Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth Photo opportunities

Options
  • 08-04-2015 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at learning the trade of photography, purely for my own satisfaction. Can't see myself making money from it. But I'm looking at a few spots where scenery is nice, there's unusual buildings etc.

I'm not really into the historical e.g churches, newgrange etc.

I want to see the towns of Louth in sexy light, similar to those you see of dublin.

Any suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Would it not be better to join a local camera club ?

Never joined one myself, but I imagine they may set up little trips to various locations. Try the photography forum for local clubs.

Some of the best outdoor shots tend to be in dramatic light, eg. sunrise, sunset, fog, night time long exposure shots etc.
    So timing can be as important as location.

But if I had to guess a few places to photograph, then maybe the railway bridge over the Boyne in Drogheda, Beaulieu House,
    around Clogherhead coastline in between Clogherhead village and Port Oriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

Or google images of Louth and get inspiration from photographers who've sussed out some great locations there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Variant on your location both Dundalk Camera Club and Mid Louth Camera Club are exceptional clubs and will guide you and help you develop your skills as well as help you with locations.

Dundalk were recently voted the best club in the country (if not world??)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

generally when you google this you hust get the old buildings or opw sites. Can yous think of anywhere unusual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    generally when you google this you hust get the old buildings or opw sites. Can yous think of anywhere unusual?

You're limited yourself to landscapes and architectural features.

Having an eye for a nice photo is important too.
    Eg. a close up photo of moist moss growing on a wall, or a monochrome photo of a bleak/derelict street. Framing a shot of a bridge with a river under it just right.

Keep an eye on when there's a full moon over certain locations and hope for clear skies.
    Or go to one of the bridges over the M1 at night time and try a few long exposure photos where the headlights become a stream of light.

Other places to consider are old graveyards, rockpools on the beach, up close photos of flowers and insects or wildlife.

There's the usual photos of rural scenes too, ploughed fields, haystacks, etc.

Or the historian angle, where you document the everyday life of people (with their permission :p)

• Advertisement
Advertisement