Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should same criteria be applied for neighbours ?

Options
  • 07-04-2015 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

A friend of mine has got his .22 pistol licence last month. He didn't need a car safe, in fact it went through in 6 weeks. Mines in 4 weeks now , can I expect the same treatment given were neighbours with the exact same security ? Surely they can't throw the public safety excuse at me ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

jaysblades wrote: »
    A friend of mine has got his .22 pistol licence last month. He didn't need a car safe, in fact it went through in 6 weeks. Mines in 4 weeks now , can I expect the same treatment given were neighbours with the exact same security ? Surely they can't throw the public safety excuse at me ?

They could if it was you that was the issue to public safety, otherwise I don't see why it would be any different. Despite what some people think, the majority of supers do not sit around thinking how to screw firearms applicants over.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

You mentioned on the other thread that you already have a restricted rifle and now applying for .303 aswell as this pistol.... whereas your neighbour may only just have a shotty and a pistol so you cant really compare yourself and neighbour. You could easily be asked for tighter security then your neighbour has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

Gormley85 wrote: »
    You mentioned on the other thread that you already have a restricted rifle and now applying for .303 aswell as this pistol.... whereas your neighbour may only just have a shotty and a pistol so you cant really compare yourself and neighbour. You could easily be asked for tighter security then your neighbour has.

That's true, he has 2 other firearms . I think I have the max security tho, don't know how I could improve it to be honest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'll give you a good one. For the two pistols (when i had two) i had to do interviews, meetings, attendance records, safe in car, etc. My Father, who was also licensed on them, nothing. Not one interview, no meetings, no conditions, nada.

We lived in the same house at the time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

jaysblades wrote: »
    I think I have the max security tho, don't know how I could improve it to be honest

Dont say that. When I applied for my first pistol I had an over eager lad down checking the safe and he was talking about my security was very bad. How the front door could be kicked in with 3 or 4 good kicks, and the wall in the back garden was too high someone could be prying open the kitchen window and the neighbors wouldn't see a thing.
    He was writing all this down anyway and saying that the security is not up to par and he would be imposing strict recommendations.... about a week later I got licence in the post and not a word about it. I'd say that lad was in his 20's at the time. Im dreading now some day in a few years when hes a super. You just know hes going a nightmare to deal with :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Gormley85 wrote: »
    Dont say that. When I applied for my first pistol I had an over eager lad down checking the safe and he was talking about my security was very bad. How the front door could be kicked in with 3 or 4 good kicks, and the wall in the back garden was too high someone could be prying open the kitchen window and the neighbors wouldn't see a thing.
    He was writing all this down anyway and saying that the security is not up to par and he would be imposing strict recommendations.... about a week later I got licence in the post and not a word about it. I'd say that lad was in his 20's at the time. Im dreading now some day in a few years when hes a super. You just know hes going a nightmare to deal with :eek:

Or having taken a liberal dose of the medicine called reality.

All messing aside jaysblades, if all environmental factors are identical the only difference is the applicant so yes the answer could be different based on applicants needs and circumstances. If those are broadly similar I for one would definitely expect a similar response from the local Super.

Advertisement