Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavelier king charles

• 07-04-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi I have 2 Caveliers King Charles. ! is 5 years old and 1 is just 1. My problem is when I take the 2 of them walking , the 1 year old screeches with excitement for first 10 min of walk. All people passing us think I am hurting dog , as his screeching so bad. Is there anything I can do to stop him. This dog is a very slow Lerner.

Thanking You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

How often do you take them out during the week? I can imagine walks are off-putting for you.

When I didn't take my boys out as often as I do now, they used to go utter nutzo before and during the beginning of the walk. Little and often might be the key.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

VonVix wrote: »
    How often do you take them out during the week? I can imagine walks are off-putting for you.

When I didn't take my boys out as often as I do now, they used to go utter nutzo before and during the beginning of the walk. Little and often might be the key.

That seems to make sense as I take then out every second day for about 4 miles if weather allows me. However its been week now since they out, what with bad weather and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    That seems to make sense as I take then out every second day for about 4 miles if weather allows me. However its been week now since they out, what with bad weather and all

What's stopping you walking them if weather is bad? It's only a bit of rain??
    Dogs need to be walked everyday. It's not fair to have them cooped up for a week. No wonder they are going mad to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Your 1 year old might be seeing walks as a treat, rather than a regular enjoyable event.

You don't have to be taking them out 6 times a day for 2 hour walks at a time for there to be an effect. Try four 20 minute outings spread evenly during the day (every day!). Maybe if your lil one is squealing with excitement try walking faster for a minute or two. I'm visualising here a cavalier pulling hard on the lead with excitement trying to get where he wants to go. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

andreac wrote: »
    What's stopping you walking them if weather is bad? It's only a bit of rain??
    Dogs need to be walked everyday. It's not fair to have them cooped up for a week. No wonder they are going mad to get out.

I see with my two, as there legs are so short , they get soaked with in min. This results in washing them when they get home and my vet told me its not good to wash them too often as I am washing oil from there fur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I see with my two, as there legs are so short , they get soaked with in min. This results in washing them when they get home and my vet told me its not good to wash them too often as I am washing oil from there fur

Would you not just get them raincoats? I put coats on my retrievers to stop their tummies getting soaked and mucky. Hell I even put a tshirt on the poo roller in the mornings to save me having to wash her down and being late for work :p

I have 2 of these ones - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_clothing/waterproof/274291

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

But you don't need to wash them every time? Just dry them with a towel. You can't not walk them because it's raining. If it rains for a month does that mean they don't get walked for a month?

Hail rain or shine mine are out for walks and we get wet,mucky etc but it has to be done.

tk123 wrote: »
    Would you not just get them raincoats? I put coats on my retrievers to stop their tummies getting soaked and mucky. Hell I even put a tshirt on the poo roller in the mornings to save me having to wash her down and being late for work :p

I have 2 of these ones - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_clothing/waterproof/274291

I seem to be coming across as been very bad but I am far from it. Yes I do put jackets on them when walking in rain but as I go good distance the rain soaks in, plus as cavaliers have vary furry legs they get soaked and it goes up to there chest

I seem to be coming across as been very bad but I am far from it. Yes I do put jackets on them when walking in rain but as I go good distance the rain soaks in, plus as cavaliers have vary furry legs they get soaked and it goes up to there chest

Ah no I wasn't trying to give out to you!! I take my two for an off lead walk in the mornings for about 45 mins and an on lead walk in the evenings for another 30-40 mins. They'll go out in all weather in the mornings.. But If the weather's bad in the evenings they don't want to go out at all and are miserable on the walk so now we stay in and do training which they love and it exhausts them. So I don't think theres one rule for all dogs saying they need to go out twice a day in all weathers - it depends on the individual dogs.

These coats don't let the water soak in and no padding either so it doesn't sweat them on long walks - I find the cover really good. Their legs do get wet but chest/tummy/backs stay nice and dry. I had one before that soaked up water and there was puddles of water coming out of them drowning the place!
    I have fleece jumpers for them too to put on after they've been swimming and again they cover their chest and front legs and dry them nicely. They LOVE them and go asleep when they have them on lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My dog HATES rain and won't walk in it! If he's caught, then he trudges along looking throughly miserable. I almost have to drag him home.

He has a nice unlined raincoat that keeps the rain and mud off, bur doesn't make him too hot. Maybe that might do the trick?

Something like this perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They're spaniels, a companion spaniel but a spaniel none the less; they're designed to work in and around water. Getting damp legs and bellies won't do them any harm, just give them a rub with a towel and have somewhere comfortable for them to lie when they get home; I use a microfibre bathmat from Ikea. The dogs love to roll around on them when they're wet. One of mine (I've terriers) insists on paddling in any bodies of water we find too so she's wet just about every day of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

My king charles is 11 and still goes for a walk twice a day whatever the weather. I keep his coat short but when its a bit longer i just dry him with a towel and put another one under him on the couch. Considering the health problems they are prone to it's very important to keep them fit and it also keeps their weight down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

When I dog sit for people who live nearby, taking their 2 dogs out is hilarious - they bark/shriek with excitement for about 5 mins, with my lot joining in with the barking - insane!

The reason their 2 dogs go nuts setting out on the walk, is that they are so excited - their owners work full time, and never bring them out for a walk. When I dog sit I bring them every day. By the end of the week the novelty has started to wear off, if I walk them around the house or up/down the driveway, the nuttiness wears off before we go out of the property.

So, OP definately, I would start walking your two every day. Even if its raining, just for a 15 min walk. When you get back, if its wet, leave two towels inside the door. Dog one up on his hind legs with you supporting his chest, give him a really vigourous rub down with one of those micro towels, then do dog two. Its only their undercarriage and legs that are wet if they are wearing coats.

Now that the good weather is here, get them going every day. If necessary you could bring them for little walks morning/evening. As long as they get out every day, the novelty will be lessened, and the young one will calm down (plus the exercise and boredom-relief will do them a world of good )

Hi thanks for all the great advice. Mt wife had young guy out today on his own and she said he was a pleasure. When I got home we took both of them and young guy back screeching again. I think he wants to get every where before older one

:D I know it's probably embarrassing you/wrecking your head but it sounds so funny lol!! :D

Advertisement