Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn V Liverpool 8/04/15 19:45 BT sports

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Commentator - That was a great shot wasn't it Michael?
    Owen - Yes it was a great shot.
    total silence for a minute or so
    And then there was the commentary about Gestede where he basically said it was a bad decision to have him on the bench. He said he should have started because hamstring injuries will either go early or not at all. He said that having Gestede on the bench meant that his introduction could mean two substitions, him coming on and going off injured, and that starting him was a more sensible option. That is just one of a number of comments he made that I found pleasing. He didn't openly criticise Bowyer for it but he basically did without using his name.

As Pighead says, he mightn't have a great sense of humour but he is doing a good job now. When he first started I thought he was poor but he certainly has improved a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Owen is woeful , he was banging on about a joe Allen handball and said it only took a nick. With the position of Joe Allen's hand if the ball only took a nick then it's a penalty. His hand was in an unnatural position. But yet Owen says it wasn't a a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He's on the radio more now with being on Today FM nearly every time I tune in.

So he's the worse pundit on radio and Michael Owen is the worse pundit on TV.
    So you're both right right. Win win for everyone, obviously apart from anyone who watches TV or listens to the radio.

I have to say I love how Owen gets his cliques wrong. Down the neck of the keeper instead of the throat, there was the motorised mouse as well and who can forget the trout remark.

:confused: clichès Shirley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Owen is woeful , he was banging on about a joe Allen handball and said it only took a nick. With the position of Joe Allen's hand if the ball only took a nick then it's a penalty. His hand was in an unnatural position. But yet Owen says it wasn't a a penalty.
    It's his job to bang on about the Joe Allen handball. He has a producer in his ear saying we're going to show a replay of the Joe Allen handball incident now so get ready to talk about it. Majority of this thread agreed with Owen's assessment that a penalty shouldn't have been given. Even if it should have been a penalty big deal. He's given an opinion. None of our opinions are spot on all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

niallo27 wrote: »
    I remember laughing at that Saturday how the media hate arsenal. How little do they know how insignificant they are.

Oooh Niallo, Saturday still hurts doesnt it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Michael Owen's commentary style summed up

hindsight1.jpg

Pighead wrote: »
    It's his job to bang on about the Joe Allen handball. He has a producer in his ear saying we're going to show a replay of the Joe Allen handball incident now so get ready to talk about it. Majority of this thread agreed with Owen's assessment that a penalty shouldn't have been given. Even if it should have been a penalty big deal. He's given an opinion. None of our opinions are spot on all of the time.

Yes but his opinion was stupid , it took a nick off his arm but it wasn't a penalty. A handball is a handball at the end of the day. If a decision like that wasn't given for Liverpool I'm sure people would have been up in arms about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yes but his opinion was stupid , it took a nick off his arm but it wasn't a penalty. A handball is a handball at the end of the day. If a decision like that wasn't given for Liverpool I'm sure people would have been up in arms about it.
    Wrong. A handball by itself is not a foul. The rule clearly states it has to be deliberate handball and as such the Allen incident is up for debate. You're assertion that a handball is a handball at the end of the day is worse than anything Owen said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

:confused: clichès Shirley?

No cliques, he always getting the match thread saps mixed with the plastics (I mean those girls out of mean girsl and not Chelsea fans :pac:) and don't call me Shirley.

Pighead wrote: »
    Wrong. A handball by itself is not a foul. The rule clearly states it has to be deliberate handball and as such the Allen incident is up for debate. You're assertion that a handball is a handball at the end of the day is worse than anything Owen said.

You must be blind so , what was Allen's arm doing out like that it's an un natural position so it's a deliberate attempt to handle the ball and if a penalty was given then I wouldn't have argues with the ref for it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

niallo27 wrote: »
    Villa are ****e. Liverpool and arsenal final will be great to watch. You would have to fancy Liverpool when it's outside the Emirates.

Why do ya think that? :confused: also both teams still have to make the final, not a foregone conclusion by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Commentator - That was a great shot wasn't it Michael?
    Owen - Yes it was a great shot.
    total silence for a minute or so

Sounds to me that Commentator asked him a question and he answered it. Would you have liked for him to elaborate how great the shot was? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Sounds to me that Commentator asked him a question and he answered it. Would you have liked for him to elaborate how great the shot was? :confused:

Yes - something like* -he hit with the outside of his boot which is never an easy skill to pull off, however the movement of x to drag the defender away really opened it up for him to hit it. It's been a huge feature of their game of late where over lapping defenders and wingers open up the defence for attackers/midfielders to have a go etc.etc

It's not asking much is it?? He gave him a cue to give a deeper analysis of the game/build up but he doesn't have it in him.

* I didn't see the game so I dont know what led to the shot, just giving an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Michael Owen is terrible. He a frightful bore who seems to advocate diving or 'buying' fouls. Drives me up the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Why do ya think that? :confused: also both teams still have to make the final, not a foregone conclusion by any means.
    Might as well say you'd have to fancy Arsenal because it's not at Anfield. Means feck all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Owen is very annoying when a player gets injured. Keeps going on like a qualified physio just because he was injury prone when he was a player. We get it u had this injury too ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Vanolder wrote: »
    Yes - something like* -he hit with the outside of his boot which is never an easy skill to pull off, however the movement of x to drag the defender away really opened it up for him to hit it. It's been a huge feature of their game of late where over lapping defenders and wingers open up the defence for attackers/midfielders to have a go etc.etc

It's not asking much is it?? He gave him a cue to give a deeper analysis of the game/build up but he doesn't have it in him.

* I didn't see the game so I dont know what led to the shot, just giving an example.

I was even giving a specific example, just a hypothetical and I would expect something like what you posted.
    Not that I expect to be enlightened overly much by the colour commentator but at least put the effort in like Gary Neville does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You must be blind so , what was Allen's arm doing out like that it's an un natural position so it's a deliberate attempt to handle the ball and if a penalty was given then I wouldn't have argues with the ref for it .

Hold on, it wasn't in an unnatural position. He bent over to try to head the ball away and his arm is where you'd expect it. It's all a natural movement, all meant to try to head it away. The fact he missed the ball and it grazed his arm hair doesn't make it a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

MD1990 wrote: »
    Owen is very annoying when a player gets injured. Keeps going on like a qualified physio just because he was injury prone when he was a player. We get it u had this injury too ffs.

In fairness, he's a good insight into certain injuries and how it feels, what it's like recovering etc.

I can put up with Owen just about, but Robbie Savage's involved in co commentary, punditry and analysis is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

MD1990 wrote: »

So Owen goes into details on Injury, which people find annoying.
    Owen doesn't go into enough detail with his general analysis which people find annoying.

Crikey.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement