Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good fly fishing outfit for a beginner

• 07-04-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hello and I have been wanting to start fly fishing for a while now as it took me ages to get around to it.I was wondering if any of ye know where I can find a good flt rod and reel including backing,leader,a selection of flies and whatever is required for fly fishing?I have tried to find stuff but I would like to know from the experienced people on this forum.I would like it to be affordable but good as I will have to do chores to save up the money for the rod.I was looking at 9' and 6 weight but I am open for suggestions.I would like to fish for brown and rainbow trout,but here's the thing.The lake I like fishing in has a lot of brownies but there is also a run of sea trout and I think a very occasional salmon(I'm not sure about the salmon) and I fear that if I catch a salmon or sea trout by an accident while trying to catch a brownie and if I choose a rod that is too weak.So I am very open to suggestions to the weight rod.But I have another problem,many of the brownies in the lake are smallish with some largish ones and 2+ pounders.So I would like to know the best weight in my circumstance.

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Hello and I have been wanting to start fly fishing for a while now as it took me ages to get around to it.I was wondering if any of ye know where I can find a good flt rod and reel including backing,leader,a selection of flies and whatever is required for fly fishing?I have tried to find stuff but I would like to know from the experienced people on this forum.I would like it to be affordable but good as I will have to do chores to save up the money for the rod.I was looking at 9' and 6 weight but I am open for suggestions.I would like to fish for brown and rainbow trout,but here's the thing.The lake I like fishing in has a lot of brownies but there is also a run of sea trout and I think a very occasional salmon(I'm not sure about the salmon) and I fear that if I catch a salmon or sea trout by an accident while trying to catch a brownie and if I choose a rod that is too weak.So I am very open to suggestions to the weight rod.But I have another problem,many of the brownies in the lake are smallish with some largish ones and 2+ pounders.So I would like to know the best weight in my circumstance.

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

Well as I said a Shakespeare agility either a 9' 5 weight or 6 if I were you I'd go with a 5 weight better presentation, with dry flies and light line, go on to www.fishingmegastore.com and search for a Shakespeare agility there is a combo with it with everything, line, leader,flies. For about 140 euro, as for fly I'd go to a local tackle shop and ask for advice because certain lakes or rivers have "deadly flies" like at my local river i have tied up a real good fly that's works only in that river(even thought I haven't really tried it anywhere else only 2 rivers) as for the salmon a 6 weight would be good but, say you did get on a 6 weight it would take ages for the salmon to get in the net which decreases its chances of survival, so I would just get the 5 for better presandation, and good sport if you caught a big brownie, I caught a 6lb on my local river using that fly as I mentioned on a 4 weight and It was a good fight I could bully the fish, but I didn't as I was sh*ting my pants!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Thanks for the reply.I have looked at the agility rod but I will think about it.I am open to more suggestions as the agility is a bit expensive but I will think about it.

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.I have looked at the agility rod but I will think about it.I am open to more suggestions as the agility is a bit expensive but I will think about it.

It's not that expensive, like for that rod its superb Its really good bang for your buck rod and Shakespeare is great company,you couldn't buy another rod for that price and get what the agility offers, review here if the link works(this is a 6foot 3 weight one I know but thats all I got)

http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/fly-fishing-tackle-reviews-member-ratings/279568-shakespeare-agility-rise-6-3-a.html

The Shakespeare is looking much more attractive to me now.Can I get it with a reel and line and backing?I have my eyes on another cheaper rod and I don't have to save up as much money for that as I would with te Shakespeare.

Here is a link hopefully itl work you get 2 lines a floating Line and sinker

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shakespeare-agility-fly~14069.html

• Advertisement

Thanks the link works.It looks great.I will still think about it though.

Here is a link hopefully itl work you get 2 lines a floating Line and sinker

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shakespeare-agility-fly~14069.html

I am buying this rod now another thanks for the link.

Advertisement