns frequently have very thick barrels on them which will alter the original balance.

Advertisement