Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broken lawnmower

• 08-04-2015 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Hi there. Heavy handed Husband broke the mower at the weekend. Mower is only a couple of years old and he's already broken the box twice and the belt I think it was last year. The blades were wrecked from him going over stones and it got a pretty decent service before being stored for the winter. So he took it out for the first time at the weekend and in spite of me reminding him to raise the blades for the first cut he didn't. So as he neared the end - having left more grass on the lawn than if he was making silage - he tried to plough through some particularly difficult grass and he broke "a bit of black plastic" off from underneath. Best as I can figure out the self propelling bit is ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Hi there. Heavy handed Husband broke the mower at the weekend. Mower is only a couple of years old and he's already broken the box twice and the belt I think it was last year. The blades were wrecked from him going over stones and it got a pretty decent service before being stored for the winter. So he took it out for the first time at the weekend and in spite of me reminding him to raise the blades for the first cut he didn't. So as he neared the end - having left more grass on the lawn than if he was making silage - he tried to plough through some particularly difficult grass and he broke "a bit of black plastic" off from underneath. Best as I can figure out the self propelling bit is ...
    Thanks for sharing, that's a really really really nice story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

So I guess the OP is not "happywithlife" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Sorry on the phone and it won't let me finish op ..
    Anyway I reckon it's the self propelling bit is broken. It's a basic enough mower nothing too fancy. There's two handles either side of the main handle. Inner one for keeping the mower running and outer one for gears / self propelling. Sorry I don't have the proper lingo.
    Typical though we haven't a bean to our name and with a big family event coming up I didn't need this expense but the mower must be fixed. So two questions
    1. Can we use it in the meantime before getting fixed? We'd just gave to push it ourselves.
    2. Can anyone give me a rough guide as to cost of repair. Are we talking €50/100/150/+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Can you post a picture of the broken parts. It'll help in getting the answers to your questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Avns1s wrote: »
    Can you post a picture of the broken parts. It'll help in getting the answers to your questions.

Will try and get a pic later thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it a ride on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

no obviously not a ride on? who would push a ride on?

^^^^^^^^^^

no mention of pushing in OP

1. Can we use it in the meantime before getting fixed? We'd just gave to push it ourselves.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

as i said no mention of pushing in the original/first post

• Advertisement

whatever pedantic pat its not a ride on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Sorry on the phone and it won't let me finish op ..

I had a similar experience with mine; I just took off the belt that drove the wheels and pushed it. It had only one speed anyway, which was quite slow, so I was often quicker pushing it at my own pace.
    It is harder work though!!

Advertisement