Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay per use creche?

Options
  • 07-04-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any creches in Waterford that charge just for the days you use? example, if my missus goes back to working only 3 days a week is there any places that we can use for those 3 days that will only charge for the 3 days?

I ask because i have seen a lot of places charge based on a year, and you end up paying full whack regardless of how many days you do or don't use...

My brother has to pay for his kids even when they go on holidays, 2 full weeks rate for each kid while they are not even there or else they lose their place and the next kids on the waiting list gets in... :/

Things are very tight at the moment so we can't afford to be paying for anything we are not using..

Any help would be great, cheers

H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't help you with names of creches, but it might help to get your head round how creches work.

If you were part of a set up where you could just take your child in on a casual basis then you would find that the creche was 'first come, first served' and later arrivals would be told it was full, which would make things very difficult if you had to get to work. Creches work on tight margins too, and have to abide by regulations about numbers - assistant to child ratios.

If you book your child into a creche they have a place in the creche regardless of whether they are actually there. If they do not turn up it does not make it any cheaper for the people running the creche, the assistants are still there, the heating and lighting is still paid for, the rent is still paid. If your brother has decided to take a couple of weeks off and wants his place held, he has to pay for it, otherwise who will?

Having said that, if you arrange for a 3 day situation with a creche, then it is quite possible for them to take you on, but you will have to pay for the three days regardless of whether the child is there, and it will not be possible to randomly ask them to take the child for an odd extra day if you feel like it.

What you are asking for, and what your brother is experiencing are two completely different things, keep asking round if you could have a regular 3 day arrangement, but don't expect them to do a flexible 'pay by use' system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was working part-time and my kids had a creche place for 2 days a week , I 'owned' those two days, I paid monthly for the place whether I was working those days or not, it worked out pretty well, the other days I worked were either the weekend or my sister took them.

If your days are fixed then creche is perfect , of not then a childminders is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Heathen wrote: »
    if my missus goes back to working only 3 days a week is there any places that we can use for those 3 days that will only charge for the 3 days?

Any help would be great, cheers

H

I have my child in here http://playtogetherchildcare.com/ their up in Gracedieu

We have him in there 3 days a week. They are also flexible as to what days, We're normally Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. But If we had something on say Wednesday we would skip that they and drop Him in Friday.

Now If you are going on holiday you still have to pay for them weeks as also you would have to pay for bank Holidays.

You should give them a call. They can be very accommodating depending on your situation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Thanks for the advise guys

H

• Registered Users Posts: 12 josieannawfd

I have my toddler in Kidzinc in Templars hall. Small friendly place and they're flexible with days. Reasonable rates too

http:// kidzinc . Ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

In Ireland crèche are very small and need the same money every day

In other country were I lived crèche has 200-300 beds/places 24 hours and there were never a problem to bring a child just when you need and they never ask to pay for services or days/hours which were not used but staff has a permanent jobs and full wages.

Imaging a big hospital where you must to pay for 365 days a year just if tou will need may be one day hospitalisation sometimes?

Advertisement