Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMX bike - help please!

• 07-04-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a BMX bike for a tall 9 year old but know nothing of BMX's. Its only for playing on so nothing fancy needed, but I'd like to avoid complete rubbish. What do I need to spend to get something acceptable and what do I need to look for or avoid. Are Halfords best avoided, this for example:

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/bmx-bikes/voodoo-malice-bmx-bike#tab3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Looks fine. I've read good things about the VooDoo bikes (though not that one specifically).

That's a skate park bike (as opposed to a racing BMX), you can tell by the tiny chainring. Better clearance for obstacles.

3-piece cranks tend to be a sign of reasonable quality.

Dunno about sizing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Lumen wrote: »
    Looks fine. I've read good things about the VooDoo bikes (though not that one specifically).

That's a skate park bike (as opposed to a racing BMX), you can tell by the tiny chainring. Better clearance for obstacles.

3-piece cranks tend to be a sign of reasonable quality.

Dunno about sizing though.

Cheers Lumen, always a font of knowledge :) I was wondering about the chainring size difference alright but wasn't aware of the reason for the difference. Might nip over to Halfords with son and check it out. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

That Voodoo looks decent value, spec says steel frame but I think it's chromoly,, which is lighter which helps if he plans to learn doing tricks with it, and a decent frame is a good starting point as he can upgrade the parts down the road if needs be.
    The weight advertised is 15.5kg on the website but it might be best to get that confirmed in the shop.

BMX can come 18'', 20'' or even 24'' wheel size, this one is the most common 20'.
    The top tube is 20.5'', which I think covers normally a optimum rider height of 155-175cm, but don't quote me on this, everyone is different, get him into the shop and try it out.

We The People and Haro are the known names in BMX as far as I'm aware, but a We The People could set you back €400+
    That's the limit of my BMX knowledge, been toying with buying one for over a year now, but need to sort out another MTB first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rizzodun wrote: »
    That's the limit of my BMX knowledge, been toying with buying one for over a year now, but need to sort out another MTB first!
    Been toying with selling my one for about the same time... :pac:

Will stick it up on the adverts subforum later in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

When considering the chainring size, bear in mind the distances they might travel. My dude is on a heft enough size, but he commutes school. He'd be driven mad with the tiny skatepark size though. I have four here and thinking of selling the racing Redline as it's just not going to be used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

One thing to consider about that particular bike, if your son wants to do tricks or freestyle that bike doesn't have a 360o headset ie. the bars cant spin round without the brake cables getting in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

WillyFXP wrote: »
    One thing to consider about that particular bike, if your son wants to do tricks or freestyle that bike doesn't have a 360o headset ie. the bars cant spin round without the brake cables getting in the way.

The spinner headset was first thing I looked for too.. I longed for one of them back in my 80's BMX days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

WillyFXP wrote: »
    Giros! You don't see them on many BMXs at the minute. No brakes is all the rage so it's not a problem, but of course the shops can't sell bike brakeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The spinner headset was first thing I looked for too.. I longed for one of them back in my 80's BMX days.

Didn't know they even existed back then, I had to be satisfied with spinning them 180 and cycling off with backwards facing handlebars.

Advertisement